So what's a good vacuum?

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I need one that sucks like a champ on hardwood floors mostly..15% carpet.

Something around/less then $100?

We have a small $40 one that finally bust on us after 3 years.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
I had this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Widepat.../dp/B0009ONZ8G

My roommate forgot to put a new bag in it after he threw the old one out though, so it destroyed itself when I tried to use it next :(

It works really well, but I will tell you that the hose on it is pretty short. It has excellent suction. For less than $100, if you can deal with having to bend a little bit to use the hose (I just scooted myself around on the ground with it to avoid back strain), I think you'd be hard pressed to find something better.

Hm... just noticed you said hardwood, I've only used it on carpet

Last edited:

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
I know the haters will hate, but Dyson is the only way to go.

Don't care if it's overpriced, the guy reinvigorated the vacuum industry so I'll give my money to him.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
10^-18 Torr is a pretty good vacuum. You can drive really fast too since you'll only "run into" an oxygen atom every 300 miles. :D

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...W013703220001P
I just bought a hoover windtunnel t series a few months back after reading a lot of reviews. Seemed to be one of the better cheaper vacuums. I have no complaints.

Think I paid $90 for it at Sears during a sale. Also check sear's reman/parts center. They will often have reman/returns there for a good deal.

Last edited:

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
vacuum1.jpg

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
10^-18 Torr is a pretty good vacuum. You can drive really fast too since you'll only "run into" an oxygen atom every 300 miles. :D

No, 10^-18 Torr is an ultrahigh vacuum. He just asked for a good vacuum. :p :D

Ohhhhhhhh, he means "vacuum cleaner!" Hardly a vacuum there... mainly just air flow from the end of the nozzle to an area of lower pressure created by an impeller.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002

The real question is, how flat do your tires have to be, before you drive in to the vacuum chamber?

Skillet49

Aug 3, 2007
If you're going to buy a vacuum, go all out and get a really nice vacuum. Or get a nice vacuum for your carpet and one of those swiffer vacs for your hardwood (my parents have one and really like it. The main level is mostly hardwood at their house). Case in point: My parents have an Electrolux. I cannot remember them not having this vacuum, and I'm 23. When I was fairly young, one of my brothers tried to clean the fish tank with this vacuum (I have no idea what he was thinking). They obviously had to service the vacuum, but it still works after that and all these years.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
The real question is, how flat do your tires have to be, before you drive in to the vacuum chamber?

Flat before evac starts. They should be halfway to sidewall by the time the last stage of the pump shuts down and the coils to the final airlock are de-energized. :D