Question So, what's your thoughts on the new iPhone SE?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It basically looks like a smaller, faster version of the iPhone XR for just $400, That seems like a surprisingly good value for an Apple product. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i figured they'd go with a larger screen and less forehead and chin, though i guess 4.7" allows apple to continue using paid-for screen engineering/manufacturing.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
It's the iPhone 8.1, or iPhone 9. Same body, probably same battery, I _think_ it's the same camera... just with an A13 instead of the A11. The price is right for sure.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
My sister and both of my parents prefer phones with four inch screens for whatever reason. They're going to be pissed off in 2023 when they realize they're not available anymore.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It basically looks like a smaller, faster version of the iPhone XR for just $400, That seems like a surprisingly good value for an Apple product. What do you guys think?
Great value IMO, they are even giving some trade-in value for some really old phones (i.e. iPhone 6S) that are arguably worthless.
i figured they'd go with a larger screen and less forehead and chin, though i guess 4.7" allows apple to continue using paid-for screen engineering/manufacturing.
There are some rumors that Apple is prepping another mid-range phone with a more modern 5.x" screen and thin bezels. However, the reason for the new SE is they get to re-use their existing iPhone 8 tooling. To hit the magical $399 price point and have some decent profit margin requires cutting corners.

LOL at everyone still lamenting the total lack of small phone screens. I'm personally not a "phablet" fan, but the new SE is already a rare breed compared to the entire smartphone market. It's very much the last of the "small" phones, even if the chassis itself isn't svelte.