[SOLVED] Windows 8.1 OS Issues - Start Menu and File Explorer Not Working

luchvk

Dec 4, 2014
Hello.

Recently I've tried to migrate my OS to an SSD but I didn't have a program that would allow me to transfer only the OS. I have an mSATA SSD and I want to use it as a boot drive. So being that my HDD contained too much data for my SSD I decided to transfer some of the data from my main HDD to a portable one. In the process of doing that I think I may have moved some system files. The key locations that I transferred data from, that I think caused this problem, were "C: \Users\(username)\AppData/Local," "C: \Users\(username)\AppData\LocalLow," and "C: \ProgramData." After the transfer I started to get issues with my computer working properly. The Start Menu was the first thing that I noticed that stopped working correctly, and the "File Explorer" icon in the taskbar. Though, when I plugged the portable HDD into the computer, that I transferred the files to, the Start Menu started to work again (the images for the app tiles were a little buggy), the FIle Explorer started to work fine too. Being that my computer wasn't functioning properly I decided that I would transfer the files back onto my main HDD and get my computer working properly before I tried to migrate my OS. Transferring the files back onto my computer came with little issue but the situation was still the same, the Start menu wouldn't work unless I had the portable HDD plugged in. At this point I my PC was degrading, so I decided to run a PC tuning software (Advanced System Care 7.2 Free). This detected problems with the computer and fixed those problems, but the Start Menu still wasn't working; I had the portable HDD unplugged during the scanning and fixing process. This didn't correct the Start Menu issue so I decided to use a different program that was suggested to me, CCleaner. I ran the registry cleaner a few times and allowed it to fix the issue that it detected, I also ran the regular cleaner for the System and File Explorer; the portable HDD was unplugged during this process as well. This didn't work either, except now the "File Explorer" icon in the Taskbar isn't working, the explorer crashes then restarts (this happens every time I click it), even when I plug in the portable HDD. I can't restore my computer to it's factory state either because my computer won't open "Change PC Settings" in the charmsbar. Right now, all of the programs that I've tried still work and I can navigate my computer by opening a folder (not the File Explorer, that still crashes), it seems like I can access any folder on my computer in this manner. I forgot to mention, right clicking on any directory, shortcut, or file causes the File Explorer to crash too. The Start Menu still doesn't work also.

I don't know what happened with my computer but I have a good feeling that it's a registry issue. Even if it is, I still don't know how to fix it. Can someone please help me with this?

Last edited:

luchvk

Dec 4, 2014

Sounds like it's time for a full-up reinstall.

Thank you I had trouble finding a way to do so. I couldn't access PC settings in order to boot into Advanced Recovery Options. But I did find out about holding Shift to get to that menu. I reset my PC to it's factory settings from there. Problem Solved! Thank you. :biggrin: