*solved* Problems getting my new gtx 1070 to work in my system

kenito

Apr 11, 2015
Hi there!
I have an Asus rampage IV black edition motherboard and been using a GTX 970 for a while with no probles, during black friday I bought a GTX 1070 (asus strix OC edition) and recieved it the day after. Now here is where the trouble starts.

"When I put the card in the machine I have a hard time getting the pc up and running, and even getting a picture on the screen. I used bios 0701 and tried upgrading to 0801 without any luck. If I'm lucky enough to get a picture I get the error "USB device over current status detected" I removed all of the external USB plugs inside of the PC and disconnected every USB without any luck. The problem here is this only happens with the 1070 card, after 50 ish reboots I managed to get into windows a couple of times and it crashed 2 times. With my old 970 gtx card from MSI there is _zero_ problem, no errors, no crashes, no problem booting, I tried several PCI lanes also, but the same issue remains I also tried with another GTX 580 and zero problems, it's only a problem with the 1070 card."

Now I sent this to Asus, and their response was:

"
Hi

Yes your abalysis is correct there is no fault in itself on the card or on the motherboard, these 2 are simply put not compatible with each other. There are multiple issues with running these cards on older hardware and it is something that we cannot recommend as the new nvidia 10 series is only designed to work on new hardware and new oses."

Seeming this motherboard was released 3.5 years ago, and I've seen 10* series card run on similar and older setups I find this hard to believe. This was the most expensive motherboard money could buy at that time and my warranty haven't even expired yet!

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yes your abalysis is correct there is no fault in itself on the card or on the motherboard, these 2 are simply put not compatible with each other. There are multiple issues with running these cards on older hardware and it is something that we cannot recommend as the new nvidia 10 series is only designed to work on new hardware and new oses."

Yeah, that sounds like crap. I know there *can* be some compatibility issues overall, but PCIe hasn't changed that much from my awareness since it was implemented. That card should work fine.

Can you try another power supply, or if it's modular, try another slot for the PSU plugs (to see if some of the internals of the PSU have gone bad). Also, can you test that card in another system to verify it's just not borked?

kenito

Apr 11, 2015
Yeah forgot to write, I tried different PCI-E power plugs, same problem also tried the GPU in my girlfriends PC, Asrock Z77 with i7 3770, works like a charm in it.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So different PCIe slots, different power sources, don't work. Different mobo works fine, different card in that mobo works fine. Either there's an issue supplying power through the pcie lane which isn't coming up with the 970 (unlikely), or there's an actual compatibility issue with that mobo.

You said there were issues getting display at all... can you reliably get to bios at all? or is it like blackscreening on startup and never displaying anything via video?

kenito

Apr 11, 2015
After alot of turning on and off/turning turning the PSU of, I sometimes get a picture. Then it usually states "USB device over current status detected" If it doesn't it maaybe boot into windows, did a couple of times worked decently, ran benchmarks and everything. then I left the pc, it hibernated, I went back, boom trouble booting again

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Sounds like a short--is the card in contact with the case anywhere but at the PCIe slot ?

kenito

Apr 11, 2015
No I don't think so, my next step in troubleshooting was to take the motherboard out of the case, or use a PCI-E riser and try to see if its any difference.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Could be that the video card driver was corrupted.
Try:
Download the latest nvidia driver:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/nvidia_geforce_for_windows_10.html
Run: Display Driver Uninstaller (free):
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/display_driver_uninstaller.html
Power off, swap in the new video card & unplug from the internet, reboot. At this point, you should get a lowered resolution Windows desktop. Otherwise, some other problem is occurring.
Then install the latest video card driver.
A driver updater program may also be useful, since you mentioned problems related to the USB port controller:
Driver Booster (free)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_driver_booster.html

Last edited:

kenito

Apr 11, 2015
Could be that the video card driver was corrupted.
Try:
Download the latest nvidia driver:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/nvidia_geforce_for_windows_10.html
Run: Display Driver Uninstaller (free):
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/display_driver_uninstaller.html
Power off, swap in the new video card & unplug from the internet, reboot. At this point, you should get a lowered resolution Windows desktop. Otherwise, some other problem is occurring.
Then install the latest video card driver.
A driver updater program may also be useful, since you mentioned problems related to the USB port controller:
Driver Booster (free)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_driver_booster.html

This happens way before windows, if anything it works if I get into windows. The problem is happening way before any driver is loaded. Bios/boot/start

