Question [SOLVED] Should I get a new Case or a MOBO to fit RX Vega64?

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
So my PSU died and PCIe 3.0 slot is dead too. Got a new PSU. Old thread here.

The problem I am facing is: since 2nd PCIe slot is located at the lower side of the MOBO, the length and width of the RX Vega 64 is now interfering with the SSD bays of the case. Even though I have no SSD there but there is some metal partitioning there which is not allowing the graphics card to sit. Card is longer, check the "Problem Area":
mobo-3.jpg mobo-5.jpg

As you can see this metal section has been fixed permanently. So can't remove it. This an Antec GX202 case. The width from the end to the "Problem Area" is 11" while the graphics card is 13" long . The part of the card which has output stays outside the case for screws and the ports. So I guess 1" is that. Hence any 12" wide space wil do. Either I need to buy a new case or a new MOBO. For now I am running the set-up on cardboard box.

Antec on its website says GX202 can handle 375 mm of graphics card length (14.5") but they may be assuming that a person uses the first PCIe slot:

https://www.antec.com/product/case/gx202

From the pics people have posted in the reviews, this case looks like has a lot of space (and it doesn't have that SSD bays problem area, at least from the pics):

https://www.amazon.in/Ant-Esports-ICE-300-Computer-Cabinet/dp/B09X5QSMGB/

But at double the price of that case, I can get a new cheaper b450 MOBO itself:

https://www.amazon.in/MSI-PRO-MAX-II-Motherboard/dp/B0CJ2PXTQ5/

But then there is this case which can handle 335 mm GPUs:

https://www.flipkart.com/ant-esports-elite-1200-support-atx-mb-pre-installed-3-front-fans-1-rear-fan-mid-tower-cabinet/p/itm26e4ed17fdd8f

P.S: One thing I have noticed is graphics card is not used much (even for playing 4K x265 videos). Looks like browsing, youtube, VLC, coding etc, don't depend on GPU much. RX vega 64 barely runs for 30 seconds when it heats up (like every 15-20 minutes or so). Most of the times it's the CPU which is changing fan speed. Just pointing out that maybw next time when I build a PC, I just won't get a graphics card, a simple CPU with gpu would do ( like Ryzen 5600G) or get a smaller graphics card as long as it supports x264/265 codecs.

Feb 25, 2011
IME a motherboard with some dead components is simply waiting to have more dead components and will need replacement sooner or later (probably sooner) anyway.

So if your case would work with the GPU in the uppermost slot, I'd just replace the motherboard. Even though the motherboard is the more expensive option in the short term.

I'd also be looking at full ATX motherboards, not micro-ATX boards.

In2Photos

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
I posted this in your other thread but figured I'd mention in here too.

Did you try putting the GPU back in the top slot just to make sure it was seated properly?

Those rivets holding the hard drive cage could easily be drilled out so you could remove the entire cage if you are not using it. Do you have access to a drill and a drill bit?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
P.S: One thing I have noticed is graphics card is not used much (even for playing 4K x265 videos). Looks like browsing, youtube, VLC, coding etc, don't depend on GPU much. RX vega 64 barely runs for 30 seconds when it heats up (like every 15-20 minutes or so). Most of the times it's the CPU which is changing fan speed. Just pointing out that maybw next time when I build a PC, I just won't get a graphics card, a simple CPU with gpu would do ( like Ryzen 5600G) or get a smaller graphics card as long as it supports x264/265 codecs.
You're in a bit of a catch 22 scenario here.

GPU = old
Slot = dead

My thoughts would be a simple CPU upgrade for better performance and solve the GPU issue since the newer options have one built in and you don't seem to be needing a dedicated GPU and only have it for the old CPU that doesn't have one built in.

The other option to contend with is the dead slot but, if you don't need the slot for something else it's pointless to replace the board. However, if you're going to put $$$ into it you might consider an uplift to AM5 670/870 and a 7xxx CPU / DDR5. It depends on how much money you have to play with.

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
IME a motherboard with some dead components is simply waiting to have more dead components and will need replacement sooner or later (probably sooner) anyway.

So if your case would work with the GPU in the uppermost slot, I'd just replace the motherboard. Even though the motherboard is the more expensive option in the short term.

I'd also be looking at full ATX motherboards, not micro-ATX boards.
okay, this is new to me. B450 motherboards are not that expensive (like one link I posted earlier) . I can get one. But then I need to get a Wi-Fi card and bluetooth dongle extra for cheap MOBOs don't come with such facilities.

Also, why not micro-ATX?

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
Did you try putting the GPU back in the top slot just to make sure it was seated properly?

Oh, yeah tried like hell. That slot is just dead and gone.

I can get a drill and a drill bit. Any particular locations to drill to take that cage out intelligently?

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
You're in a bit of a catch 22 scenario here.

GPU = old
Slot = dead

My thoughts would be a simple CPU upgrade for better performance and solve the GPU issue since the newer options have one built in and you don't seem to be needing a dedicated GPU and only have it for the old CPU that doesn't have one built in.

The other option to contend with is the dead slot but, if you don't need the slot for something else it's pointless to replace the board. However, if you're going to put $$$ into it you might consider an uplift to AM5 670/870 and a 7xxx CPU / DDR5. It depends on how much money you have to play with.
Yes, I did think about getting new stuff but the budget constraint does not allow. Also, I move a lot these days because of both work and personal stuff, hence saved money aside in case I need a laptop few months down the line. Only when I am home weekends /holidays, I get time to learn on desktop. Whenever I build one, I will prefer integrated gpu like 5600G on a B450.

Feb 25, 2011
okay, this is new to me. B450 motherboards are not that expensive (like one link I posted earlier) . I can get one. But then I need to get a Wi-Fi card and bluetooth dongle extra for cheap MOBOs don't come with such facilities.

Also, why not micro-ATX?
On the average, a micro-ATX will be about the same price as an ATX motherboard that is otherwise similar. And the full size board will have more expansion slots and stuff.

In2Photos

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Oh, yeah tried like hell. That slot is just dead and gone.

I can get a drill and a drill bit. Any particular locations to drill to take that cage out intelligently?
You drill out the rivets you circled in this picture and likely the other 2 to the left. These are what hold the cage to the bottom of the case. I'd guess something like a 7/64" or 1/8" drill bit would do the trick.

mobo-2.jpg

Reactions: arnuld

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
You drill out the rivets you circled in this picture and likely the other 2 to the left. These are what hold the cage to the bottom of the case. I'd guess something like a 7/64" or 1/8" drill bit would do the trick.

View attachment 109273

Yes, I drilled those rivets out and you were right, 1/8" is exactly what I needed to take it out easily and cleanly. Now, RX Vega 64 is running on PCIe 2.0 slot, and MOBO is back into the case, all running great. Many thanks to you and this forum here. Now let's see how long this MOBO and RX Vega 64 last.