Some help from someone in the know please...

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
A few days ago I posted about my parental units PC taking a dive on them. Well I talked them into letting me build them a PC instead of buying one and I need a little input.

I'm going to get everyting at a local PC store and am looking at a celly 566. I was looking at the stores web site and it said celeron 566 $109 and then Celeron II 600 $129. Isn't the 566 a celly II also. I thought every thing above 533 was the new .18 chip or did the ad just read wrong?

One more thing, should I just get them a PPGA board so I don't have to mess with the adapter or go for the slot 1 board. I'm not looking to o/c it ,but the wife has an Abit be6-II and a celly 466 and the adapter is a cheap one and I would rather not go that route again.

They sell both Asus and Abit...as far as slot 1 go they have on there site a Asus p3bf and a p3v-4x and a cuv-4x. The Abit boards are a Be6-II and a va6. they have PPGA boards ,a Asus me99. I have abit boards in mine and the wifes and know nothing about asus. Are they any better or just as good as abit?

Thanks a ton for the help.

Bill L.

Oct 19, 1999
"I was looking at the stores web site and it said celeron 566 $109 and then Celeron II 600 $129. Isn't the 566 a celly II also. I thought evry thing above 533 was the new .18 chip or did the ad just read wrong?"

You probably read the add right, it's just that the add is wrong 'cause there ain't no such thing as a "Celeron 2". That is a term used exclusively in the Overclockers tribe, and the Goudge em tribe (oops, I mean the On line store tribe) doesn't speak the same language, and so they don't understand us sometimes, and they use our language wrong, and we sure as heck don't understand them. So, don't you go talking any S-Spec and stepping and PPGA and FCPGA and such to the On line store tribe, cause they are likely to think you are doing some kind of voo-doo ritual curse on them, and they are likely to kill you and cook you and eat you, cause that what a lot of those primitive tribes do, cause thay ain't as advanced and civilized as us.

Short version: Celeron 533A and evertyhing higher is the .18 (FCPGA)chip.

I'm doing a from scratch system, and an upgrade right now. After a good bit of research I'm using the Abit BF6 for both. Reason for slot 1 is that I might find a good deal on a slot 1 PIII in the future and I couldn't use it in the socket 370 MB. Both upgrades will use FCPGA CPUs right now, and I'm using the Abit Slotket!!!. Never had a bit of problem with that setup. Been using Abit MBs for a while with NO problems. Don't know anything about Asus.

Bill

Nick Stone

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Actually if you study these threads for a few hours you'll find that most people recommend going the CII route for upgrades on a BX MB generally using the same ram and video card.
If you're starting fresh, then buying a PIII700 cBO (a little over $200) that should O/C to 933mhz is the hot setup. You still have to carefully select PC133 SDram, and a video card that will run above 89mhz FSB. (see Anand's 3 week old review on these video cards)
Good luck!