Solder new jack or use dock station for laptop server?

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
Here are my answers from the sticky:

1. Run Serviio media server 24/7 on home network

2. $30-$50

3. America

4. Not applicable

5. Not

a. 6715b hp latptop, 4gb ddr2 ram, 500gb 5400 rpm drive, 1.6 Ghz TL-52 AMD dual core, bad dc jack for server;​
b. 2tb external plugged into wifi router as network share with no os
7. default speed

8. It's a laptop but ideally this would be a headless system on the network

9. Over the next few weeks

X. No, Serviio and java are free and run on linux so I can use that.

So, does it make more sense to try my luck at dissembling, soldering, and reassembly on the HP 6715b?

Or put it in a self powered docking station and not hook a monitor in and just let it ride?

DC jack is like $5-$10, bag of screws is $15-$20, (I am missing some and like having extras). My brother has a lab with all the soldering equipment and static bags I could ever use, and is good with a solder gun and the vacuum, but lives far and I don't want to do the repair without his shop.

A docking station is $15 on ebay.

I imagine the setup as I plug the laptop into the docking station, install ubuntu with java and serviio, set up serviio to index my shares, then close the lid on the laptop and forget about it.

Maybe leave ssh on for maintenance tasks and to check out logs remotely.

Looking forward to any input on this.

Time is less a priority then cheapness.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I'd grab the docking station and call it a day. Cheaper than traveling to your brother's place and requires less of a time commitment as well.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'd grab the docking station and call it a day. Cheaper than traveling to your brother's place and requires less of a time commitment as well.

Agreed. That seems much more like a "no hassle" kind of solution. I like those.

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
Ok, that's what I'll do then.

He is all gung ho to take it apart and all that but he has never done it, I have, and I really hate putting a taken apart laptop back in it's case, takes forever, I always have "leftover" screws, etc.

So I'll get the docking station so I can at least watch my shows and then when I go see him, fix it then.

Thanks guys, good advice.