So why doesn't MS Dawn isn't Elite yet / have a custom title?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: dug777
I like her, but what is it with you and this 'give so & so a custom title' game?

Many people are extremely helpful on here, and the mods would be busy 24/7 recognising all those worthy of a custom title if we take your line...

You've ignored many more as worthy if more so than your 'favourites' imho...

If you are implying that I personally have a tendancy to make these kind of threads, I have only made two suggestions in FI in my time here, both very recently. I know Bryophyte takes time every day and makes a thread to recognize birthdays and I think it would be cool for her to get a title for it. You're free to disagree.

MS Dawn's posts are usually excellent and informative... and when they're not, they're usually a witty reply and I enjoy it most of the time.

Due to her work and experience, I think she has a lot to offer on an incredibly wide variety of topics and she is able to post with authority on these subjects often based on first had experience on matters rather than knowledge acquired from other sources.

I know there are a lot of great posters here and since there is no sort of "rating system" in place like some other forums have, Elite is about as close as we can get to giving someone recognition for the quality posts they make here. MS Dawn is really a class act imo. I think I did a rather poor job getting example threads since I just picked some at random from recent threads.

I don't think the mods could stay busy for more than one hour recognizing the posters that are as helpful as MS Dawn is.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
I like her, but what is it with you and this 'give so & so a custom title' game?

Many people are extremely helpful on here, and the mods would be busy 24/7 recognising all those worthy of a custom title if we take your line...

If you are implying that I personally have a tendancy to make these kind of threads, I have only made two suggestions in FI in my time here, both very recently. I know Bryophyte takes time every day and makes a thread to recognize birthdays and I think it would be cool for her to get a title for it. You're free to disagree.

MS Dawn's posts are usually excellent and informative... and when they're not, they're usually a witty reply and I enjoy it most of the time.

Due to her work and experience, I think she has a lot to offer on an incredibly wide variety of topics and she is able to post with authority on these subjects often based on first had experience on matters rather than knowledge acquired from other sources.

I know there are a lot of great posters here and since there is no sort of "rating system" in place like some other forums have, Elite is about as close as we can get to giving someone recognition for the quality posts they make here. MS Dawn is really a class act imo. I think I did a rather poor job getting example threads since I just picked some at random from recent threads.

I don't think the mods could stay busy for more than one hour recognizing the posters that are as helpful as MS Dawn is.

may I propose 2 appropriate titles for both these people....
Bryophyte -- Keeper of the ATOT Holy Birthday Grail
MS DAWN -- This Woman Rockz!!

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004

There are many, many people who are as helpful/witty/friendly as her across these forums imho (and many of them manage to help people without resorting to an insane and arguably unnecessary level of technical detail at the drop of a hat ;));, but apparently they aren't 'good' enough to attract your attention and 'support' in FI ;)

When and why do you arbitrarily decide that someone should be 'rewarded' for this?

One might be lead to think that your custom title has gone to your head ;)

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Sorry guys, I feel foolish doing this, but I HAD to post this.

Another "omgwtf?" post by MS Dawn.

Originally posted by: MS Dawn
Mag is the bose of flashlights. :p

There are many different types of emitters. Traditional LED (T1¾ package) are the most common and produce up to approx 10 lumens each if driven conservatively. Efficacy is always on the increase and Nichia corp seems to be taking precedence in this realm. ALL white LED's are actually indirect injection devices. The LED is a narrowband semi monochromatic device and this is not well suitable for a general illumination device for human eyes. Back in the 90's it was found that a deeper blue emitter when covered with a fluorescent substance whitish light could be produced. These early white emitters had lots of color issues and often very blue.

Today's emitters while far from perfect have much higher efficacies and better color rendition and color temperature balance. The newest Cree devices rival CFL's but produce a point source light. These manufactures are promising better efficacy in the future and hundreds of lumens per watt is possible! :Q

T1¾ based lights will either use an array (hornet's nest) or have an optic to shape or even collimate the light. Luxeon based products can use optics too however deep reflectors will provide much greater throw and better control over the light. There are drop in replacements for traditional flashlights that are based on a side emitter and these work well in mag lights that use conventional incandescent bulbs.

