Some dude posted his favorite DOS games.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
As a kid I liked Midnight Rescue (not on the list). Also what about Sokoban? Lots of time wasted on that one...

Didn't know MechWarrior 2 & WarCraft II was DOS. By the time I played them I was using Win95 and didn't know the difference I suppose.

Also I had lots of fun with Rampage!!! I think that is a major miss on this list! Two players on one keyboard was a blast.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
Brings back memories. I've played 35 games from that list. Finished most of them, but still some of the games in there are on my to-do list. Good thing that dosbox exists. I really have to play I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream, Day of the Tentacle, Realms of Arkania and Ultima VII.

The list was good, the only thing I was a bit surprised to find there was Rise of the Triad which wasn't that good. And Space Quest is missing!

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I still play Moo2 rarely but that's about it. Played many of those games though

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I still play Moo2 rarely but that's about it. Played many of those games though

I play it a lot. And several others on that list.

I should like point out not all of them are fun. I thought Raptor was good shit back in the day, just got it from GOG a couple months ago. Totally unplayable. Jets n Guns is so much better, I cant go back.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Wing Commander/II/Privateers was a ton of fun.
TIE Fighter was a major upgrade to the X-Wing series.
Kings Question/Police Quest/Space Quest were must plays for me.
Civilization and Colonization were classics as was Doom.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Kind of OT but have you checked out Sine Mora yet? I think you'd like it if you like those kinds of games!

I play it a lot. And several others on that list.

I should like point out not all of them are fun. I thought Raptor was good shit back in the day, just got it from GOG a couple months ago. Totally unplayable. Jets n Guns is so much better, I cant go back.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Kind of OT but have you checked out Sine Mora yet? I think you'd like it if you like those kinds of games!

It's a cool side scroller shooter with a tad of Starfox influence. The list of DOS games linked represents a lot of genre. This serves as a reminder of how today's games owe a lot to those DOS days.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
OMFG, I forgot about Carmageddon and Crusader: No Remorse. Man those games fucking rocked.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
bunch of those on sale this weekend at gog including the moo series.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Played all of them because TES: Arena - most not played it as it was even ah heck than the mess we call Daggerfall - *which to date is still the biggest TES gameplay world of all*

Fun fact - there were only two direct sequels to Arena......Daggerfall and Morrowwind; rest were spinoffs; or chapter spin offs.......

Battlespire; Redguard; and the one that most didn't know that came out Elder Scroll Travels: Shadowkey......:)

Oblivion and now Skyrim - again chapter spin offs not direct sequels......:)

god I remember all these games - sooo good some are - some not so good :)

Mar 10, 2005
the romans had toilets, and then for the next 1500 years people crapped in a bucket and threw it out the window. mechwarrior 2 and the current video game industry reminds me of that.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Very nice, it brings back memories of my very early days of PC gaming. The ones from the list I do remember playing originally on DOS include DOOM II, Duke Nukem 3D and Tyrian. I think I've played a few others on DOS but I can't recall for sure right now.

Also, there's many of them I heard of years ago, but completely forgot about them until seeing this list. That includes Shadow Warrior (never played it, but heard about it, or probably read about it in some old PC gaming magazines), Strife (pretty sure I saw that one at my local store's PC demonstration stand many years ago, but I'm not sure anymore) and Bioforge (I'm sure I played it at my local store, just looking at that single picture on the list rings "you played that" to me, just can't recall anything about it other than I'm sure I've played it).

I'll have to go on YouTube and watch footage of some of them. I'm sure I'll have fun clarifying how old I am.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
Battlespire; Redguard; and the one that most didn't know that came out Elder Scroll Travels: Shadowkey......:)

Redguard was pretty good for what it was...but only 2 hours long. i bought it on Friday, and was finished by Friday night.

Battlespire was just....ungh

And yeah, I've never heard of Shadowkey