So, what has Obama done in a year?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well, I already debated the stimulus bill upthread. I hardly call a $750 billion economic stimulus bill doing nothing about the economy, whether you agree with it or not.

One thing I am curious about, what exactly do people think Obama should be doing about the economy that he hasn't done? I keep hearing that using government to fix the economy, or to do anything really, is a bad idea. Then I hear that Obama and Congress should be "focusing on fixing the economy." What does that mean? Tax cuts? A third of the stimulus bill was tax cuts. Should we have more?

Edit: I will add another obvious thing: the TARP. While the TARP started under Bush, Obama's Treasury had jurisdiction over the remaining funds when he took office, and it was in his discretion to end it and not pay any more out. It was a politically difficult decision for him to continue TARP, as it is very unpopular and undoubdtedly it has cost him approval points in the poll. So I think that continuing TARP is an accomplishment whether you agree with TARP or not, because it wasn't a simple or easy decision to continue it under the circumstances. If it had been a popular program, then it would have been a no-brainer to continue what Bush and the prior Congress had started, and then he wouldn't really deserve credit, but that wasn't the case.

- wolf

If his contiuing it at political cost was for the right reasons, I agree.

If his continuing it at political cost was for the wrong reasons - part of Wall Street's theft - it's not ot his credit. Quite the opposite. It's hard to tell which is the case sometimes.

Where are the prosecutions? The executive branch investigations?

Three of the choices: Obama is doing the right thing; Obama is behaving in a corrupt manner; Obama has few choices because of economic blackmail and other pressures.

I strongly support Obama over any of the Republic candidates the last election or any national Republican figures now. though. It's important to note that, as you do.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Well, he did accomplish one thing for sure... he managed to make me completely regret voting for him.

oh, and he also eroded the last bit of "hope" I had in our cesspool of Federal politicians.

so there ya go... two things.

joy.
Well I don't regret voting for him as the alternative would have been worse.

It seems to me that he's under the mistaken impression that Americans want him to revamp everything when in truth what we want is to unfuck everything the Republicans did over the last 8 years. Hopefully he'll get the message delivered by the voters of MA.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I can say proudly that I didn't vote for either SOB. It wasn't worth my gas money.