Solved: Repairing IE11 website icon rendering in W10

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I'm having an issue with IE 11 not showing buttons here in AT on my desktop. My laptop and tablet show them just fine in IE 11. I've tried removing IE and reinstalling it but nothing changed. I've tried changing the activex settings in internet options but that didn't do anything. Does anyone have a suggestion that I might try to fix this problem? Thank you.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I don't think ActiveX has anything to do with the buttons on this forum. I'm on iOS mobile Safari, so...

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
My issue occurred after I had problems with Malwarebytes 3 which I've since removed from my system. Once I rid myself of the menace and came here I could no longer see the forum controls anywhere on this page. I can see the large post reply and more options at the bottom but everything else is just blanked out. My other browsers see them just fine and IE on my other two pc's see them as well. This problem is specific to my desktop.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I've tried repairing the windows icon database but I still see blank spots here when I view the page. All other browsers show the icons in their boxes. I tried running the command prompt in admin mode to repair the windows icon database but that didn't help IE any. I'm currently looking for a MS fixit tool and welcome any suggestions that you might have to help me correct this problem. I found this site which demonstrates that other people also have a similar issue. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
When you say "not showing buttons" what do you mean? Can you be more specific? Can you click on anything?

What happens if you go into Internet Options from the Control Panel and tell it to delete everything? Then sign in to AT?

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Clearly, when you ran Malware Bytes, it took out something it should not have. There should be a log and a way to restore items that it took out that it was not supposed to. Worst case, can you restore an Image to your computer ? ? Or how about try System Restore to a day or two before all the trouble began ? ? ? Doesn't always work, but it might and save a lot of grief.

How do I restore an item Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Remediation Tool has quarantined?
To restore a quarantined item in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Remediation Tool*:

1. Launch the Remediation Tool
  2. Click the Quarantine Tab
  3. Locate the item you wish to restore and select it
  4. Click Restore
If you have deleted the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Remediation Tool from the computer, you will be unable to restore any quarantined items, as they are deleted with the tool.

*Note: This does not apply to Malwarebytes Breach Remediation and is only intended for legacy versions of the product.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
When you say "not showing buttons" what do you mean? Can you be more specific? Can you click on anything?

What happens if you go into Internet Options from the Control Panel and tell it to delete everything? Then sign in to AT?
This is what I see at the top of the message dialogue box now. Notice how all of the icons are missing and the same goes for other icons around the page like the quick navigation icon. I've already removed Malwarebytes from my pc and have no intention of restoring it whatsoever. I've already tried resetting IE, removed and reinstalled it, ran the icon repair commands in command prompt yet only IE is affected by this issue and all other browsers work fine including edge. I also periodically get black boxes in my favorites when I open the drop down menu to select a site from them.
missingicons.JPG

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I've tried reinstalling java since these little icons are javascript and I was having an issue with it running in IE but that didn't make a difference. I can still see all of these little buttons in every other browser I have just not in IE which is completely stupid.d I've tried repairing IE, repairing/reinstalling java, repaired the font and icon databases through command prompt and nothing works. The last resort will be another clean install of windows but I really don't want to do that right now.

When I ran sfc /scannow it reported back that there were not any errors with the system files so whatever is wrong is specific to IE and no other browser.

Last edited:

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Check that "Enable Enhanced Protection Mode" is not turned on in IE 11 ... under Tools, Options, Advanced .. Also clear out all the cookies related to the website with the issue, shut and restart browser and try again. You could also try to run the website in Compatability Mode and see what happens. Also check that IE 11 is allowing websites to choose their own fonts. Some sites, like Yahoo Email want their own fonts or icons in the the email will not display. Note: If Ketchup is correct about Java you should at Java 8 Update 111 ... that is the latest one

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Go to this page and hit "agree and continue."
https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
If it doesn't run, you need to re-install Java for IE:
https://www.java.com/en/
I already used the standalone installer for 8 build 111 which they recommend for installation issues which uses the full files and it did nothing to change my issue.
Check that "Enable Enhanced Protection Mode" is not turned on in IE 11 ... under Tools, Options, Advanced .. Also clear out all the cookies related to the website with the issue, shut and restart browser and try again. You could also try to run the website in Compatability Mode and see what happens. Also check that IE 11 is allowing websites to choose their own fonts. Some sites, like Yahoo Email want their own fonts or icons in the the email will not display. Note: If Ketchup is correct about Java you should at Java 8 Update 111 ... that is the latest one
I tried compatibility mode already and nothing changed. I tried resetting all IE settings to default and it still does the same thing. EI is the only browser affected by this issue and only on my desktop.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
It sounds like your windows fonts are messed up. What you can try is create a new user account and see if the web site displays correctly. If it does, something in your existing user profile is messed up (likely caused by whatever malwarebytes removed) .. I am uploading a file called Fonts.zip to Google Drive which you can download. You can then reinstall all your computer fonts (and probably some you do not have) .. It is a bit tedious, but there are directions out there on how to install the fonts.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B27XO12r8SVlNXRQTS1qNnA3cTQ

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Gentlemen I just figured it out after reading this MS TechNet article on blocking fonts. Once I edited the registry changing the DWORD to 2000000000000 to allow fonts again and rebooted I'm back with a functioning IE again. I cannot believe the Malwarebytes would so something so retarded as to alter this policy in the first place. It was interfering with other crucial software I was using and PERRLA takes priority over it any day so its never coming back.