Socket 479/socket P?

gaaraownzz

Oct 7, 2009
Hi everyone, i was just wondering if these 2 are the same, because i have a laptop with an intel celeron 530 and i wanted to upgrade the processors and i cant seem to find one. any suggestion? thanks.

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
You may be correct. I would try cpuid, a free download, and see what it lists for your cpu. Starmicro carries several oem mobile cpus. But you also have to consider your heatsink limitations. You may have to go to ebay to find one to cool properly with your upgraded cpu. And starmicro has no return policy, so be sure before you order. Don't know if newegg carries mobile cpus. And finally, your old celery may use less energy, so if battery time is important, you may want to do some more research.

xylem

Jan 18, 2001
I'm pretty sure that Socket 479 and Socket P (and Socket M) are all different, and incompatible. They each have a 478-pin count (including Socket 479), but have slightly different pin arrangements.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
Originally posted by: xylem
I'm pretty sure that Socket 479 and Socket P (and Socket M) are all different, and incompatible. They each have a 478-pin count (including Socket 479), but have slightly different pin arrangements.

You are correct. For extra fun, not everyone consistently uses the terms correctly.

In fact, the OP needs to be more specific about the existing processor. The Mobile Celeron 530 is Socket P, while the Celeron M 530 is Socket M. They look to be essentially the same product, but Intel has decided that the Celeron M 530 is an "embedded" product.