So will a deodorant (spray) can heated inside a microwave oven....

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
I seen this in movies, but really think this is just another legend exploited by movies.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
I dunno. Just like Youtube has that channel "Will it blend?" I want to have "Will it microwave?"

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
you answered your own stupid question. The can is metal. What does metal do in a microwave?

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Originally posted by: legoman666
you answered your own stupid question. The can is metal. What does metal do in a microwave?

Sure, genius. But will the damn thing blow up skyhigh?

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Shawn
find out and take pics

Eggs are fun. So is a bar of soap.

I've always wondered about a can of spraypaint. Maybe enough of the engergy gets in the top and *BOOM*.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Capitalizt
it will probably blow the glass out but it won't leave the ground.

What happens if the gas inside ignites? It will for sure get smoking real soon!

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Braznor

not enough air...

and what happens with a bar of soap???

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
A couple of years ago I saw a vid on Youtube of someone that microwaved a frozen beer bottle. The microwave was sitting on a small apartment fridge. It took like 20 mins., but not only was the microwave GONE, but so was the top third of the fridge.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Squisher
A couple of years ago I saw a vid on Youtube of someone that microwaved a frozen beer bottle. The microwave was sitting on a small apartment fridge. It took like 20 mins., but not only was the microwave GONE, but so was the top third of the fridge.

shens

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats

shens

It wasn't hard to find The original is longer.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005

shens

It looked more like they set off a small bomb. The editing makes it less believable

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
ATOT is great for idle speculation on life's mysteries but few OPs have the drive to follow through with experimentation. Science is not built on speculation but on dogged experimentation. OP, we are counting on you find out where the truth lies.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
I'd still call shens on the beer in the microwave. Like Eeezee said, the editing would make it very easy for them to rig it with a small explosive charge......and the top 1/3 of the refrigerator seems to be pretty well intact.

So far as the can of deodorant in a microwave, while it might explode and destroy the microwave, and even supply a decent ball of fire, I doubt it would blow the roof off of a building. Simply the lack of volume of explosive gas would prevent it from doing any such thing, unless your microwave was in a doll house, and blew the roof off of that, ya know? ;)

Oh yeah, and while I have no idea what the volume of natural gas was that caused it, when my house exploded last year, it lifted the house off the foundation (far enough to keep from bending the nails attaching the footer to the wall studs), tried to lift the roof off the house (evidenced by seperation of the shingles most of the way around the house, at the point where the roof attached to the tops of the walls), AND blew out every window and door, PLUS blew the back wall off of the house.......but I'd bet it was more volume than you could stuff into a single can of deodorant!! :shocked:

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
How about when several such pressurized cans are placed in the oven? Perhaps one oxygen rich too? That should make things more fun :evil:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: MegaVovaN
Originally posted by: Braznor

not enough air...

and what happens with a bar of soap???
I don't know, if there's fire in there, you might get a boom. Some of those aerosol sprays use butane, or maybe it's propane, as a propellant. I know that a cigarette lighter in a microwave can blow the door open, and that this can be quite loud. :D
The metal around the tip started sparking, igniting the plastic. Eventually it found the butane well, and started burning that. Once the air and butane inside reached a proper mixture (at least I assume that this is what happened), boom.

Originally posted by: Eeezee

shens

It looked more like they set off a small bomb. The editing makes it less believable
There was flame there. Major shens. A beer bottle will not explode with flames, unless they used gunpowder instead of barley, and pure isopropyl alcohol instead of water. They used some sort of explosive or highly flammable liquid.

Plasma blob

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Gas+air will ignite (and you will perceive as mediocre explosion) as soon as there is sufficient ratios of propane and air.

With proper ratios, where there will be no gas or air left over, the BOOM will be disastrous. I would say one can of air spray is enough to demolish everything in the room when mixed with proper amount of oxygen.

Over in ex-USSR they use gas (propane) for cooking, heating water, etc. Sometimes explosions occur that wipe out entire buildings (5-7 story buildings)!
These buildings are made of concrete and/or bricks, not cardboard like apts here in the US.