So what would have Gore done different?

JTech007

Oct 9, 2003
I love the spirited debates that sometimes appear in threads from time to time here.

Of course GWB and the war are the hot topics of current debate so I thought it might be interesting for those who voted for Gore in 2000 or still remember what his platform was to enlighten the rest of us as to what he might have done better/worse/or about the same with the events and news that has changed our country in the past 3-1/2 years?

Please, if you do make a statement try to back it with some fact's other than just writing "He would have not gone to war with Iraq".

I am curious to see how Gore's views would have been different to make the USA better, given the events since the election!

:)

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
The big thing he would have done differently is not attack a country NOT connected with the terror attack on the U.S. He would have focused on Afghanistan and hunting down al Quada, rather than creating an all-new breeding ground for them.
Bush's primary reason for taking Saddam out was the attempt on his Dad's life. Remove the personal portion -and the fact that Bush appears to possess a 75 IQ- and voila! No war with Iraq!
He would have not given tax cuts to wealthiest Americans. I base that on that fact that he's a Liberal. ;)
Other than that, he would not have been able to get any decent domestic agenda through due to the Republican controlled Congress....

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
I agree. He would not be side tracked in Iraq. We would have a broad coalition of countries working with us. This coalition would include most Middle Eastern countries. We would have bin Laden already. America would be safer.

Environmental protections would still be in place. Business would whine about how the protections were killing them, then adapt and continue making gobs of money. We would not be running a $500 B budget deficit. No Child Left behind would be funded. So would first responders.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Ldir
I agree. He would not be side tracked in Iraq. We would have a broad coalition of countries working with us. This coalition would include most Middle Eastern countries. We would have bin Laden already. America would be safer.

Environmental protections would still be in place. Business would whine about how the protections were killing them, then adapt and continue making gobs of money. We would not be running a $500 B budget deficit. No Child Left behind would be funded. So would first responders.

which mid-eastern countries?

KK

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Realile that he was not a shoe in for the presidency.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Ldir: HA!

We'd still be telling Afghanistan "You better turn over Bin Laden, or I'll send over some blue-helmets to get him!"

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It's hard to say what he would have done, but he could have..

Continued to contain Saddam as we have been.

Could have stepped up inspections with force if needed.

Made all of Iraq a military no fly zone.

Change the oil program by providing services and goods to the public without sending in cash to Saddam. Sanctions could have been handled smarter.

Saddam was impotent, and although he would rail against it, he would do what we say if we put it to him. We could have (and should have) provided sanctuary to those who helped us with inspections. That means their families too.

He could have passed on the Axis speech and realized that 9/11 was more than a tradgedy. It was an opportunity as well. We could have taken that moment, and reached out to Iran etc, since they had been making overtures to us anyway.

He could have realized that instead of "If you are not for us you are against us" it should have been "if you are not against us we aren't against you, and further if you are for us, we will work with you".

Lots of other things, but this is really a list of what I would have done. I cannot say what Gore would have done, and Kerry would do, but they are smarter than Bush for all their faults, and know that war is a bad thing even if you must participate in one.

I think Gore would have understood that wanting to be "the war president" is a shameful thing.

Enough for now.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: JTech007
Please, if you do make a statement try to back it with some fact's other than just writing "He would have not gone to war with Iraq".

:)

Umm... how can we provide facts to backup a hypothetical scenario?

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I read an essay in Prospect a while back (its not off limits to non subscribers, so no links) that dealt with what Gore wold have done foreign policy wise.

The main points were that he was a hawk on Iraq during the Clinton admin (remember who his running mate was?) but that he did not have the radical ideas of Bush. So they speculated that he would have pursed bin Laden and al qaeda diligently and with wide international support, while at the same time gradually workign towards a broad international coalition against Iraq. They concluded that the Iraq war would ahve most likely happened around 2006-2007 after long negotiations (with allies) and lots of tough talk at teh UN/lots of UN resolutions, however with broad international support.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
who knows if Gore would've done something differently. but we know one thing for sure, what bush has done sucked and he needs to take responsibility for it.

ECUHITMAN

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
I read an essay in Prospect a while back (its not off limits to non subscribers, so no links) that dealt with what Gore wold have done foreign policy wise.

The main points were that he was a hawk on Iraq during the Clinton admin (remember who his running mate was?) but that he did not have the radical ideas of Bush. So they speculated that he would have pursed bin Laden and al qaeda diligently and with wide international support, while at the same time gradually workign towards a broad international coalition against Iraq. They concluded that the Iraq war would ahve most likely happened around 2006-2007 after long negotiations (with allies) and lots of tough talk at teh UN/lots of UN resolutions, however with broad international support.

Aggreed with what Marty posted

Put it this way, as far as doing things along party lines, obviously he would not have tried for the tax cut, and would not have passed bills that could jeopardize the environment (i.e. he would have been a democrat when it comes to domestic issues). I do believe, however, he would have done most of what bush did with reguards to "homeland security" and going into Afghanistan. Look, I know democrats usually try to talk and use diplomacy to solve things, BUT 9/11 was a little different. Most democrats wanted to kick some a$$.

