Discussion So who enjoys eating Sauerkraut?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I just got some sauerkraut Sunday when I to the store to show a case manager who was getting stuff for a barbecue for the clients where the sauerkraut was at. Well I brought a few things myself and I have two 32 Oz bags of the stuff. I just ate some about ~20 minutes ago.

The only foods with it that I have eaten are corn beef sandwich, hot dogs, and Polish sausage. So what else is good with some? I thinking turkey sandwich.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I love it, we make a stampot out of it (dutch winter dish)
cook up some bacon till it's crispy, save the grease and cut bacon into bits, boil potatoes and sauerkraut, drain water, smash potatoes and add bacon and grease and serve (i add liberal amounts of dijon mustard to mine)

rookworst-plate.jpg

Reactions: skyking

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
A just made some Ramen noddles and add sauerkraut to this. Tastes really good.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
actually I like my Sugar frosted flakes with sauerkraut!!!! There GREAT!!!!!!

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Depends on the kraut, I love Bubbies but some of the brands taste gross. Hint: It should be crisp, like good coleslaw, not slimy.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I'm pretty sure cooking your sauerkraut in any way completely destroys the point of its probiotic nature. I guess if you don't care about that, cook it all you want.

I go through spurts of eating it, and always eat too much at once, but I like it with simple chicken sausage or bratwurst chopped over the top. Sometimes some cheese. Haven't thought about putting boiled potatoes over it, even though I ate it like that in Switzerland. Same with a fried egg.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I don't care for it. My wife had a trip to Germany and I got to tag along. Had some at the Oktoberfest and it was freaking great! Still don't care for it back here in the states.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
We make our own. Most store bought ones do contain vinegar which makes it terrible and not really real sauerkraut.

We use salt only and let it self ferment. Bestest stuff ever and very healthy that way.

Go sauerkraut.

PS.
My fav recipe - add olive oil, diced onion, grated carrot and apple. Let sit overnight for flavors to mix.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I definitely did not like it as a kid (I dunno if I had even tried it, it just looked and smell stank to me).

But I eat it as an adult and f'ing love it. I have it with kielbasa and hot dogs, and of course reuben sandwiches (minus that feces-like dressing).

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Man I do miss eating Nemecek Brothers klobása with sauerkraut. That was some good eatin'.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Anyone eat Sauerkraut by itself? I did that last night and it was good, and I think I'm to eat some now.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Anyone eat Sauerkraut by itself? I did that last night and it was good, and I think I'm to eat some now.
All the time. I pretty much always have some in the fridge. A couple good ones that are a bit on the spendy side are Jacobs Raw spicy kraut(Distinct ginger flavor, with slight heat), and Cleveland Kraut Gnar-Gnar(Kind of a vegan kimchi. Lacks some of the flavors of kimchi, but is rough cut, and has a bold flavor. A bit hotter than the Jacobs, but still not that hot).

On the subject of kimchi, that's really good too. If you like kraut, you should like that. More complex flavor, and a bit stinkier, but it tastes great.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
All the time. I pretty much always have some in the fridge. A couple good ones that are a bit on the spendy side are Jacobs Raw spicy kraut(Distinct ginger flavor, with slight heat), and Cleveland Kraut Gnar-Gnar(Kind of a vegan kimchi. Lacks some of the flavors of kimchi, but is rough cut, and has a bold flavor. A bit hotter than the Jacobs, but still not that hot).

On the subject of kimchi, that's really good too. If you like kraut, you should like that. More complex flavor, and a bit stinkier, but it tastes great.
Yeah I used to get kimchi from Shop n Save before they close their stores. Unless I want to pay Schnooks prices or unless the local Walmart carries that, I'm going to have to settle for sauerkraut. I do enjoy it but I'm missing taste of kimchi.