So when will we get a Star Wars MMO FPS?

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
So when will computer and internet capabilities allow us to have a Star Wars MMO FPS? I say FPS but I mean more than that.

One thing I advocate is mixing Battlefield style gameplay with World War 2 online's HUGE map system with hundreds of cities to capture and fight over.

But what about going far beyond that, and having Star Wars MMO where you fight over planets and star systems? In space you'd have everything from player controlled spaceships, perhaps even player capital ships, and you could invade planets with ground troops too. But it would be set up like WW2Online where after you capture so much of the game universe, your side wins and it resets. So it would be 50% space combat and 50% planetary infantry combat - you'd even be able to, in some situations, take breaching pods to attack capital ships as infantry.

So are we 10 years from having this? 20? I'd love to be able to run an interdictor cruiser, but I imagine that modeling actual hyperspace travel (instead of zoning between plantary spaces like MMORPG systems would do) would be the hardest thing of all to do.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
while we're dreaming i'll take a modern version of rebellion.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I'm sure you can all imagine how direct space combat would work but here's how it might work to board a ship and attack as infantry. Imagine that you attack a Star Destroyer with a breaching assault ship. Each breaching ship could act as a spawn point for up to 20 people with 200 tickets each, and each Star Destroyer up to say 100 people could spawn from it with 1000 tickets available to defend itself. Obviously, people would not just spawn on a star destroyer and wait for it to be attacked, instead people could send out a help request if boarded and infantry would spawn on it. Even bots, if necessary, to make sure it works this way. Either way, if a star destroyer survives an assault but is low on tickets, it would have to resupply at a friendly base to replenish them. I think you can use your imagination from here on how this battle might work.

Can you imagine though, you've boarded a Star Destroyer with just 1 pod, and it jumps to hyperspace to get to safety before anyone assault pods can get onto it, so it's your 20 and 200 tickets against up to 100 with 1000 tickets...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
thats way too huge a scale. not only would that require massive amounts of players but also massive coordination. it'll never happen.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
thats way too huge a scale. not only would that require massive amounts of players but also massive coordination. it'll never happen.

Well...not exactly. A Star Destroyer would only take like 8 people to operate. A SD might have hundreds of turbolaser batteries, all those could not be modeled of course, but a few dozen could, and one person could control several at a time all synchronized to fire on the spot you aim at(thus 7 gunners to cover multiple directions).

TIE fighter pilots would of course be different, maybe each SD would allow up to 30 to spawn?

All the people who would defend a SD as infantry against a boarding action(which would be unlikely to happen that often since assault pods would be shot down) would only spawn there as needed. And they could even be bots if that's required to avoid the "massive organization" you speak of.

And there is no reason bots can't be used to make sure that EVERY gun battery, every ship in the game is populated at all times, with live players jumping in and replacing bots whenever and wherever they choose.

Remember that part of the question is when will we have the technology to do this, even if players aren't ready for the organization required. 20 years? Already can? 50 years?

Last edited:

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
For a FPS MMO, I wouldn't bother making it Star Wars themed. There are enough Star Wars games out there already, and the appeal (IMO) is deteriorating.

A very nicely done FPS MMO RPG would be great though. Several companies have tried it and none of them have seemed to last very long. The core problem, IMO, is in the fact that the "skill" in most FPS games is in twitch reactions, good aiming, knowing the map like the back of your hand, etc. The "skill" in an RPG is how much time you have invested, what items you've found, how you spend your skill points, knowing what abilities to use in various situations, etc.

Combining the two together, and you have the best players (FPS skill wise) running around with the best gear, killing everyone and being virtually unstoppable.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
If it is something that you think will do well, and you really want one to be out there, then why don't you start working on coding it? If you cannot get Lucasarts to buy in, then you can reset the plot to something similar to Star Wars, but the only realy way to make sure it gets done would be to do it yourself.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
If it is something that you think will do well, and you really want one to be out there, then why don't you start working on coding it? If you cannot get Lucasarts to buy in, then you can reset the plot to something similar to Star Wars, but the only realy way to make sure it gets done would be to do it yourself.