Iraq is a different situation, he would have used more talks and more diplomacy then GWB did, but I feel if there was actual evidence that WMD's were there and Saddam was a growing threat, he would have acted. He would have to, the country would demand it.

Then again, this is what I would have done...so maybe Gore would have done something weaker or stronger I guess it just depends on what kind of intel he got.

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
Originally posted by: rchiu
who knows if Gore would've done something differently. but we know one thing for sure, what bush has done sucked and he needs to take responsibility for it.

i agree whole heartedly and more.. yea but we as a citizen of the america has to suffer the most financially and emotionally due to a huge debt from bush admistration that are affecting everyone. most people lost confident in everything including their life, and work because they are very hard to come by these day. everything now is next to hopeless. we need someone who makes very good speeches like b.clinton and give everyone a high hope through encouragement but we see none so far. responsibility is what bush boy lacks the most, he seems to not care at all and treat life like as if it was a joke. hell, even al gore has a much higher IQ then little bush but that's not just the problem, he cannot be trusted at all, and no one should take him seriously. i'm not anti bush to begin with but since his election, things have gone seriously wrong. some thought it was funny with the way he ran the country and people have only began to wake up to this nightmare, realizing that their life have all of a sudden gotten worse. something must be done for things to get any better. we must get our acts together to make things right again from many things that had gone wrong so far.

MonkeyK

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
A more interesting question would be what would Reagan or Bush Sr. have done different?

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Gore would have tried to negotiate with bin Laden trying to find out why he attacked us and what we can do to better accomidate him in this world. More attacks would have happened because the terrorists would precieve the US to be all talk and no action, and thus have no fear of retribution and continue to strategically eliminate their targets. Eventually, Gore would get the boot during the next election because the public is getting angry at all the talk, and obvious lack of action.

Seems to me like it would be the exact opposite of the current administration.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: RobCur
Originally posted by: rchiu

i agree whole heartedly and more.. yea but we as a citizen of the america has to suffer the most financially and emotionally due to a huge debt from bush admistration that are affecting everyone. most people lost confident in everything including their life, and work because they are very hard to come by these day. everything now is next to hopeless. we need someone who makes very good speeches like b.clinton and give everyone a high hope through encouragement but we see none so far. responsibility is what bush boy lacks the most, he seems to not care at all and treat life like as if it was a joke. hell, even al gore has a much higher IQ then little bush but that's not just the problem, he cannot be trusted at all, and no one should take him seriously. i'm not anti bush to begin with but since his election, things have gone seriously wrong. some thought it was funny with the way he ran the country and people have only began to wake up to this nightmare, realizing that their life have all of a sudden gotten worse. something must be done for things to get any better. we must get our acts together to make things right again from many things that had gone wrong so far.

That's pretty doom and gloom there. You should kill yourself. :) Seriously though, do you really need the president to make feel all cozy inside. I sure as hell don't need the any president to lift my spirits, my family does that. Then again I not a negative person like all you democrats out there. Good luck. I hope you make it.

KK

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
I sure as hell don't need the any president to lift my spirits, my family does that

Good thing you don't live in Iraq. Your family might get blown up right ion front of you. How would you feel about that?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: arsbanned
I sure as hell don't need the any president to lift my spirits, my family does that

Good thing you don't live in Iraq. Your family might get blown up right ion front of you. How would you feel about that?

If I lived over there being muslim, I'd have 15 different families, so what's one going to hurt. :)

KK

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
A question to those who say Gore would have negotiated or something along those silly lines. Are you trying (and failing) to be funny, or are you retarded?

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: KK
Originally posted by: arsbanned

If I lived over there being muslim, I'd have 15 different families, so what's one going to hurt. :)

KK

hahahahahaha.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
It's hard to say what he would have done, but he could have..

Continued to contain Saddam as we have been.

Could have stepped up inspections with force if needed.

Made all of Iraq a military no fly zone.

Change the oil program by providing services and goods to the public without sending in cash to Saddam. Sanctions could have been handled smarter.

Saddam was impotent, and although he would rail against it, he would do what we say if we put it to him. We could have (and should have) provided sanctuary to those who helped us with inspections. That means their families too.

He could have passed on the Axis speech and realized that 9/11 was more than a tradgedy. It was an opportunity as well. We could have taken that moment, and reached out to Iran etc, since they had been making overtures to us anyway.

He could have realized that instead of "If you are not for us you are against us" it should have been "if you are not against us we aren't against you, and further if you are for us, we will work with you".

Lots of other things, but this is really a list of what I would have done. I cannot say what Gore would have done, and Kerry would do, but they are smarter than Bush for all their faults, and know that war is a bad thing even if you must participate in one.

I think Gore would have understood that wanting to be "the war president" is a shameful thing.

Enough for now.

The Clinton admin was increasing the regime change rethoric throughout the last two years(1998-2000), so no one can say for sure what Gore would have done hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20.