So who has yet to dig out their old rusted Weber?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Googer
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Weber, only Weber. There's no reason to even consider anything else unless you're strapped for cash.

As for rusted Webers, never seen one rust.

ZV
Then you have not seen very many Webber Grills outside of a Home Depot.
Had one sitting outside on our deck through midwestern winters for the last 15 years without it rusting. Neighbors' Webers too.

ZV

Well, the salty Florida air destroyed all the Webbers that I had ever seen.

The acid rain around here destroyed mine. :p

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Weber, only Weber. There's no reason to even consider anything else unless you're strapped for cash.

ZV

Jump on the WTFLOLWEBERBBQ bandwagon...you will be assimulated.

Having a weber for many is like the guy in the ghetto with the lexus.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I usually buy those cheap portable charcoal that sell at super markets and wlagreens every year for $10. They actually work very well, but do not expect them to last past 1 summer.

WW

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Coquito
Top 10 coal grills for '07

Does this link have any truth to it? Any other best of lists from ConsumerReports or anywhere else? Personal experiences?

I use an older 18" Weber that I'd like to replace. I'd like something that is adjustable, alot more space, & has a seperate level to cook things slow. That Outlaw Char-Griller sounds like what I want. Of course, I haven't done enough research, as I'm sure there are twenty other companies putting out the exact same thing.

Oh, where does everyone get their wood chips/chunks from? Home Depot likes to make a little extra on the scraps it seems.

I need a grill by this weekend, or I'll be stuck working on that rusted out hulk in the backyard. :(

don't use 'wood chips/chucks' use lump charcoal..

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

to cook things slow....you arrange the coals for a hot zone, and a cooler zone....or set up for 'indirect heat' with the charcoal to the sides

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: WW
Top 10 coal grills for '07

Does this link have any truth to it? Any other best of lists from ConsumerReports or anywhere else? Personal experiences?

I use an older 18" Weber that I'd like to replace. I'd like something that is adjustable, alot more space, & has a seperate level to cook things slow. That Outlaw Char-Griller sounds like what I want. Of course, I haven't done enough research, as I'm sure there are twenty other companies putting out the exact same thing.

Oh, where does everyone get their wood chips/chunks from? Home Depot likes to make a little extra on the scraps it seems.

I need a grill by this weekend, or I'll be stuck working on that rusted out hulk in the backyard. :(

don't use 'wood chips/chucks' use lump charcoal..

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

to cook things slow....you arrange the coals for a hot zone, and a cooler zone....or set up for 'indirect heat' with the charcoal to the sides

Hey, if you can find a place in nyc that sells decent lump that'd be great. I obviously don't have time to buy stuff online. No one around here seems to sell anything other then Kingsford. Too many propane grills to make room for anything else. Wood gets really hot, so I guess I would use it sparingly.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: jcuadrado
I use an infrared Charbroil/TEC series grill....love it...although I've read that charcoal produces the best taste....I just love the convenience of gas...and the food is great anyway...

happy grilling..

Yeah, I love the taste of charcoal but the convenience of gas has me grilling about 10x more often. I'd like to bring the charcoal grill out of the basement a few times this year.

RayH

Jun 30, 2000

Hey, if you can find a place in nyc that sells decent lump that'd be great. I obviously don't have time to buy stuff online. No one around here seems to sell anything other then Kingsford. Too many propane grills to make room for anything else. Wood gets really hot, so I guess I would use it sparingly.

In north Jersey, there's a bunch of places that carry Royal Oak lump charcoal. There's a place called Modern Traveler in Lodi that always has it in stock. True Value or ServiceStar Hardware stores also carry lump charcoal or can can order it for you.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: RayH
I've had a Big Green Egg for about 10 years now.
It's pretty much a minimalist grill/smoker but the ceramic is so efficient at retaining heat that once I get the temperature stabilized I can smoke a pork shoulder for 24 hours straight on a single batch of charcoal without having to touch the grill. When it's cranked up it's like a blast furnace. Also can easily cook in subzero temps and heavy wind and snow as longs as the lid isn't frozen shut.

