<- SOL. how do I get rid of IE then re-install it? lil OC mishap

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
Ok so I was doing some overclocking and apparently something with IE got fux0red cause every time I try to open Outlook it tells me I need to have at least IE 4.01 installed and I'm using IE6 SP1. I reinstalled Outlook but it still won't load up. So how do I get rid of IE and how do I install it again?

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
you know, i'd like to knwo the same thing. i had the install files windows update pulls.. but it won't install if it's the same version for me. that obviously doesn't help me....

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
START - CONTROL PANEL - ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS - ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS COMPONETS :)

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Sounds like the vxd files may be munged. Click on the update windows icon and see if MS can open it for you.

If not, then try Mozilla to access the update site. ActiveX may be messed up as well.

Also, are you back down to the posted speed limit?

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
Sounds like the vxd files may be munged. Click on the update windows icon and see if MS can open it for you.

If not, then try Mozilla to access the update site. ActiveX may be messed up as well.

Also, are you back down to the posted speed limit?
Windows update won't open in IE. Yes I'm back down to stable settings. I'll try that link and see if it helps. Stupid drama. Just what I need before school starts tomorrow.

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
ok out of the two methods the first one isn't working for me so I'm trying to do the second. here are the instructions:

While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

the only key I have that comes close ends in -40 not -83. is this the right one?

Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

I'd rather not reformat but I will if I have to. How can one lil overclock fvck up the whole system.

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
ok wtf. went in changed the registry, restarted, comp said IE6 is removed. but guess what I can still launch IE?? the IE6 setup also fails.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Put the XP disc in, run the repair option. BE sure to backup your data before doing that though...