(SOLVED) New PS4 owner. How to get Audio on 2.1 Speakers instead of Monitor through HDMI?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
(SOLVED) I just plugged the speaker to the Monitor Headphone jack and now I get Sound through my speakers instead of my Monitor. Thanks!

So I just bought my first PS4 ever. I never owned or used one before. I have it hooked up to my Asus VG248QE Computer monitor via HDMI cable. Problem is the Audio is coming through the Monitor speakers since it connected via HDMI. I was wondering what extra items would I need to get the PS4 sound to go through my Logitech 2.1 Computer speakers instead of the Monitor? I tried plugging in the Speakers Aux 3.5mm cable to the controller but sound still played through the monitor instead. I hope someone can help.

Thank you!

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Pretty sure PS4 has an optical audio output.

You would need your speakers to have an optical audio input connection in order for it to work.

Then I think there is a setting in the PS4 you would have to set in order to tell it to output the sound through it instead of the HDMI cable.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Pretty sure PS4 has an optical audio output.

You would need your speakers to have an optical audio input connection in order for it to work.

Then I think there is a setting in the PS4 you would have to set in order to tell it to output the sound through it instead of the HDMI cable.

Is it standard for 2.1 speakers to have optical audio these days? Both of my 2.1 systems can only take an analog signal, though they're both kind of budget systems (Logitech Z2300, god I wish they still make these, and Klipsch Pro Media 2.1).

So I just bought my first PS4 ever. I never owned or used one before. I have it hooked up to my Asus VG248QE Computer monitor via HDMI cable. Problem is the Audio is coming through the Monitor speakers since it connected via HDMI. I was wondering what extra items would I need to get the PS4 sound to go through my Logitech 2.1 Computer speakers instead of the Monitor? I tried plugging in the Speakers Aux 3.5mm cable to the controller but sound still played through the monitor instead. I hope someone can help.

Thank you!

That monitor looks like it has a 3.5 mm headphone jack in back, which you could use as an audio out. If you have your PC hooked up that speaker system it would be as simple as running a 3.5 mm cable from the headphone jack of your monitor to the line in on your PC, and then unmuting the line in. If you just have the PS4 hooked up to the monitor and sound system you could probably hook it from monitor directly to the stereo vs the 3.5 mm audio jack.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
That monitor looks like it has a 3.5 mm headphone jack in back, which you could use as an audio out. If you have your PC hooked up that speaker system it would be as simple as running a 3.5 mm cable from the headphone jack of your monitor to the line in on your PC, and then unmuting the line in. If you just have the PS4 hooked up to the monitor and sound system you could probably hook it from monitor directly to the stereo vs the 3.5 mm audio jack.
Exactly what I did. The volume and sound quality is lower than when using my Creative X3 but overall way better than using it with the Monitor speakers. Thank you!