So what would I need for a blu-ray to play full 1080p on comp?

phexac

Jul 19, 2007
This isn't something I will be doing any time soon, if ever since I have a 47" 1080p HDTV and a PS3, but I am just curious with all the DRM issues with Vista, what would I need to play 1080p media and have it actually show up as 1080p on my screen.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Your current rig in sig would handle it just fine.

What would you need?
A DVI to HDMI cable & audio adaptor cable :)

phexac

Jul 19, 2007
Originally posted by: n7
Your current rig in sig would handle it just fine.

What would you need?
A DVI to HDMI cable & audio adaptor cable :)

That is what I was talking about--the cabling more than the computer specs. Since I know you are supposed to use certain cabling and not other (which is probably the most retarded and restricting scheme ever designed).

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
It seems you are getting upset over nothing more than a misunderstanding, Blu-ray playback from PCs isn't restricted from any particular types of cables.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Yeah, somehow i think you've gotten Vista FUD mixed up with facts.

You can find the cables you'll need anywhere.

If you had an ATi HD series or higher card, you wouldn't even need an audio cable; you could use the provided DVI to HDMI adaptor to get both video & sound to your TV :)

nVidia hasn't done this yet though; not sure if they plan to or not, but it'd be nice IMO.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Your rig will handle it just fine. Only thing is that the GTS 320MB has the older PureVideo processor so it won't help nearly as much as the UVD in the HD3xxx line or the upcoming PureVideo HD2 in say the G98-based 8400GS.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
It seems you are getting upset over nothing more than a misunderstanding, Blu-ray playback from PCs isn't restricted from any particular types of cables.

I thought every part of the system from player to monitor had to have HDCP to guarantee future compatibility. Here's from wikipedia.
Content providers for HD DVD and Blu-ray media can set an Image Constraint Token (ICT) flag that will only output full-resolution digital signals using a digital HDCP connection....
If using a non-HDCP-compliant DVI connection (with an HDMI-to-DVI cable), the user will not get any picture at all.

TheOtherRizzo

Jun 4, 2007
You're good for CPU decoding, wrong card for GPU decoding. This means good for progressive content and bad for interlaced content, as you need GPU decoding to get GPU deinterlacing.

And there are no "Vista DRM issues", that was just a load of FUD from people who don't understand what HDCP is.

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
As I have understood, your video card doesn't offer dual-link HDCP decryption, and therefore will not produce 1080p on your computer monitor from HDCP-compliant discs.

madh83

Jan 14, 2007
You actually do need to have compliant cables, because eventually they'll only release blu-rays that will play 1080p over equipment that's HDCP compliant. HDMI cables should all be compliant, I think you need to check on dvi to hdmi cables because some are and some are not. Personally, I buy cables from monoprice.com

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
I thought every part of the system from player to monitor had to have HDCP to guarantee future compatibility.
Someday, disks will likely use the ICT flag to require downsampling to 960x540 before outputing over an analog connection, but that isn't an issue until disks start using it, the movies avalable now aren't bound by any such restriction.
Originally posted by: Slugbait
As I have understood, your video card doesn't offer dual-link HDCP decryption, and therefore will not produce 1080p on your computer monitor from HDCP-compliant discs.
All commercial Blu-ray and HD DVD disks require HDCP for digital video connections, you won't get any video at all if your videocard or monitor does not support HDCP. However, decryption is handled by the monitor while the videocard handles the encryption, and 1080p only requires a single link connection anyway.
Originally posted by: madh83
You actually do need to have compliant cables, because eventually they'll only release blu-rays that will play 1080p over equipment that's HDCP compliant. HDMI cables should all be compliant, I think you need to check on dvi to hdmi cables because some are and some are not. Personally, I buy cables from monoprice.com
There is no such thing as digital video cables that don't support HDCP, any DVI to HDMI cable will work as long as both the videocard and the display support HDCP. But yeah, monoprice sells nice cables at great prices.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
the gpu accelartion requires you to jump through so many HIDDEN hoops that the vast majority of people will never actually utlize it even if they DO own a UVD card...
99% chance all your decoding is done by the CPU.. which is FINE since your CPU is fast enough to do that. It is not like you actually get TOLD if the CPU or GPU decodes it... it will use GPU decoding if it can, and CPU if it can't... you wouldn't know unless you CPU is too slow and you are noticing stuttering while playing.

you do need both the video card and monitor to support HDCP.
The best cable to use is a standard DVI cable if your monitor/TV takes DVI input, many do.