so, what is/was the worst production car

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Man I scrolled farther down and see someone beat me to pointing out the GLH... well good job hehe ;) Awesome car and if I wasnt 6'3" I'd want one....

I will try again to lay the smack down on mad indian on the K-car. That just happens to be the car that saved Chrysler from bankruptcy in the 80's and was the chassis that all fwd chryco cars from about 84-93 except the omni were based on. Even the daytona that wailed on the camaro's and mustangs of that era was based on a K chassis with a different body, and some different sway bars :) The 10 second K-Car (Relentless) Who thinks lozer would be a good race for this car? hehe

Warrenton

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
Pontiac Anything made before 1994

I had an '87 Grand Am that literally tore itself appart. The timing chain broke, which threw the engine way off and as a result it screwed the tranny which tore the entire engine loose from the mounts.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
redly 1,

The Fiero was actually made from the components of Citations, not chevettes, either way all three cars were pieces of crap.

Soybomb,

The K-Car did not save Chrysler from bankruptcy, it was the American taxpayer who did. If the US Government would not have bailed Chrysler out of trouble with your and my money they would have gone under, as well they should have...they still build crap with a facelift!

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Renault Daulphine (SP?)

I watched one actually vibrate it's carburator apart at idle.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Renault has made some awesome crap...just crap though no redeeming value other than to laugh at :)

Ronstang, I dont wanna burst your bubble but I happen to think Chryco's the best american manufacturer of cars we have. The designs are truly innovative and often copied (Ram ring a bell?) Its not at all uncommon for them to have a couple of the ten best cars either. All their new products lately have been pretty good successes too. The neon and ram both were there years ago and sold really well, still do. Then there is the viper, and prowler for some nice image cars (does ford have anything close to either of those....) The PT Crusier is stll hard to get because so many people want them. In a couple years there will be a turbo charged pt cruiser and looking at past chrysler turbo cars, I'll bet its gonna haul.... I'm willing to be the new charger with the Hemi is gonna have brisk sales as well. Jeep sales seem pretty good as well. So you may look at is crap with a facelift, but I'll say its the best you can buy made in this country.

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
CORVAIR (1961 to 1969)

Nadar was right! Dangerous at any speed! A big oil leaker with those funny push rod tubes too!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
hehe...guess I ruffled a few feathers with my statement..

Well I'm talking about the K-car that was a station wagon. I think its the Chrysler Reliant? It broke down too many damn times on the highway!! It was our family's first car in Canada..and was our last Domestic car also. We've had a lot of bad experience with that wagon...we only owned it for 6 months. However we did buy it used so maybe the previous owner did not take care of it.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
ronstang- chrysler had to pay that money back. with the money that they made off the minivan, which was a k-car platform vehicle. they paid it ahead of schedule too. don't think that somehow the gov't lost money on it because they didn't.

wangel- the corvair really only had that problem its first year. of course, if anyone knew the proper way to drive, it probably wouldn't have been a problem to begin with. by the later years it had gotten an independent rear and was actually a pretty easy drive, especially in comparison to other rear engine designs. the entire study was funded by ford to begin with. guess nader has always been a tool.

i was behind a pinto the other day. i kept a good distance away from it just incase the car behind me decided to run into me and i get pushed into the back of the pinto. would not have been pretty if that had happened... could you imagine what would happen to the 3 beer kegs i had in the back if they had been caught in a pinto's fireball?

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< It broke down too many damn times on the highway!! >>

And you said this was a Reliant? How ironic =P

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
That's what I was thinking...Reliant ain't Reliant! <ok so that was a dumb attempt at a one-liner>