So what Monitor do I buy?

scaramoosh

May 4, 2012
I have £1000 to buy a new Monitor, I tried going the route of a 55 inch 4K tv but the latency was too much for the mouse. You could whack it in game mode but it ruined the picture quality so much and introduced this weird flickering.

I was looking forward to LG's ultra fine 5k display, but sadly the specs are now confirmed and you won't be able to USB-c it into your Windows PC. They have a 4K Monitor coming out but I'm not sure as it's 16:9 and I don't find that aspec ratio to be great for Windows, I much prefer 16:10 so the bar at the bottom sit in that extra space nicely.

I've been looking at 21:9 monitors but they always have a lower resolution and ppl which annoys me. I want something that's 200ppi or more, after looking at my iMac and iPad Pro 12.9, I just cannot look at lower ppi screens any more.

If that lg worked with Windows and accepted a hdmi adapter for a PS4, I'd be all over it... but now I'm jus wondering what are my options?

Also I don't care about all the 144hrz gimmicks and othe gaming branded crap, I don't want a Monitor that's a plastic kids toy either, the thing needs to look like an Apple product... by that I mean nice and not plastic as us tat.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
144hz is not a gimmick whatsoever. It's no more of a gimmick than 4k is. If you do any gaming, it's immediately apparent how much smoother high refresh rate is. So don't judge things you haven't seen yourself.

Are you gaming on this? Photoshop? What's the use

scaramoosh

May 4, 2012
144hz is not a gimmick whatsoever. It's no more of a gimmick than 4k is. If you do any gaming, it's immediately apparent how much smoother high refresh rate is. So don't judge things you haven't seen yourself.

Are you gaming on this? Photoshop? What's the use

I've seen my friends Asus 144hrz whatever it is and the picture quality looks like complete crap compared to my Mac. I cannot see a difference between 60hrz or 144.... it's a big gimmick and tbh latency and motion handling are far more important. That's another thing with his monitor, it had this mad ghosting like big white looking trails, my monitor doesn't do that and it's 60hrz. Plus the back light was shit and all over the place...

My use it is needs to hold up to an iMac, it needs to be colour accurate and as pixel dense or it annoys me. It also needs a consistent back light, if it's off then I'll notice it and it'll annoy me. It also needs a no dead pixel policy, I've been shafted in the past where even the shop wouldn't exchange it within 30 days, never buying from Overclockers again that's for sure.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HKN62B/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display

I was interested in that one, but I'm not sure if you can Thunderbolt 3 to a Mini Display port. I thought maybe you could USB-C to HDMI but I heard there is no Video into the monitor via USB-C which sucks.

I then saw this... http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2016/12/lgs-newest-most-exciting-4k-hdr-monitors-coming-to-ces-2017/

But I'm not sure, 16:9 is not an aspect ratio I like.

Last edited:

Skyzoomer

Sep 27, 2007
They have a 4K Monitor coming out but I'm not sure as it's 16:9 and I don't find that aspec ratio to be great for Windows, I much prefer 16:10 so the bar at the bottom sit in that extra space nicely.

I used to think the same way. I much preferred 16:10 aspect for my PC monitor. But when I got my 27", 2560 x 1440, 16:9 aspect monitor, I positioned the Windows taskbar on the right side and haven't looked back. The 27" gives me the vertical height I want. Positioning the taskbar on the right side maximizes the vertical height even more.

There are other pluses for having the Windows taskbar on the right side.
When quick launch icons and opened program icons over fill the taskbar, a double headed arrow appears allowing to see all of the icons available. Also, if the taskbar is dragged wider, the time, day of the week and date can be always displayed. A wider taskbar on the right side is hardly a handicap compared to a wider taskbar at the bottom.

When using Photoshop or Lightroom, the 16:9 aspect allows more room horizontally for the toolbar, palettes or adjustment panels and allows more space for the image being edited. Also helps with editing in Sony Movie Studio. And using Excel spreadsheets, the wider aspect allows seeing more data on the screen with less scrolling.

There is a pro for the 16:10 aspect for 24" screens though. The vertical height of a 24" screen in the 16:10 aspect is almost the same as the vertical height of a 27" screen in the 16:9 aspect. So for web browsing and word processing, having a 24", 16:10 aspect monitor gives about the same experience as a 27", 16:9 aspect monitor.

Maybe reconsider using a 16:9 aspect monitor. I now much prefer that aspect over the 16:10 aspect, provided that the screen size is 27" or larger.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I've seen my friends Asus 144hrz whatever it is and the picture quality looks like complete crap compared to my Mac. I cannot see a difference between 60hrz or 144.... it's a big gimmick and tbh latency and motion handling are far more important. That's another thing with his monitor, it had this mad ghosting like big white looking trails, my monitor doesn't do that and it's 60hrz. Plus the back light was shit and all over the place...

My use it is needs to hold up to an iMac, it needs to be colour accurate and as pixel dense or it annoys me. It also needs a consistent back light, if it's off then I'll notice it and it'll annoy me. It also needs a no dead pixel policy, I've been shafted in the past where even the shop wouldn't exchange it within 30 days, never buying from Overclockers again that's for sure.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HKN62B/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display

I was interested in that one, but I'm not sure if you can Thunderbolt 3 to a Mini Display port. I thought maybe you could USB-C to HDMI but I heard there is no Video into the monitor via USB-C which sucks.

I then saw this... http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2016/12/lgs-newest-most-exciting-4k-hdr-monitors-coming-to-ces-2017/

But I'm not sure, 16:9 is not an aspect ratio I like.

It just isn't a gimmick for most types of gaming dude. High refresh = better motion handling by definition, though it is not the only factor it is the biggest factor. You just haven't had the right experience to understand it yet and you may not have seen the best monitor. Seeing something in passing doesn't really drive it home. It's obviously not going to do anything for photoshop or web browsing or multimedia content that isn't 120fps, I still don't know what you plan on doing with this monitor. But make no mistake, high refresh rate is very noticeable in any action gaming.

Ghosting wise take a look at TFTCentral.co.uk, they have great tests on everything you could think about for a monitor. Including a lot of ghosting tests. They also test color gamut, contrast, etc. All the good stuff.

If you're doing photo/video work and office work you won't need high refresh rate anyways, so you'd want to look at primarily IPS and VA type monitors. IPS if you prefer slightly more accurate colors at the expense of contrast, and VA if you prefer better contrast at the expense of slightly worse colors and slightly worse off-angle viewing. IPS will have better motion clarity, e.g. less ghosting, than VA by a bit too. TN panels have very low ghosting but poor off angle viewing and generally poor color reproduction with medium contrast.