Solaris 10 tape read error

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I am hoping someone here has seen this before and can lend me their insight, it's a baffling problem for me as I am still learning the nuances of Solaris. On a Solaris 10 system, I created a tar [tar cvf] to tape of a large (9gb) zipped windows file (copied the file over via nfs share). My issue is when I bring the tape over to a newer Solaris box, I do a tar tvf just to list the contents and receive an error

tar: tape read error.

I bring this tape back to the old system and it reads the tape just fine. I have used other tapes in the new system just fine, but when I go from this old sol10 box to new sol10 it seems to fail.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Are the tape drives the same model? Is hardware compression set the same on both?

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
No, one is a Seagate dat72 (newer) and the other is an HP dat72. I'm not sure what you mean by hardware compression.

Most tape drives have a setting for enabling/disabling hardware compression of the data stored on tape, I wouldn't assume that is interchangeable between drive models let alone vendors. On Linux I would use the mt command to turn that off, not sure about Solaris though.

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Hardware_compression

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
using dd. I'll give you a status in the morning.

I have a feeling I may have a bad scsi card. We'll see.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
What about dd? I thought you said you were using tar to read/write the tape?

Since tar wasn't working properly for me, I used dd instead to write my files to tape. I'm under a bit of a time crunch and I have no other alternatives at this point.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Since tar wasn't working properly for me, I used dd instead to write my files to tape. I'm under a bit of a time crunch and I have no other alternatives at this point.

Ah, so dd worked but tar didn't? Sounds like an incompatibility between those two versions of tar (64-bit vs 32-bit?) then.