So what if hospitals can turn away people that cant pay?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
I've been to Burma btw and using that as an example is horrible. I saw people there without eyeballs.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
What constitutes a real emergency? Snotty nosed kids with a cold
Could be the flu, or pneumonia.
a case of constipation
OK, that one's probably not an emergency.
a minor cut
Could lead to sepsis, or get infected with flesh-eating bacteria.
bee sting
We've been over that.
mommy I have a tummy ache
Could be appendicitis.

So, I think all of these except maybe constipation could be a real emergency.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
why would 10% of the state's hospitals close within 10 years because of Obamacare??

wasnt obamacare created so that hospitals get paid for all those poor that flood the emergency rooms? (and the fed govt paying the heath insurance premiums of those poor.)

You guys really have no idea how healthcare works.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
That sounds very convincing and logical, but is it supported by the facts? The CDC states that in the 1970's the average stay for a mother during birth was 4 days, by the 1990's it was 2 days So it seems like we're actually consuming less health care now then we did in the past!

This isn't really all sunshine and roses. The insurance companies don't want to pay for the bed for 4 days. Its not like people heal any faster.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Let's free market everything from the military to the police to the post office, it's not like corruption and nepotism is gonna happen anyway right since economics say its the most efficient system.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
why would 10% of the state's hospitals close within 10 years because of Obamacare??

wasnt obamacare created so that hospitals get paid for all those poor that flood the emergency rooms? (and the fed govt paying the heath insurance premiums of those poor.)

Government payment is why hospitals are failing now. The time, effort and fight to receive money takes months and even years in some circumstances.