So who has had Cataract surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Suffered some damage to one of my eyes that has caused a cataract. After initially thinking it could go awhile before needing to be worked on, now one of my docs think it needs to be done sooner than later. The most interesting thing about this is the ability to experiment on yourself to see just how effective the brain is at filtering out the "bad" signal allowing you to still see a clear image.

Anyone else have this done? How long were you semi-functional afterwards? Total knockout during is at least an option I hope as I firmly believe in keeping the man-card with maximum use of anesthesia.

Last edited:

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
In Great Britain they are working on a procedure that may provide an alternative to lasik surgery.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...ee-In-High-Definition/Article/200912115485724
Multifocal IOLs similar to those mentioned in the link are already on the market, but they don't give the results that people usually expect, as part of your visual field is always out of focus. That's why my lab works on developing something which mimics the young, natural lens, which gives acute vision at all distances.

Cataract surgery is the most commonly performed surgery in the US and has the lowest rate of complication. Whether or not you are anesthetized likely depends on whether you or your insurance wants to pay for anesthesia.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I have always been very nearsighted, in the 20/400 range.
I had cataract surgery about 1 1/2 years ago - and the implant lenses have brought me into about 20/40 for one eye and
around 20/30 for the other, with my left eye set for reading at a prime range of 18 - 28 inches, and the right set for distance.
Technically, I don't need to wear glasses to function, but my work environment demands a safety lens for eye protection ,
so I have a lightweight plastic pair and wear them most ot the time because I like a sharp crisp focus.
You can see well immediately after the implants, and healing only takes a few days, typically less than a week.
It's nearly painless, just a little pressure when they break up and extract the natural lens.

The hardening and occlusion of the natural lens happens so slowly that you don't realize it until you get the rings and halos around lights.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
mine happened overnight due to damage to the eye (it is nice sitting in the doc's office though and being at least half as old as the average clientèle). they say it's a fairly small blemish in the very center at everything to me out of the eye looks like someone put a couple sheets of waxed cooking paper in front of me. The other eye is still fine with 20/20 so unless looking at something at the very edge of periphery that the good eye can't see everything looks clear to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.