The price of the light determines other features such as digital regulation of the circuitry ensuring the output stays as bright as possible throughout the life of the power cell, flashing, variable power, signaling, etc. Case materials may also be comprised of other uncommon materials such as Titanium. Aluminum machined casings are often Type 3 Hard Anodized with Chemkote treatment on the insides. These higher end products will often feature a thick optical window that's anti reflection coated and hard tempered. These lights can cost hundreds of dollars and will provide years of reliable service. The biggest problem with the smaller lights is losing them! :p

Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
LED's are not dimmable...

ZV

LED's are most certainly dimmable. If the designer uses a good circuit, color can be maintained as well. Incandescents are really not dimmable IME as the color shift to red is very bothersome.

:shocked: too much knowledge FTW

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
So Sean,

First it was Serena now Ms. Dawn. Two women..coincidence? ;)

I already "have" one of the scarce women members :p

She actually told me that Bryophyte was a woman, I had forgotten :eek:

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

There are many, many people who are as helpful/witty/friendly as her across these forums imho (and many of them manage to help people without resorting to an insane and arguably unnecessary level of technical detail at the drop of a hat ;));, but apparently they aren't 'good' enough to attract your attention and 'support' in FI ;)

When and why do you arbitrarily decide that someone should be 'rewarded' for this?

I decided tp post the Bryophyte one after seeing yet another thread she posted and looked through it to see some nice comments as usual. After learning a lot about "community building" activities, I really felt like she was one of the members that makes AT at least somewhat welcoming :p

Shortly afterwards, I was spending some time on AT (as I do from time to time) and saw some very good posting from MS Dawn as usual. It made me feel guilty that I had made the suggestion for the Birthday title when I knew MS Dawn was also one of the posters that really stood out to me.

If I really had anything to say about it, they would both have their titles by now ;)

You might even be "Aussie" or something :p

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004

I decided tp post the Bryophyte one after seeing yet another thread she posted and looked through it to see some nice comments as usual. After learning a lot about "community building" activities, I really felt like she was one of the members that makes AT at least somewhat welcoming :p

Shortly afterwards, I was spending some time on AT (as I do from time to time) and saw some very good posting from MS Dawn as usual. It made me feel guilty that I had made the suggestion for the Birthday title when I knew MS Dawn was also one of the posters that really stood out to me.

If I really had anything to say about it, they would both have their titles by now ;)

I'm just (overly) cautious about the whole proceedings because i do honestly feel that there are some excellent people out there who are equally deserving of recognition...

Peace mate :beer:

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

I'm just (overly) cautious about the whole proceedings because i do honestly feel that there are some excellent people out there who are equally deserving of recognition...

Nothing stopping you from nominating them too :p

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004

Nothing stopping you from nominating them too :p

Indeed ;)

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Ms. Dawn never misses an opportunity to make the community feel awkward & small by posting irrelevant technical information in the most mundane of threads. :thumbsup:

I'm of course, not referring to these particular examples.

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Not to say that I'm an avid poster, but I am as frequent a lurker as much so as you diamond and elite members are on these forums.. I also have seen many many MS Dawn posts, agree she should have 'elite' status, her posts are on point and eye opening for the most part.. a quality that many posters on our forums lack. :thumbsup:

Peace,
Gizmo

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Coquito
Ms. Dawn never misses an opportunity to make the community feel awkward & small by posting irrelevant technical information in the most mundane of threads. :thumbsup:

I'm of course, not referring to these particular examples.
And she hands out mp3s in the threads like they're candy! Definitely somebody worth having an Elite title. :roll:

And I'm also not referring to these particular thread examples.

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004

Thankyou.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
If I weren't sure that I was wrong, I'd guess that she's an AI experiment. Maybe linked up to Wikipedia or something because I notice that she has weird one line posts in threads that are of a technical nature.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
If I weren't sure that I was wrong, I'd guess that she's an AI experiment. Maybe linked up to Wikipedia or something because I notice that she has weird one line posts in threads that are of a technical nature.

She's a bot? :Q ;)