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If the bios is set to boot in "pure UEFI mode", there could be a problem with the video card's UEFI mode firmware.
If so, try switching to Legacy boot mode.
Other than that, there's probably something wrong with the video card slot's electrical connections.
Might try with another PCIe slot?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
After alot of turning on and off/turning turning the PSU of, I sometimes get a picture. Then it usually states "USB device over current status detected" If it doesn't it maaybe boot into windows, did a couple of times worked decently, ran benchmarks and everything. then I left the pc, it hibernated, I went back, boom trouble booting again

Yeah, that sounds like a whole lot of issues. Any system should boot enough to POST without dicking around with PSU switch-flipping or rebooting or whatever. Not even sure what the USB notation is, but if you cannot reliably even POST then there's something wrong with the motherboard, the CPU, or the power delivery system (which may or may not be the motherboard)

kenito

Apr 11, 2015
If the bios is set to boot in "pure UEFI mode", there could be a problem with the video card's UEFI mode firmware.
If so, try switching to Legacy boot mode.
Other than that, there's probably something wrong with the video card slot's electrical connections.
Might try with another PCIe slot?

Tried it in another PCI-E slot, also tried it in another PC. worked flawlesly I got to the point of "restore to defaults in bios" and it wouldnt post again.

Yeah, that sounds like a whole lot of issues. Any system should boot enough to POST without dicking around with PSU switch-flipping or rebooting or whatever. Not even sure what the USB notation is, but if you cannot reliably even POST then there's something wrong with the motherboard, the CPU, or the power delivery system (which may or may not be the motherboard)

PSU should be fine, have run 970, 2x 580, 690, on it, it's only a year old ish aswell. 1250w, should be more than enough!

In the end, all asus comes up with "The motherboard is too old, we recommend buying a new one"... With this response I'm thinking never Asus again and hello MSI...

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Tried it in another PCI-E slot, also tried it in another PC. worked flawlesly I got to the point of "restore to defaults in bios" and it wouldnt post again.

PSU should be fine, have run 970, 2x 580, 690, on it, it's only a year old ish aswell. 1250w, should be more than enough!

In the end, all asus comes up with "The motherboard is too old, we recommend buying a new one"... With this response I'm thinking never Asus again and hello MSI...

I'd more blame their board firmware or something, I've had ancient boards run modern cards just fine. But having said that, the issue is probably specific to the board. I'd get a new one and probably go with a diff vendor just to give a nice middle finger to asus.

For what it's worth, Asrock has great boards this gen (1151), if you plan on doing a skylake upgrade.

ArtForz

Apr 11, 2015
Hi there!
I have an Asus rampage IV black edition motherboard and been using a GTX 970 for a while with no probles, during black friday I bought a GTX 1070 (asus strix OC edition) and recieved it the day after. Now here is where the trouble starts.
You didn't mention what CPU you're using on that RIVB.
C0 or C1 stepping Sandy-E by chance?
If that's the case, try limiting the slot to Gen2 mode in BIOS.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I think you narrowed it to the motherboard. Replace it for sure. They must know of some kind of issue with it and instead of elaborating you get a cold answer.

kenito

Apr 11, 2015
I'd more blame their board firmware or something, I've had ancient boards run modern cards just fine. But having said that, the issue is probably specific to the board. I'd get a new one and probably go with a diff vendor just to give a nice middle finger to asus.

For what it's worth, Asrock has great boards this gen (1151), if you plan on doing a skylake upgrade.

Yeah I do agree, we bought a Asrock for the GF's PC and it works flawlessly with the 1070. A Z77 with i7 3770

You didn't mention what CPU you're using on that RIVB.
C0 or C1 stepping Sandy-E by chance?
If that's the case, try limiting the slot to Gen2 mode in BIOS.

Running 3930k, C2, Sandy-E yes. I've done it, no difference.

I think you narrowed it to the motherboard. Replace it for sure. They must know of some kind of issue with it and instead of elaborating you get a cold answer.

Yeah, I think so too..

I now tried with a PCI-riser, same thing, crashing in windows and getting USB overcurrent in bios, with alot of random acts all the time.

Last edited:

kenito

Apr 11, 2015
*update* I might, have fixed it now...

I have a "bios switch" button on my motherboard, I switched to the second one and booted, it then ran updates a couple of times and I now have been able to boot the pc 4 times without any problems, best boot so far! I'm not gonna say it's 100%, but so far so good!

*update x2* Now My OC panel is always on now, so I tried shutting of the PSU, and boom, PC is back to how it was. Still not as bad, but not perfect either...

Last edited: