Solid CHEAP build to teach someone how to build?

dsc106

May 31, 2012
Family friends want me to teach their son how to build a computer. Budget is low, undefined right now, but essentially as low as possible without being pointless. The primary goal is to build a system, the secondary goal is to have a system.

Open to buying used off ebay, but I think it could be more fun/cleaner if we bargain hunted new stuff instead. Maybe 1-2 used buys IF it makes sense is unlikely to be a problem piece of hardware, as I want the build to be smooth and not troubleshooting any obscurely broken parts.

With CPU slowdowns over the years, I think this should be doable.

I was thinking along the lines of a discounted Ryzen 2000 series, cheaper last gen GPU, 16gb RAM starter which could be upgraded. It would be nice to get a nice decent case and PSU so that after he learns (he is in college), he could make upgrades or new builds.

As a bonus, and lesson in computers, I believe he is interested in running a linux box to experiment, and I thought it would be fun to teach him hackintosh. I'm sure it will end up with windows on it though, too, and be used for some strategy games and Adobe Premiere/Photoshop for messing around with stuff.

ubern00b

Jun 11, 2019
An AMD Ryzen APU system (2200g/2400g) would be ideal, I specced one up a little while ago and it came to about £300 for the entire base unit comprising of CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Case, PSU.

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
Probably a lot of people about to sell their cpu, mobo and ram in the 2nd week of July.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
I just helped my dad build a 2200g / Asrock A300 system. It was a great system to learn with since there is limited cabling (m.2 and external power brick). I couldn't think of a better platform for a new PC user.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Disassembling a refurb prebuilt can suffice just as well for the educational part of "building" a computer.

Inform him about ESD. Shopping bags, clothing that build up charge, etc should be nowhere nearby when starting the process.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Disassembling a refurb prebuilt can suffice just as well for the educational part of "building" a computer.

Inform him about ESD. Shopping bags, clothing that build up charge, etc should be nowhere nearby when starting the process.
You didn't mention budget, but if the budget is $100, this is a really good way to go as you can get a functional system that can be used to learn the limits of upgrades on such a platform. And then you can flip it back around for almost the same amount as you purchased it and then dive into building something more powerful with the knowledge of how things work.

Definitely hunting for bargains on used parts will teach a lot about comparing specs, etc. And this knowledge translates into other areas of life too--buying a car, refrigerator, house, etc.