**SOLVED** Abit NF7-S bios problem *PIC added*

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
original problem left .. solution here in BOLD

well .. i solved it. I always tend not to think clear the first 29579 hours of a computer hardware problem.
I finally decided to check if it was a mobo problem or something attached.
- i removed all IDE cables connecting to the mobo. Primary, Secondary, and PCI ATA Controller.
- booted and my stuck bios isn't a problem anymore.
-- now, i know there's a faulty cable and if not that, then faulty hardware.
- start with PCI ATA controller, boot and it's good
- add Primary IDE (HDDS) and it's good to go
- add SECONDARY IDE (optical drives) AUTOMATIC LOCK UP! BINGO!
- went to the car to get another IDE WIRE ( don't know why i keep a spare IDE Cable in my GLOVE COMPARTMENT!)
- replace Round CABLE with FLAT IDE and it's good to go
- windows doesn't recognize my DVD drive and CDRW properly
- delete IDE PRIMARY and SECONDARY. delete optical drives, delete Nforce IDE from Device Manager
- 2 reboots and im up and going.

thanks to all =D

AS3 really dropped my temps. I used some grease that came with my heatsink and thought that would be ok. The last few days i noticed my temps climbing and not dropping at all. In the range of 45C CPU IDLE and 32C System. On load it was 50C / 34C. So i decided to drop my temps and apply the AS3 i bought.
Now my temps are sitting at 37C / 24C. Burn in temps not yet available.

quick stats ..

Abit NF7-S 2.0 BIOS 18
AMD Barton 2500+
512 MB Corsair XMS
Radeon 9700 Pro

problem

-I went to clean off my cpu and heatsink from the old grease.
-i cleaned off the core and heatsink with 99% ISO Alcohol and everything went clean.
- added as3, followed the instructions on their website
-i didn't touch anything else and put the cpu and heatsink back together.
-computer booted and it mis read my dvd burner. i delete the drive from Device Manager and reboot.
- system hangs while trying to detect Secondary slave.
- i remove the dvd burner from psu and ide lines. turn on and still stuck.
- i clear cmos, remove power and turn off psu, remove cmos battery, let it sit
- turn everything back together and i can boot into bios. i load fail safe settings and set the bios to 2500+ CPU. everything is default.
- reboot and system hangs. says my cpu is AMD 1100 ( 11 x 100) but memory is at DDR400 speeds.
- did the whole cmos thing and can't get back into bios.

ideas?

thanks.

Offending picture[/quote]

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Um you need new paste in between there. I recommend getting some Arctic Silver 5 since it decreased my load temps by 8ºC over my sillycone (and it hasn't even fully set yet).

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Ionizer86
Um you need new paste in between there. I recommend getting some Arctic Silver 5 since it decreased my load temps by 8ºC over my sillycone (and it hasn't even fully set yet).

oops .. forgot to mention i did add AS3 to it. exactly the way it says on their site.

Offending picture

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: shady06
what are your temps? maybe the HSF isnt seated properly

can't even boot into bios to check. all that happens is a blank black screen.

the first time it booted into windows, and bios, i was getting the following temps

36C CPU
23C System

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Most likely you need to redo the HSF and paste. Do the flashlight trick this time too.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Ionizer86
Most likely you need to redo the HSF and paste. Do the flashlight trick this time too.

flashlight trick?

i reseated the heatsink and check the paste and everything is good. i did all this with the cmos jumper to clear, battery taken out, power liness off the motherboard and switch off on psu

system still hangs and is exactly the same as the picture i linked to.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: ThatDumbGuy
When you booted back up when you orginally put the AS3 on did you smell anything funny?

nope. but the problem is solved in OP.