So why didnt Mark Hamill's (Luke Skywalker) career skyrocket like Harrison Ford's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
So why didnt Mark Hamill's career skyrocket like Harrison Ford's?

<sarcastic tone>
Hmmm, that's a tough question. I'm not sure. I'm wondering if it might be the fact that Harrison Ford is a good actor and Mark Hamill is a horrible actor.
</sarcastic tone>

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Hammill's acting was pretty bad and it never got better, unlike Harrison Ford's. And yeah, there is no way to explain who gets type-cast and who doesn't, or who can break out of the type-cast and who can't. It's weird.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Judge his career, do not. For his ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. The Force binds us and feels us up. Grab your testicles, it will.

Damn you! LOL I always laugh when someone does that. Now people around here are looking at me funny. Now I have to give them the "someones account is going to get locked if you don't top staring at me" stare. ;-)

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Harrison Ford has acting skills. Mark Hamill was reportedly so annoyingly juvenile that Sir Guinness got so fed up with him he paid Hamill to "go play somewhere else and leave me the hell alone" basically.

He screwed himself, really. Carry Fisher jumped into bed with drugs and alcohol and flushed her career and nobody else that had a major role really had a recognizable face.

Feb 6, 2007
Harrison Ford was probably offered better roles based on looks and acting talent, but before Return of the Jedi ever came out, Ford had already been in American Grafitti, Apocalypse Now, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Blade Runner, all certified classics. Hamill, on the other hand, was doing Corvette Summer and The Big Red One. Ford's movies did gangbusters at the box office, not to mention he had managed to land the lead in a new series that would go on to be one of the most successful franchises in film history (Indiana Jones). Hamill's movies? Not so much. He couldn't crack the box office the way Ford could.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Are you kidding? Mark makes a better Joker than Jack or Heath. He's a legend.

so you think the voice of the Joker as a career compares to Harrison Ford's career as uh...Harrison fucking Ford?

you're sad.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Still, he certainly doesn't seem to be want of work. He seems to be doing a lot of voice acting over the years.

Yea, I don't think it's so much as his career sucked as it is Harrison Ford's... well he's Harrison Ford.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Exactly- he was in blockbuster after blockbuster. If Tom Selleck had been Indy (as originally planned), Harrison Ford might be hanging out with Mark and Carrie in the "washed up actors home right now.

Ford is a very talented actor though---so I only half believe that. Ford can pretty much play any intense character and make it cool.

Your response to the question of why Ford's career took off but Hamill's didn't is because Ford was in blockbuster after blockbuster?

Is that like saying Bill Gates is successful compared to you because he started Microsoft and made billions?

I think your logic is flawed. The OP is trying to figure out what it is about these two that allowed one to land big roles while the other drifted into obscurity.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Because his memorable lines from Star Wars are:
But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!

While Harrisons memorable lines are:
“Never tell me the odds!”
“Here’s where the fun begins.”
“Wonderful girl. Either I’m going to kill her, or I’m beginning to like her.”
um, you forgot:

"He told me enough, he told me you killed him."

"No. No. That's not true. That's impossible!"

"nooooeeessss"

:D

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
so you think the voice of the Joker as a career compares to Harrison Ford's career as uh...Harrison fucking Ford?

you're sad.

Well, he is a pretty damned good Joker though. His spin on it is what I hope to see every time I see the Joker in a movie/cartoon/game.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Your response to the question of why Ford's career took off but Hamill's didn't is because Ford was in blockbuster after blockbuster?

Is that like saying Bill Gates is successful compared to you because he started Microsoft and made billions?

I think your logic is flawed. The OP is trying to figure out what it is about these two that allowed one to land big roles while the other drifted into obscurity.

No, I'm saying that he got involved in some really marketable movies and franchises by chance, which made him a household name rather than a one trick pony. If you look into his background, he didn't want to do any of the movies that made him who he is today---he did them all as favors or by unlikely turns of events.

Feb 6, 2007

In that regard, I think the biggest boost to Ford's career was George Lucas. American Grafitti, Star Wars and Indiana Jones were all that were needed to cement Ford's legacy as one of the biggest box office draws ever. Lucas had worked with Ford prior to Star Wars, so he had a longer history with him, which might explain why Hamill didn't develop the same working relationship (plus Hamill could never have played Indiana Jones). But in the world of Hollywood, if you can string together blockbusters like Star Wars and Indiana Jones, you're hot property.

That and Ford chose his roles better, going the route of the rough and tumble wise-crackin' action star that American film fans adore. Hamill couldn't fit that mold.