Discussion So, who enjoys soy foods?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
OK I do enjoy Tofu, Real Soy Sauce, and other then foods with TVP added and some Soy Milk a few times I haven't eaten other foods made from soybeans. Such items as Fermented Tofu, Tempeh, fermented soybean paste, or Natto.

I really like to consume some Tempeh and fermented soybean paste. I also think that I'm brave enough to give both natto and stinky tofu a try.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu

What do you like the most?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Tofu souffles are good! So Tofu brulee! Tofu crepes and Tofu Ganashe! Tofu licorice is good!
Tofu soup and Tofu smoothies and Tofu Fittatas!!

Reactions: sdifox

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Love stinky tofu. Served piping hot with a sweet soy sauce paste and chilli. With sugar pickled Taiwanese cabbage on the side.

Damn you, you made me drool.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
I don't wanna become a sot boy!

:eek::eek::eek:

You know that's not really a thing, right? It was just some misinformation the Communists put out there to keep soy prices low for export to China and encourage Real Americans to die of diabetes and heart disease.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like raw soybeans out of the field. Otherwise, it's hard to get excited over them. They're versatile, but bland.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Anyone use Soy oil for cooking? I wouldn't mind depending on how it is made, but I prefer to use butter and Olive Oil.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Soybean oil is old school commodity oil from before corn dominated food production. It's nothing special.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Soybean oil is old school commodity oil from before corn dominated food production. It's nothing special.
I didn't say that was anything special about soy oil. But I wouldn't mind using some depending on how it is made.

Mar 11, 2004
I bought a bag of "Soy Nuts", they had very little flavor but were harder than peanuts. I'd try edamame but too lazy to make it myself and the various prepared ones I've seen have been high priced for what you get it seems to me. I guess, I've had soy that's used for filler in various products (lots of cheap "Protein" versions of foods for instance, like cereals). But other than that I haven't. Don't think I'd like the texture of tofu and soy milk sounds nasty and pointless.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I bought a bag of "Soy Nuts", they had very little flavor but were harder than peanuts. I'd try edamame but too lazy to make it myself and the various prepared ones I've seen have been high priced for what you get it seems to me. I guess, I've had soy that's used for filler in various products (lots of cheap "Protein" versions of foods for instance, like cereals). But other than that I haven't. Don't think I'd like the texture of tofu and soy milk sounds nasty and pointless.
Well there are people who can't consume milk at all. While I probably wouldn't eat uncooked and unseasoned Tofu by itself, it is delicious cooked with other ingredients and and by isself if properly prepared and/or with sauces.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well there are people who can't consume milk at all. While I probably wouldn't eat uncooked and unseasoned Tofu by itself, it is delicious cooked with other ingredients and and by isself if properly prepared and/or with sauces.

Tofu is steam cooked. So no such thing as uncooked tofu.

At the minimum you put soy sauce, scallion and bonito shaving on it. Or put it in soup or hotpot. Never seen it served unseasoned.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Frozen edamame is not expensive. I buy the ones that are out of the pod. Good utility veggie.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You must have had miso soup, which is made with miso, a fermented soy bean paste, usually with tofu, seaweed, bonito shaving and scallion. Some times dry smelts instead of bonito shaving due to cost.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Tofu is steam cooked. So no such thing as uncooked tofu.

At the minimum you put soy sauce, scallion and bonito shaving on it. Or put it in soup or hotpot. Never seen it served unseasoned.
OK fresh Tofu eaten plain.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Like I said, never seen it eaten unseasoned. Even in hot pot you dip in sauce after you heat it up in the pot.
Yeah no one is likely to eat it that way unless that was the only food available.

BTW, isn't tofu fairly cheap from Asian Markets? And it is the chain stores that are expensive.