As I'm sure you anticipate, I have no ability to code anything, or any programming ability at all.

As for plot...huh? This is an MMO shooter/combat game, there wouldn't be any plot. For a plot we will have The Old Republic.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Not sure how you could get enough people to simulate even one space battle, much less a galaxy full of them.

Modern remake of the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series would be awesome though. That gets brought up all the time. Wonder how many people would actually be interested in paying for such a thing, and whether the online demand has even registered with anyone at Lucasarts.

I've never felt like Star Wars shooters were that good. Maybe they just seem off to me because Star Wars blaster shots move slowly so it's hard to shoot anything that's moving. I still enjoyed Battlefront and Jedi Knight, but more for the vehicle and lightsaber segments.

Are there any vehicle-focused MMO games out there? Everything seems to be centered around having a character that fights somehow, either with handheld weapons or magic. Are there any MMOs where either your character is a pilot/driver (not a soldier) or where your "character" is a vehicle? That might be fun.

EDIT: Durr, World of Tanks. Anything else?

EDIT 2: DOUBLE DERP, EVE.

So there are at least a few.

Last edited:

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Not sure how you could get enough people to simulate even one space battle, much less a galaxy full of them.

That, and everyone is also ignoring the fact that today's modern gamer would be too busy yelling 'LOL NOOB LOL SCRUB U BAD' the entire time to actually be able to enjoy the game.

Arsinek

Feb 9, 2010
Ya, I think you'd have a hard time combining the space aspect with the ground aspect currently, that's a huge amount of information. Other then that its perfectly feasible. Take EVE and replace ships with TIE fighters, X-wings, etc, give it a cockpit view and the ability to aim yourself, done.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Ya, I think you'd have a hard time combining the space aspect with the ground aspect currently, that's a huge amount of information. Other then that its perfectly feasible. Take EVE and replace ships with TIE fighters, X-wings, etc, give it a cockpit view and the ability to aim yourself, done.

Aim, and fly, yourself, and that might not be too bad. I know this will make you guys groan but they could use bots to populate all the infantry combat so that players can just be the pilots if they want.

But if the ground aspect had to be abandoned, it could at least get started with space combat only. They should at least let you spawn as a person and walk to your X Wing even if there aren't actual ground battles.

What could happen is a typical attack force could be 5 Star Destroyers with 30 TIE each, that's like 200 people(150 TIE pilot, 5 SD captains and 45 turbolaser gunners, 9 per SD). I know that oversimplifies a true SW battle since there would be light frigates and who knows what else, but hey, but it's just a simplified example.

The thing is, in my vision equipment is not unlimited. There might be a limited number of Star Destroyers that can respawn, and an individual SD might have a max deployable limit of 30 TIE, which if they are destroyed,
can only respawn say, 300 tickets worth(average of 10 deaths per pilot). So people would not only have to win battles, but when it's time to quit for the night, you'd want to return your TIE to base so that the ticket for it isn't wasted. Same with the SD, except if a SD captain had to log out, someone could always take his place on the fly, so a SD wouldn't usually have to return to a friendly base in order to log out. They would have to return to base for more than light repairs, though.

I only use Star Destroyers in my example, but you can imagine that for smaller, less important raids, an attack force might just be a couple of small frigates with only a few TIEs each.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
The only thing is I hope that hyperspace could be modeled. In Star Wars, hyperspace really just means faster than light but you are still in the same universe, you don't travel through an alternate dimension. This means if you pass near planets, or gravity well generator traps, you drop out of hyperspace because if you impacted something like that in hyperspace, you would die.

And, there was a time in one of the expanded universe books, someone radio controlled an unmanned cruiser and caused it to go into hyperspace while pointed at an enemy capital ship, which basically worked like a light speed bomb. Being able to do that in the game is a must!