So when will gas prices start to lower?

MrChicken

Feb 18, 2000
$1.35 here

Gas perices are not going to get much lower. The US is using less gas, and OPEC is cutting production to match, so the price will stay up. If we had 50mpg cars OPEC would just keep cutting production to keep the prices high.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Originally posted by: MrChicken
$1.35 here

Gas perices are not going to get much lower. The US is using less gas, and OPEC is cutting production to match, so the price will stay up. If we had 50mpg cars OPEC would just keep cutting production to keep the prices high.

Let's Blow OPEC to hell and gone. Artificially marking up prices on the guize of supply and demand laws is criminal. I'm fed up with price gouging, and yet this administration (as well as past administrations)do not a damn thing about it.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
$1.35 here

Where do you live and what gas station is it? Mobile premium still goes for around 1.80 in Michigan. The cheap kind is around 1.55.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
$1.35 here

Let's Blow OPEC to hell and gone. Artificially marking up prices on the guize of supply and demand laws is criminal. I'm fed up with price gouging, and yet this administration (as well as past administrations)do not a damn thing about it.

Then we need more non-opec sources.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
$1.35 here

Which is why we need to push this government and auto makers to take alternative fuels seriously. For example Japan which imports 90% of it's oil is well under way in it's alternative fueled vehicle program. In the future I suspect that once they developed their alternative fuel technology to a point were they can make it affordable on a mass scale for the majority of folks here in the U.S. market. Well by then we will see 70's type flash back of the auto wars were Detroit ends up getting raped in the butt hole until they can catch up. Imagine if we were not dependent on OPEC any more when it came to consumer cars ? OPEC would shit in it's pants along side other oil companies as well. No more wars for foreign oil and no more consumer gauging. I mean you got to ask yourself who besides OPEC is financially dependent on U.S. car drivers spending more at the gas pump ?

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison
$1.35 here

Then we need more non-opec sources.

Bust up the oil cartel, and let each producer market their oil freely in a competitive marketplace. Outlaw cartels of every sort. They hamper free trade, and inflict pain and suffering on others while they laugh their asses off all the way to the bank. If Saudi Arabia needs x amount of money to pay its bills, it sells what it has to pay those bills at the price it needs. If Venezuela needs to pay its bills by selling its oil, it charges what it needs. As a buyer, we pay what we can afford, or conserve. The only effect of a cartel setting artificial prices is to "stabylize" the market. The only stabylization needed is market forces from free trade.

Then maybe we can buy some oklhoma crude, or pennsylvania crude, or mexican crude, or russian crude.

You don't see that going on now, do you?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Drift3r
$1.35 here

Which is why we need to push this government and auto makers to take alternative fuels seriously. For example Japan which imports 90% of it's oil is well under way in it's alternative fueled vehicle program. In the future I suspect that once they developed their alternative fuel technology to a point were they can make it affordable on a mass scale for the majority of folks here in the U.S. market. Well by then we will see 70's type flash back of the auto wars were Detroit ends up getting raped in the butt hole until they can catch up. Imagine if we were not dependent on OPEC any more when it came to consumer cars ? OPEC would shit in it's pants along side other oil companies as well. No more wars for foreign oil and no more consumer gauging. I mean you got to ask yourself who besides OPEC is financially dependent on U.S. car drivers spending more at the gas pump ?

There are other issues to consider... think Kodak or Polaroid and the digital camera. Unless and until the suppliers of engine parts can retool or figure out how to deal with a transition it won't happen... how many folks involved in that and in the gas production and delivery vs say hydrogen cell powered vehicles.. Mechanic shops etc etc... I'd bet (I've not done the research) there are millions of jobs relying on the gas engine. The economies of Japan, Germany, France, GB and others would go down... I think... and big time down.

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
Bush is a oil puppet, he doesn't care about the price of gas, his buddies are making it big, that's what counts, it's also one of main reasons we went in Iraq and it will be the big reason why he wants to take Iran.

MrChicken

Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
$1.35 here

Where do you live and what gas station is it? Mobile premium still goes for around 1.80 in Michigan. The cheap kind is around 1.55.

Memphis TN.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Most cars today arent even calibrated to run on Premium, and you may actually hurt your performance, especially emissions performance if you dont run regular. In most cases Premium is a wasted expense.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
$1.35 here

Actually, the price of oil has not kept up with inflation. The current high prices are the result of the US's invasion of Iraq.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Actually, the price of oil has not kept up with inflation.

True, gas is one of the few commodities that is still very cheap.

The current high prices are result of the US's invasion of Iraq.

That was true earlier in this year but there are many other factors to involved. Where you are in the country and the available supplies also makes a difference.

LA. Fires Erupt at Two La. Oil Refineries

CA. Gas Prices Rising
"Three Northern California refineries have reported production problems in recent days, which has reduced overall production by about 17 percent in the past two weeks, and that has pushed prices up in the state," said Auto Club spokeswoman Carol Thorp.

Add in Opec trying to maintain a stable price, continued problems in Iraq, the summer driving season and a some others that I haven't thought of and you will have a bump in prices.

Gas here in OK is around $1.40. That's just a little more than what I remember paying for gas about 10 years ago.

MrChicken

Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Drift3r
$1.35 here

You nailed the problem, that alternative fuels cost more than petroleum based fuels do. OPEC knows that too, they try to keep gas cheap enough that their market is never threatened, and high enough to rake in huge money.

I think GWB started an initiative get fuel cells working. Nice possibilities out of fuel cells, if only they can become reality.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
OPEC has a low price limit as well, completely set by what the SA royal family needs to maintain their corruption, I mean govt.....

We fund terrorists everytime we fill up....

gas here is $1.25 a gallon, where it went and has stayed since the oil fields were secured in Iraq.....

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Don't they just adjust the prices to maximize profits?
Charge what the market will bear.
If you can't afford the gas, sell the car and walk.

Funny how the Gas Hogging Hummer gets a full price tax write-off
if you can afford to pay that much, and call it a 'Business' expense.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
when the oil & government reps phat pockets get near any anti-trust words, and not before