So where the hell is HL:2 Ep. 3???

Apr 17, 2003
I just finished episode 2 for the second time. The game is about a year old now. Are there any plans to release the third any time in the near future?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
funny, I was just thinking this the other day. Isn't it about time for the next ep to be released? I haven't heard sh1t about it though!

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
2010. Episodic content is a failure of epic proportions.

Edit - Link

QFT. Why do I have to play a game that looks as horrible as HL2(by today's standards) next to all these other games coming out. Valve needs a new game engine so badly.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: dguy6789

Edit - Link

QFT. Why do I have to play a game that looks as horrible as HL2(by today's standards) next to all these other games coming out. Valve needs a new game engine so badly.

what? source still looks great and runs on virtually any hardware, could we ask for more?

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
"Valve employee Doug Lombardi has stated that news on or an announcement of Episode Three may be revealed near the end of 2008"

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

I love Valve, and I'm glad there's a think tank out there to do these experiments, but their "smaller games more often" approach totally fizzled. By the time we get Ep 3, the three episodes will add up to roughly a full length title, and it will ship by... Late 2009? Early 2010? 5 or 6 years after Half-Life 2 shipped? In other words, another 5 to 6 year development cycle.

Valve makes great games, but it seems that, like all things, greatness cannot be rushed. I'd rather wait 5 or 6 years between full length half-life titles (and the fanfare and month of rejoicing that surrounds each one's launch) than deal with these bite-size episodes.

Apr 17, 2005

Edit - Link

stupid post is extra stupid.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

Edit - Link

It looks fine. Theres better looking engines but who cares if the games theyre utilised are no fun garbage.

EP3 is coming but i havent heard when, apparently theres an announcement about it coming near the end of 2008 according to the wiki page on episode 3.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Fallout 3 should have used Source instead of the unreliable, instable GameBryo, I like Bethesda but I've got CTD's and freezings and all sorts of bugs starting from Morrowind, passing by Oblivion and today with Fallout 3 (right now the official discussion forums on the issues for all versions of Fallout 3 are filled with problems of all types, it's even worse than Oblivion ever was). So yeah, Source may not produce the same quality of graphics but it can sustain a lot of punishment.

If any of you ever played with the FakeFactory modification you'll understand what the Source engine can really sustain in terms of photorealistic textures, it's enough to make Crysis run for its money. If companies like Bethesda in DIRE need of a new engine ever want to make ANY other game they SHOULD consider Source, in my opinion. And since Episode 2 we've seen that Source is definitely capable of creating large scale environments, and by Episode 3's release the engine will have received new enhancements.

Since Episode 1 received HDR and better textures and lightning effects, along with better A.I, in Episode 2 it was again updated for better physics (cinematic physics and in-game physics, like the scene on the bridge with the cars), yet better A.I (new A.I too for the smaller Combine Hunters), and less loading since each levels are bigger than in any other Half-Life titles to date. I'm pretty certain that Episode 3 will introduce yet more upgrades and capabilities, the Source engine is modular and upgradeable at any time the developers needs it, which apparently isn't exactly the case for others around, and when it is then it's barely noticeable or it makes things instable.

So for their Source engine I applaud Valve, and in the 3D gaming world Source is still easily sitting on the top 3 podium of computer engineering and programming to this day, they didn't spend four years concocting and carving and building that engine alone before Half-Life 2's actual development for nothing, and it pays to see great results. We should be happy to still have a company like Valve for PC gaming today.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Originally posted by: ja1484

I love Valve, and I'm glad there's a think tank out there to do these experiments, but their "smaller games more often" approach totally fizzled. By the time we get Ep 3, the three episodes will add up to roughly a full length title, and it will ship by... Late 2009? Early 2010? 5 or 6 years after Half-Life 2 shipped? In other words, another 5 to 6 year development cycle.

Valve makes great games, but it seems that, like all things, greatness cannot be rushed. I'd rather wait 5 or 6 years between full length half-life titles (and the fanfare and month of rejoicing that surrounds each one's launch) than deal with these bite-size episodes.

i loved the idea, and love valve

but i really agree with your post there....

having HL2 "continued" or HL3 drop in 2009/2010 as a game just as long(gameplay) as HL2 would have been way more epic

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: BassBomb
Originally posted by: ja1484

i loved the idea, and love valve

but i really agree with your post there....

having HL2 "continued" or HL3 drop in 2009/2010 as a game just as long(gameplay) as HL2 would have been way more epic

Yea this pisses me off too. It's 4 years later and we only have 2 episodes and a little extra 1/2hr map to play. They could have made a whole new game in this time. I love HL so I will by their games buy damn man, they did not implement episodic contect well.

lifeobry

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2008
i just finished EP2 a week ago and the graphics still look good. but yeah it is taking quite... a while for EP3.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I just STARTED playing Ep2 this weekend. Was trying to go thru Ep1, then start Ep2 but I gave up and decided to just play Ep2 and be done with it. Looks like two days will be all I will get to play it, as I just picked up Fallout 3 today, so once again Half Life takes a back seat to a newer game.

Hey, I made Platinum status on this post .. yay me !! Where's my cookie ?

conorvansmack

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2004
I've been holding off on playing Ep 2 for a while. Portal acheivements have kept me busy, but the wait is getting to me.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Episodic content is a failure of epic proportions.

Quoted for Epic Truth.

Just because Valve failed epically, doesn't mean episodic gaming is a failure. There are other game developers out there. Sam & Max episodes are still coming out regularly.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad

Edit - Link

stupid post is extra stupid.

Source looks like trash. You guys can be happy paying money for 2003 games that take forever to come out and still end up sucking in the gameplay department all you want, but I prefer paying for something that is at least vaguely enjoyable. Half Life 2 was fun the first go around, episode 1 and 2 are both garbage and episode 3 will probably be as well. They all look absolutely horrible by today's standards.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Episodic content is a failure of epic proportions.

Quoted for Epic Truth.

I still have SiN: Episode 1 in my list of Steam games. Can't wait for episode 2!!

Oh wait.. Crap!

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006

Edit - Link

Left 4 Dead looks great though... At least, it does without paying huge attention to detail. (I did that for the first... 30 seconds, going "WOW THIS GAME LOOKS GREAT." then.. it all happened)

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
the idea was good for episodes.

But they went away from teh concept. They wouldn't just release the episode, it needed to come along with updates on the engine also. And with other games(deathmatch, TF2, portal).

They needed to just make the new boards with the original engine and release them a couple of months apart instead of the huge updates.

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: WT
I just STARTED playing Ep2 this weekend. Was trying to go thru Ep1, then start Ep2 but I gave up and decided to just play Ep2 and be done with it. Looks like two days will be all I will get to play it, as I just picked up Fallout 3 today, so once again Half Life takes a back seat to a newer game.

Hey, I made Platinum status on this post .. yay me !! Where's my cookie ?

Be sure to finish Ep2 before Ep3 comes out, the ending to Ep2 is pretty crucial.