Question solid mobos that don't try to look all "cool" (not OCing)

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Are there any mobo manufacturers that make a solid product (stability above all else, followed closely by performance) without also trying to make their mobos look "cool"? Keep in mind I am not planning on OCing. Seems like almost all mobos nowadays are all "fancy".

I'm a bit of a purist, so I like my computer parts to look like computer parts, as opposed to having chrome accents, cheesy labels, and "cool" lights on everything.

Purely from a visual/aesthetics POV:
more like this, or this
less like this

(Again, those examples are just the looks I'm talking about... not specs in any way.)

EDIT:

Likely going with an Intel Raptor Lake/DDR5 combo, if it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chicken76

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am not sure if there is a version of it for Z790, but the MSI Meg Unify series look a pretty standared black with no RGB, and they are very solid and feature rich boards.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
In my experience “Creator” variants from various companies are more serious

“Asus Prime” mainboards are fine as well, rgb is as always able to be deactivated or ignored. It seems after a certain price point there will be no mainboards without rgb unless you go really high which then gets into professional use and no rgb again and yes they mostly look a bit more serious as well.

edited for more info

Last edited:

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Is the question if that’s “uncool” enough for him, it still has “gamer look” and rgb. But the no DDR5 is a small issue for sure
It's still too "cool", to be honest.

Yeah, I've been trying to look at these types of mobos, but the ones I found so far either don't come with DDR5, or if they do, they're mATX, and I figure I need ATX for proper clearances and such.

The Asus one you linked is close to what I'm looking for, but still too fancy.

Supermicro, I didn't know was a thing. More what I'm looking for, though these are older chipsets. Maybe they'll make updated boards soon? I won't be building my new rig for another few months anyway.

The ASRock one is nice as well; they don't even have these on their main website, which is why I didn't find them myself. Thnx.

Last edited:

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
It's still too "cool", to be honest.

Yeah, I've been trying to look at these types of mobos, but the ones I found so far either don't come with DDR5, or if they do, they're mATX, and I figure I need ATX for proper clearances and such.

Nice find though. ASRock doesn't even have these on their main website, which is why I didn't find them.
Are you building in a case with window? If not it doesn’t matter at all which mainboard you’re using. In any case, I would take one which looks halfway classy and then deactivate the rgb if that’s the issue

Reactions: In2Photos

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Are you building in a case with window? If not it doesn’t matter at all which mainboard you’re using. In any case, I would take one which looks halfway classy and then deactivate the rgb if that’s the issue
I'm actually not, but it's more a philosophy for me. And knowing I have something like this inside my rig is just, bleh.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
I'm actually not, but it's more a philosophy for me. And knowing I have something like this inside my rig is just, bleh.
Yea I get it. I think the Asus Prime is “manageable” TUF is okayish as well. If you don’t wanna get one of the expensive creator boards you’ll probably have to make cuts somewhere, gamery look and rgb is nearly everywhere

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I've been using them exclusively for the past 3 boards in the past ~5 years and they perform well and don't bling out but just work. My current is the Steel Legend but, I've used other lines within ASR as well.

I won't be building a new rig for a while, so waiting isn't an issue.
Time is a double edged sword... more of it means lower cost for current-ish gen CPU but, on the other side it means something newer is coming sooner.

ADL / RPL are for the most part the same and MTL has been pushed beyond 2023 in favor of a RPL refresh instead but, I'm getting the sense that Intel might just skip MTL on the desktop side w/ the RPL Refresh and go directly to ARL since MTL is a lot like the 11th den stand in before ADL/RPL when it comes to the leap to a hybrid core setup. ARL and beyond will use tiles / chiplets instead of monolithic. Right now it feels like / projected to release this sort of CPU in 2024.

Back to the whole MOBO thing though. If you put it inside a solid case why does it matter? just don't think about it and go for performance. On my current ASR board I can see 1 LED on the mobo and 1 on the case and that's it. Skipped all of the stupid rainbow farts with RGB as it's pointless and distracting when the PC is center stage.

DDR5 though is a gimmick IMO when it comes to the performance it's on par with DDR4 and still a 50% premium in price and doesn't really matter unless you want to spend more for the same performance you could save ~$200 or more on the board / RAM.

The true question is what are you going to use it for?

I run mine 24/7 as a router and some other functions but, the most benefit I see with it is processing video files quickly on the iGPU from Plex. On my laptop I also use a 12700x CPU and it has a different iGPU UHD vs Iris and the Iris series makes a big difference compared to the older UHD Intel made.

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Back to the whole MOBO thing though. If you put it inside a solid case why does it matter? just don't think about it and go for performance. On my current ASR board I can see 1 LED on the mobo and 1 on the case and that's it. Skipped all of the stupid rainbow farts with RGB as it's pointless and distracting when the PC is center stage.

DDR5 though is a gimmick IMO when it comes to the performance it's on par with DDR4 and still a 50% premium in price and doesn't really matter unless you want to spend more for the same performance you could save ~$200 or more on the board / RAM.
It doesn't matter from a certain standpoint. At all. I'm just weird and I have my quirks.

As for waiting: I'm definitely going to be going for Raptor Lake if I go Intel. I'm just waiting a bit to see how the 4060 Ti and such shape up (I don't play newer games). The timing actually works out for me; I'm just doing my research well ahead of time is all.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
MSI Pro series.
Gigabyte UD series.
Go to Newegg, choose "socket 1700," then under chipset, choose everything EXCEPT Z790 or Z690. Lots of decent non-overclockable boards.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
In my experience “Creator” variants from various companies are more serious

“Asus Prime” mainboards are fine as well, rgb is as always able to be deactivated or ignored. It seems after a certain price point there will be no mainboards without rgb unless you go really high which then gets into professional use and no rgb again and yes they mostly look a bit more serious as well.

edited for more info
Plus, if you don't have a window in your case you'll never see it under your desk.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I'm bored of black PCBs and heatsinks. Kinda missing green PCBs.

19c20810-82e0-4666-adf9-440648174677
fwebp

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022
"CSM" corporate stable models, from Asus..

Example:

Definitely not for the cool kids

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
"CSM" corporate stable models, from Asus..

Example:

Definitely not for the cool kids
Afaik the Asus boards are only mATX, not ATX, which I don't think would work. Or would it? Idk.

I just feel I need as much space/clearance as possible for things like the video card and any possible additions in the future.

EDIT:

Seems like a video card (evena large 2-slot one) would fit on mATX, with the case and such being the only question. Is this accurate?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022
To add: m-atx boards are not much different than full atx boards... just a couple inches less in physical dimensions and a slot or two less for PCIe slots... maybe 4 sata ports versus 6..etc..
All depends on brand, chipset, model...

Reactions: igor_kavinski