Thats the only grill Id consider dumping my weber for. Maybe keep em both actually..

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: nutxo

Thats the only grill Id consider dumping my weber for. Maybe keep em both actually..[/quote]

That's really just a smoker. I don't wake up at 9am on a weekend that often. :p

In north Jersey, there's a bunch of places that carry Royal Oak lump charcoal. There's a place called Modern Traveler in Lodi that always has it in stock. True Value or ServiceStar Hardware stores also carry lump charcoal or can can order it for you.

Taking an hour on the train to the LES is about my lismit, sorry. Stop n Shop does have Cowboy lump, but I might as well chop up my own furniture & use that instead. Mmm varnish. :p

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

ZV
Had one sitting outside on our deck through midwestern winters for the last 15 years without it rusting. Neighbors' Webers too.

ZV

I'd also like to add to that. All my relativities in the north east have rusted Webbers in their back yards.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
It's pretty much a minimalist grill/smoker but the ceramic is so efficient at retaining heat that once I get the temperature stabilized I can smoke a pork shoulder for 24 hours straight on a single batch of charcoal without having to touch the grill. When it's cranked up it's like a blast furnace. Also can easily cook in subzero temps and heavy wind and snow as longs as the lid isn't frozen shut.

Thats the only grill Id consider dumping my weber for. Maybe keep em both actually..

Yeah, that thing looks sweet - but its pretty damn expensive. Think I'll keep my 22" Weber for a little while longer.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

ZV

ZV

I'd also like to add to that. All my relativities in the north east have rusted Webbers in their back yards.

I dont get it. I live in the great rain gutter of the nothwest ( aka WA state ) Less than 2 miles from the sound( salt water ) and theres only a spot or 2 where the ceramic has chipped thats rusting. The only thing that can rust is the screws . Everything elst is wood, ceramic coated or aluminum.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
just repleaced my 4 year old $40 Walmart special...still works fine, but I want something with a bigger grilling area and a warming rack, so picked up a new Walmart $80 special last night...

amazing how mine didn't rust when i used my BBQ cover when I wasn't using the grill....

It did have some rust around the vent hole thingey, but other than that, the grill was rock solid for us...

KGB

Diamond Member
May 11, 2000
Originally posted by: PottedMeat

Yeah, that thing looks sweet - but its pretty damn expensive. Think I'll keep my 22" Weber for a little while longer.

QFT The Weber kettle grill is hands-down the best grill.

Wood chips / chunks do not belong in a grill, they go into one of THESE
I'll be doing chickens in mine tomorrow :cool:

For roasting, nothing beats a China Box.
It's for large crowds but will do a full pig in about 6-8 hrs.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: KGBMAN
Originally posted by: PottedMeat

For roasting, nothing beats a China Box.
It's for large crowds but will do a full pig in about 6-8 hrs.

back home in eastern north carolina its not unusual for people to slice an oil drum in half and turn it into a grill. my dads got one....mmmmmm roast pig.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: xSauronx

back home in eastern north carolina its not unusual for people to slice an oil drum in half and turn it into a grill. my dads got one....mmmmmm roast pig.

You can also find them stationary in most parks & beaches in NY.:D They take too much charcoal though.

Jeffwo

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2001
I bought a new Charb-Broil double burner this year but of course, I had to overclock it...LOL.

I put in a heavy guage heatplate and covered it with lavarock. Boy, you get that baby heated up and she will cook up some ribeyes :)

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Jeffwo
I bought a new Charb-Broil double burner this year but of course, I had to overclock it...LOL.

I put in a heavy guage heatplate and covered it with lavarock. Boy, you get that baby heated up and she will cook up some ribeyes :)

Does it glow? I was reading some reviews of one of the Char-Griller charcoal units, & this guy had enough lump & wood in there to make the whole unit warp, break the temp. gauge, & rip through the bottom pan.