Question Software to clone OS HDD to USB flash drive?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I'm dealing with a little bitch of a bug with Windows update that has forced me to reset a computer multiple times. I finally got Windows Update to stop trying to download the update that kept bricking the computer, but I still need to do some diagnosis and it's likely I will try to install the update again to confirm is what that particular update that crashed the system. Before I do this I would like to make a backup of the clean Win 10 install as it is now, with all the drivers installed and all updates installed up to the last round. Is there some kind of software I can use to copy my clean Win 10 install onto a USB flash drive and then easily re-deploy that backup if I brick the computer?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Also practically every ssd maker has a version of acronis true image available for free on their site. If you have a disk of their brand you can run it and it will have the option to create a bootable version.

Reactions: pete6032

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Macrium Reflect? Really, any image-backup software will do. Don't use a USB flash drive, use a portable external USB3.0 HDD.

Actually Macrium will store an image on a USB flash drive so long, of course, that the drive has the available space. You can verify the Flash drive's availability by inserting the drive so windows recognizes it as a device and then open macrium and select the C drive as a disk to " image". The drive should show up as an available storage location. Where a HDD is necessary is to hold a clone.

Reactions: pete6032

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Also practically every ssd maker has a version of acronis true image available for free on their site. If you have a disk of their brand you can run it and it will have the option to create a bootable version.
Does the disk of their brand have to be the destination or source? That is, does it have to be the new SSD or an older SSD and what if one of the drives is not the same brand?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Does the disk of their brand have to be the destination or source? That is, does it have to be the new SSD or an older SSD and what if one of the drives is not the same brand?
Mostly there just has to be a drive of the brand connected and recognized and it doesn't even have to be either target or source, it just has to be there.
Of course I did not try with all of them but I guess it's the same for all.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Mostly there just has to be a drive of the brand connected and recognized and it doesn't even have to be either target or source, it just has to be there.
Of course I did not try with all of them but I guess it's the same for all.
Thanks. I been only buying Samsung brand SSD because of this certainty of source vs. destination. Now, I be willing to risk it and check the mfr. website to make sure they have the cloning software before buying the item. Only a couple more days till BF/CMD is upon us......again!

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Note: There is a difference between an Image of a hard disk and a Clone of a hard disk.

Macrium Reflect will do either. You just need to know what you want first.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Cloning, so I can boot the new drive! Is Macrium Reflect a freeware, last time I check you have to pay a subscription but has type of trial offer built in. I just ignore software like that since you end up have pay to use it at the end.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Clonezilla is free and open source.
You can also just live boot into any linux distro and use the dd command if you are feeling safe enough with command line.

Reactions: Harry_Wild

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
After talking to Best Buy Geek, I going to continue with buying Samsung drives! Scare my straight back to Samsung! He is the guy in charge of upgrading hard drives/SSD to NvMEs.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Cloning, so I can boot the new drive! Is Macrium Reflect a freeware, last time I check you have to pay a subscription but has type of trial offer built in. I just ignore software like that since you end up have pay to use it at the end.

Macrium has a free version and no payment required. I have used it for many many years.

Reactions: Harry_Wild

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
I have used free Aomei Partition assistant (ver 6.0) to clone for many years. 20 minutes to clone an old 4500 RPM HDD laptop with 125 GB data to SSD. Less when it's 2 SSDs. It has worked too great to upgrade. I assume the current version is many generations newer than mine.
They have a backer upper also, but I never restored from mine since I keep a clone.

I have used the clone function at least 20 times for friends and family to change HHD for an SSD on old machines.

Last edited: