Question So yeah, the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X can run Crysis without a GPU - TweakTown

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
So yeah, the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X can run Crysis without a GPU

AMD launched its monstrous Ryzen Threadripper 3990X not too long ago, and it is already breaking records left, right, and center -- but what about running Crysis in software mode without a graphics card? Yeah, it can do that.

LinusTechTips has done just that, running Crysis in software mode on the 64-core/128-thread Ryzen Threadripper 3990X processor. No one would buy AMD's flagship Ryzen Threadripper 3990X to do this, but it's an incredible feat and something to completely nerd out to.

Personally, I love seeing this stuff and nerding out to seeing the once 'can it run Crysis' meme turn into running entirely on software. Something I didn't think we'd ever see.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
This is fake news. Truth to be told, every modern CPU can run Crysis without a GPU.

Even my 10-year-old Xeon W3680 is capable of that.

But even with several Threadrippers, it won't run smooth at high quality settings and high resolution like with a high-end GPU.

It's not fake news, it's selective news. At least get your criticism right.

Reactions: zinfamous

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I won't lie about not being impressed by this. Wow so a cpu finally gets frames similar to what my 8800gts did back in 2007. Well that's great. I think the entire Crysis series is something of a scam especially Crysis 3. Game does not look good enough in 2020 to warrant what it demands. I get less frames on a 1080 ti and 7700k then i do in BF5 i believe last i checked. Oh yeah can't forget a 5ghzs 9900k and 2080ti still struggle cause the " advanced" 2007 game is heavily single threaded and manages all kinds of frame drops yet still.

I get the idea of the original yes and it looked amazing for its time and between my 8800gts and then gtx280 and then later on a 7970, i had fun benching but couldn't believe the requirements. BF5 looks better and gets more frames today i am about 95% certain of.

I would prob be more impressed if this 3990x was destroying BF5 over a 12 nearly 13 year old game.