(Solved) Ok Im stumped, 3 NOT 2 Brand new HDDs wont show up

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Windows 10 new build.

Seagate 3tb barracude and patriot 250gb burst

Bluray player comes on and shows just fine, if I use the same cables on the HDDs they dont show. So i know its not the cables,

I can hear the Seagate power up. so I know that at least its getting power. Disk Management shows nothing as does easus.

MSI Z370 m5 MB, and 250gb Samsung 960EVO M.2 for main drive.

Is the M.2 getting in the way somehow?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Windows 10 new build.

Seagate 3tb barracude and patriot 250gb burst

Bluray player comes on and shows just fine, if I use the same cables on the HDDs they dont show. So i know its not the cables,

I can hear the Seagate power up. so I know that at least its getting power. Disk Management shows nothing as does easus.

MSI Z370 m5 MB, and 250gb Samsung 960EVO M.2 for main drive.

Is the M.2 getting in the way somehow?

Could be. Depending on the M.2 slot you have the 960 EVO installed in, it disables some SATA ports.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Pages 33 through 35 in your manual show all the various M.2 / SATA combinations and limitations.

Reactions: MonKENy

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
pretty sure they are just doa. Put the Seagate into my sons PC and it doesnt show. Pulled his secondary and put it in this machine and it shows up.

Soooo crap.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
No they dont show up under management, Im fairly certain they are dead. The patriot one is a very poorly rated drive to start with.

I can return the Seagate since I bought through Amazon but the patriot was included in a bunch of parts my GF bought as a group from a friend. Ill see if he can RMA it.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
looks like a dead drive....

last thing i would suggest is going into bios and seeing if it shows up there.
You can see what drives are connected by viewing the boot order.

If bios is not picking up the drive at all, its dead.

msi-boot-order-example-min_zpsdmu19abk-696x523.jpg

it should be something simular to this.
If not it should be under hard drive BBS option in boot order.

If you dont see the disk at all, then its dead.
If you do see the disk it could be a messed up partition and you may need to diskpart it before windows even detects it in admin tools.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
No, None of them showed up. I saw that and then that it wasnt showing under disk management then I came on to see if anyone had any other thoughts. I already RMA the platter and her friend knocked some $ off for the other dead drive so were good. Just a hassle.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
It's been a while since I used a spinner, but is there a place in Disk Management (to the left side) to mark them as "online". Getting two bad hard drives is not very likely, unless you just have really bad luck. .

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/182615en

+1

I've had one DOA drive the entire time I've been in business (nearly 15 years; admittedly the drive wasn't "dead" but it wouldn't format - instant RMA). I guess I've probably bought 300 HDDs, probably more.

Admittedly I never buy drives in bulk, and while I think the likelihood of getting one DOA HDD is very low and logically to some extent getting two in a row that are DOA is even lower, on the other hand if they came out of the same (possibly entirely faulty / mistreated) batch, that does seem like the most likely explanation for an (IMO) very unlikely scenario. Admittedly I've never worked as/for a pure hardware supplier.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Did you make sure your HDD power cables are correctly installed? Did you make sure your SATA cables are properly connected? Two DOA drives is unheard of if they are brand new.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Did you make sure your HDD power cables are correctly installed? Did you make sure your SATA cables are properly connected? Two DOA drives is unheard of if they are brand new.

he got one new, and a used ssd from a package deal.

so its not 2 new drive... its a Cou*seagate*gh drive + a used SSD.

And he's already confirmed there is nothing wrong with the port by putting another device in it, and having it show up.
So the last check was a bios check in boot options, because ive seen some partitions not detect at all in windows like FreeBSD.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
im positive they were dead as I pulled a working drive from another pc and it showed fine using sames cables and port, as well as neither drive showing up in another computer. Neither one showed in bios either.

Thanks for the advice but the new drives are on their way. Decided to scrap the seagate and went with a toshiba instead.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Beginning to think its a controller issue. Brand new Toshiba drive and nothing. It wont even show as an active sata port. If I plug the DVD drive into the same port with the same cables it shows fine.

What could be causing it?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Beginning to think its a controller issue. Brand new Toshiba drive and nothing. It wont even show as an active sata port. If I plug the DVD drive into the same port with the same cables it shows fine.

What could be causing it?

What SATA ports are you plugging them into?

Also, the specs for your SATA ports state the following:

Intel® Z370 Chipset
  • 6 x SATA 6Gb/s ports *1
  • 2 x M.2 slots (Key M)
    • Support up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s
    • M2_1 slot supports 2242/ 2260 /2280/ 22110 storage devices
    • M2_2 slot supports 2242/ 2260 /2280 storage devices
    • Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready for all M.2 slots
  1. The SATA1/ SATA5 port will be unavailable when an M.2 SATA SSD module has been installed in the M.2_1/ M.2_2 slot. The SATA5 and SATA 6 ports will be unavailable when M.2 PCIe SSD module has been installed in the M.2_2 slot

Reactions: MonKENy

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Ok so

I have M.2_1 installed

I have a spare drive I pulled out of my sons computer. It is in SATA 1 it reads fine, I am actively using it.

If I try to add the Toshiba P300 3TB Drive in that same slot using the same cables nothing shows up. Nothing shows in BIOS and nothing shows in Windows disk manager.

My Bluray player will show up in that same slot though as well. I am truly stumped.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Maybe I missed it, but have you updated your BIOS to the latest version on your motherboard?

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
not the latest latest but the version that came out last month. Holding off on the latest because i dont want the specter patch.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Also, I see you have tried other hard drives in your system that show up, but have you tried putting the new drive in your son's computer and see if it shows up there?

I recall there being some type of SATA power pin issue with some newer drives, although I'd have to dig to find what the user did to get it to work (I think he covered one of the SATA power pin 5, or something along those lines).

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
I did try the first 2 drives and they didnt show but im going to try a more extensive test of the drives tomorrow when I get home. I am not however optimistic about the outcomes.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I did try the first 2 drives and they didnt show but im going to try a more extensive test of the drives tomorrow when I get home. I am not however optimistic about the outcomes.

If the new drive doesn't work in your son's PC, at least you know it's not an issue with yours. BTW, that drive has some really bad reviews on Newegg about arriving DOA. There's enough reviews about that issue to see there is definitely a trend with drives not working at all.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
holy poop, it comes up the opposite on amazon almost 5 stars. I usually start at newegg and then check amazon. I hope this isnt what I get for skipping protocol lol.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
try different sata ports. That will rule out if its the port or not.
And different port does not mean the one below it or next to it.
Try to skip down the ports to completely rule out the M.2
A M.2 Drive in the slot will typically disable 2 sata ports.

Also try a different cable, you'd be amazed if you found out how many times i got stuck due to a bad sata cable.

Lastly, try a different Sata power port on the PSU.
This is another that would amaze you if you found out how many times i got stuck due to a bad plug.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Newest drive came in HGST/Hitachi (HUA723020ALA641) Ultrastar 7K3000, Booted in my sons rig, initialized just fine and I'm happy to say went into the new machine without a hitch.

So 3 drives later and were done.

Thanks everyone for the help.