So, what is the best 1911 handgun?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I bought a Springfield Armory TRP yesterday. I can pick it up on the 19th. They had Kimber and SIG-Sauer 1911s but the guy spoke very highly of the Springfields so I went with one of those. It has the custom trigger, beaver tail grip safety and checkered front strap and mainspring housing. I went with the parkerized finish.

Can’t wait to poke some holes in paper targets with it.

I also bought a bigger gun safe as the one I have is getting pretty tight on space.

Excellent choice. I also looked at that model, but chose the Range Officer Champion instead for CC purposes. The parkerized finish is much better also, traditional for the 1911.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Excellent choice. I also looked at that model, but chose the Range Officer Champion instead for CC purposes. The parkerized finish is much better also, traditional for the 1911.

Thanks man. I wanted the traditional look and I already have a stainless Officers model Colt... not that one could obtain a CC permit here anyway.

Next time I go to the range I’m taking this gun and my SIG P220 to do a little comparison between the two guns. Maybe I’ll post my observations after. I’ve put probably 600 rounds through the SIG and never had any trouble with it. I’m hoping the SA is just as good. I’m sure my son will join me, I’ll see what his opinion is on both of them as well.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I bought a Springfield Armory TRP yesterday. I can pick it up on the 19th. They had Kimber and SIG-Sauer 1911s but the guy spoke very highly of the Springfields so I went with one of those. It has the custom trigger, beaver tail grip safety and checkered front strap and mainspring housing. I went with the parkerized finish.

My TRP is almost 20 years old, currently the only 1911 I own. I've always considered it my favorite sidearm, it has never let me down no matter what ammo I run in it and puts holes exactly where I want them. Probably the most accurate .45 I've ever used come to think of it (trigger at about 3lbs). Eats hardball and 185grain +P loads with equal ease, with both Wilson and McCormick mags.

Nice safe too. Bigger is better, always, and they will probably do more for your family's safety then the guns it will contain. Armed assailants are rare, but curious/stupid kids are everywhere (no offense, I say that as a father myself).

Good call Jules, I don't think you'll regret it. People are going to try to get you to sell it to them, happens with me all the time, just say No! ;)

Last edited:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
A determined thief can always steal firearms if they want. The point is to make it less attractive to them as most thieves aren't specifically targeting something (unless they know what you have) and are rather opportunistic (quick buck). A safe that is properly bolted is loads better than a locker in this regard. Any locker can be pried or easily cut open in a matter of minutes while a safe will normally need power tools. If the safe isn't bolted then yes, it's no better than keeping your guns out in full view - actually better for a thief who could quickly dolly it or pick it up with two people.
And speaking of that ... my Q is on gun safes vs. secure lockers. Is it the idea of thievery over fire loss that is most important? I ask about this, because anything worth of value I do not really keep in the home, but a safe deposit box. Not that SDB's are that much more safe from theft, but in my neck of the woods the law enforcement is indifferent when it comes to firearm theft and nothing I own personally has a value that would substantiate the need for a fire-rated safe that can honestly deliver on its marketing. Of course then also needs to be mentioned that in addition to secure lockers that not all safes are created equally, because there are safes for safety against theft and then there are safes for theft & fire protection.

I just remember that two of my friends that seemed to have moved three times collectively in the past decade bitching about the PITA safe having to be moved.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I have a springfield trophy match and a springfield mil-spec. TM is higher end and I like it a lot more.
I also have a custom 1911 I helped build with my uncle.

my dad has a springfield range officer.
Dan Wesson, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, and Ed Brown are probably top of the line. you'll also pay top of the line prices too.

ra1nman

Dec 9, 2007
I've been toying with the idea of owning a 1911 and have been considering a DW Razerback or a Delta Elite in 10mm. I have a few CZ in 9mm so looking for something in a different caliber.