So what's with certain top40 radio stations playing Christian artists??

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
I was driving with my brother last week..and I heard a pretty popular Christian song on the local Top40 station. And you can't interpret that song any other way...the song had clear references to Jesus, worship, hallelujah. You can't mistake this song for anything other than Chrisitan.

Not that I'm complaining..I think it's great that they're playing it...but I was just wondering why. Has anyone noticed this new trend in Top40 music too?

EDIT: oh yea..one thing that does bother me about it though....right after they play this song...they play something completely dirty...like...Chrstina's Dirty song or something. I think that's just a bit riduculous and wrong.

btw, lyrics to the song:

I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me

I can only imagine what it will be like
When I walk by Your side
I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When Your face is before me
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

(Chorus next)
Surrounded by Your glory
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for You Jesus?
Or in awe of You be still?
Will I stand in Your presence?
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah?
Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

I can only imagine when that day comes
And I find myself standing in the Son
I can only imagine when all I will do
Is forever, forever worship You
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

(chorus 2x)(ad-lib)

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever, forever worship You
I can only imagine.

fastz28

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2001
It is a Christian song, a very good one I might add. If this is a trend, I like it.

It's refreshing after the metal '80's and the rap '90's.

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
Has it really? i honestly didn't know that. I was just completely surprised to hear that song on that station b/c i'm so used to hearing it on the Christian station. I had fallen asleep in the car and when I heard it I thought maybe my brother changed the station....until I heard what came after it.

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
but they don't sing Christian music.....their songs can't really be played on Christian radio stations...(for Evanescence...didn't they like ban their music from being sold in Christian stores?)

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: nativesunshine
but they don't sing Christian music.....their songs can't really be played on Christian radio stations...(for Evanescence...didn't they like ban their music from being sold in Christian stores?)

Probably because they dress in black and are therefore evil.

JSClark

Mar 9, 2003
Originally posted by: joshsquall
P.O.D. and Evanescence are both Christian bands.

Whoa, back the train up... Evanescence??? I know P.O.D. are christian, I saw them at the Inside Out Soul Fest a couple years ago up in New Hampshire... not that I'm complaining about Evanescence being christian, but I didn't know that...

Other good bands: Jars of Clay, Relient K, Earthsuit (I think they broke up), and Five Iron Frenzy... they have some really good songs

EDIT: Speaking of IOSF, today is the first day of the 4-day festival, and I was supposed to go... damn financial troubles :(

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
P.O.D is Christian.

IIRC, Evanescence asked that their CDs be pulled from Christian bookstores because they aren't a Christian group. Some songs could be interpreted as such, I suppose..but they aren't 'Christian', if you will.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I keep hearing that Doobie Bros. song on the classic rock station. WTF! ;)
I don't see why the subject matter of the lyrics should have any bearing on "Top 40" music. If it's popular, it's playable.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Stacie Orrico(sp?) is a christian singer as well. I believe has atleast one top 40 hit, maybe two.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
If you are talking about last Sunday's top40 countdown, it is standard practice to play the Top song from other playlists through the program. The song you quoted was/is the top song on the Christian Top40 list.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000

an ex-friend of mine stopped listening to P.O.D just because he found out they were christians
rolleye.gif
...but then he is a bell end....

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Lots of people don't listen to the words any way so as long as it has a good Beat, play it. Maybe they're trying to use it as subliminal messaging to convert everyone to be a christian... heh heh.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: LordJezo

Although they both deny it.

No they don't. POD discusses their Christianity in interviews all the time. Their songs are blatantly Christian. Who do you think they're talking about when they sing:

Now that I know you
I could never turn my back away
And now that I see you
I could never look away
And now that I know you
I could never turn my back away
And now that I see you
I believe no matter what they say

Also, don't forget Creed and Chevelle.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: CadetLee
P.O.D is Christian.

IIRC, Evanescence asked that their CDs be pulled from Christian bookstores because they aren't a Christian group. Some songs could be interpreted as such, I suppose..but they aren't 'Christian', if you will.

Creed was like that as well. They're not Christian either... and Scott Stapp is a doof.

djs1w

Apr 17, 2001
music is music is music. If it's a good song that's worthy of making the top 40 playlists, I don't see why it matters if it's Christian, Muslim, Rap, Ska or whatever.

GeneValgene

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2002

yes, POD are christians, and tehy openly discuss it.

however, evanescence now denies it. they claim that their christianity was just "youthful indiscretion."

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: GeneValgene

yes, POD are christians, and tehy openly discuss it.

however, evanescence now denies it. they claim that their christianity was just "youthful indiscretion."

That's just to increase sales. They don't want people to shun them for being Christian.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Why is it a big deal one way or the other?

I remember Stryper in the 80's... Christian heavy metal. Got played right with Dio and Iron Maiden and Metallica and such.

My wife really enjoys POD and Vertical Horizon and others, but she listens to Alt and Heavy Metal with me too.

I don't care if you're singing about "Stacy's Mom" or God or your pet rock. If the music is good, and I enjoy listening to it, that's all that counts.