Some 360 owners are really, really sad

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Robor
Microsoft didn't use the easiest and quickest method (an XBL message) to communicate the problem to their paying customers. There is ZERO excuse for that not happening. Period. I've never seen an XBL problem before this issue started so why would I just assume something that's been 100% stable since I purchased my 360 is the problem?

I'm a casual gamer. I play once a week or maybe twice every three weeks and that's it as far as games go. Outside this forum I don't spend any time reading reading gaming websites and like I said this is the first I've seen of the XBL issue.

You can poo poo the lawsuit all you want but the fact is it was the lawsuit rather than Microsoft that informed me of the XBL issue. Don't you find that a bit ironic?

If MS has been doing such a great job that your service has been 100% stable up until now then why is it that a one time offense such as this one merits a lawsuit? That kind of thinking alone is pretty shitty even though I realize it happens in the US far more than in it should and I really don't blame you for it. I blame lawyers but that is a whole different topic.

Also, it is the lawsuit which is currently restricting you from getting more information and it is this lawsuit which may convince MS to restrict you from getting good information from them if future problems occur. I do understand that the pendulum could swing the other way but it could easily backfire needlessly. I doubt the guys who are pushing for this suit even considered that.

btw, are you still experiencing issues?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Even people who are not overly smart would have attempted to go to xbox.com to look for a message if the service were down. Oddly enough there was no message posted there either. Just because the service is down doesn't mean MS couldn't have got a message out. And stop being so overdramatic with the 'take out a commercial!' garbage.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
You know...I have Comcast cable internet which I am not happy with but that is a different story. A lot of people have them as their ISP. A lot of people experience low speeds or distorted picture if they purchase their cable television service. When this happens, people call and they complain and find out what is going on. They sometimes get compensated too but that compensation is very minimal. Comcast doesn't send e-mails when your picture is distorted or internet speeds are slow. They don't post easy to find messages on their site. Yet, you do not see a lawsuit taking place each time this kind of problem occurs in a particular area. Granted, people have filed big suits against them in the past but it isn't for every incident involving performance issues.

Why? Because it isn't worth it for every incident. It solves nothing. Yet their track record of quality service is far less than the track record of XBL. So why is this incident with XBL causing such a fuss? No service offers perfect quality and 100% availability but XBL isn't far from it especially when you compare most of other forms of digital services.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Microsoft didn't use the easiest and quickest method (an XBL message) to communicate the problem to their paying customers. There is ZERO excuse for that not happening. Period. I've never seen an XBL problem before this issue started so why would I just assume something that's been 100% stable since I purchased my 360 is the problem?

I'm a casual gamer. I play once a week or maybe twice every three weeks and that's it as far as games go. Outside this forum I don't spend any time reading reading gaming websites and like I said this is the first I've seen of the XBL issue.

You can poo poo the lawsuit all you want but the fact is it was the lawsuit rather than Microsoft that informed me of the XBL issue. Don't you find that a bit ironic?

If MS has been doing such a great job that your service has been 100% stable up until now then why is it that a one time offense such as this one merits a lawsuit? That kind of thinking alone is pretty shitty even though I realize it happens in the US far more than in it should and I really don't blame you for it. I blame lawyers but that is a whole different topic.

Also, it is the lawsuit which is currently restricting you from getting more information and it is this lawsuit which may convince MS to restrict you from getting good information from them if future problems occur. I do understand that the pendulum could swing the other way but it could easily backfire needlessly. I doubt the guys who are pushing for this suit even considered that.

btw, are you still experiencing issues?

It's wasn't (isn't?) a one time offense. It happened to me and my on 2 concurrent weeks and I don't even play that much. If it happened to me both times I tried to play over a 2 week period I'm guessing it affected gamers who play a lot much more than me.

If MS is using this lawsuit as reason to not inform gamers then they are only going to further hurt their case. I would have been fine if they had notified me of the problem. They did not and still have not. That is why I'm angry about this issue and that's why there's a class action lawsuit.

Also, there's a big difference between this XBL issue and a cable company notifying you about an outage. It's not like they can send you an Email or pop a message up on your TV screen informing you of the problem. Microsoft could have and should have sent an XBL message. For whatever reason they didn't and IMO that's their big mistake.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

It's wasn't (isn't?) a one time offense. It happened to me and my on 2 concurrent weeks and I don't even play that much. If it happened to me both times I tried to play over a 2 week period I'm guessing it affected gamers who play a lot much more than me.

If MS is using this lawsuit as reason to not inform gamers then they are only going to further hurt their case. I would have been fine if they had notified me of the problem. They did not and still have not. That is why I'm angry about this issue and that's why there's a class action lawsuit.

Also, there's a big difference between this XBL issue and a cable company notifying you about an outage. It's not like they can send you an Email or pop a message up on your TV screen informing you of the problem. Microsoft could have and should have sent an XBL message. For whatever reason they didn't and IMO that's their big mistake.

How is it not a one time offense if it is the same incident? You can't just keeping adding them up based on the number of times you tried to log on to Live and play. That just shows the severity of that one problem they are having.

I never said anything about outages when I brought up the Comcast example. I used slow speeds and distorted picture as the examples there because I felt that was closer to the "outage" situation with Live. Like it has already been mentioned in this thread, XBL did not undergo a complete outage since these messages you are talking about could still be sent supposedly. Besides, they can send you messages on your TV. That is why you get messages on the TV from them when there is a complete outage just like there are messages and tests on your 360 which show you when XBL is the problem. Comcast can also send you e-mails when internet speeds are slow, but they don't. It's a very fair and comparable example.