So what does HR actually do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Section8
Gibson asked a question and I wonder if anyone who answered is in HR. I have some questions.

Does your company provide insurance (health and life)?

Workers compensation?

Retirement/401k?

Is there a labor union where you work?

Are you covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act?

Payroll/pay administration/overtime?

Do you receive awards or bonus?

Are good workers retained while those failing to meet performance expectations are not?

Is pay commensurate with experience (equal pay for equal work)?

Are job descriptions in place and are they accurate?

Has your company ever been sued by employees or x-employees?

Has anyone ever died where you work?

Do you receive training?

This is some of what HR (at least where I work) contends with.

I know who does this!!! HR!!!!

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: So
They mine people and sell organs on the commodities market. Why do you think it's "human resources"?

They wouldn't be called "human resources" if they weren't meant to be strip-mined.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
My HR department ignores complaints about douchebag IT people who run around the call floor pretending they're management and bossing floor workers around "Dont touch the blinds! You cant stand there! I'm an angry nerd on a power trip!"

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Originally posted by: BigJ
Jack shit as far as I'm concerned.

They're responsible for the schedule being up 10 days from the start of the work week. We're lucky if it's two.

They're in charge of training. I'm still waiting on them to get me a booklet on training that was due almost a half year ago.

They're supposed to create the illusion of a liason between corporate and the workers. My HR will cut your throat while you're saving a baby from a burning building if it's for corporate.

my papers were messed up, they claimed I didn't pay... I was furious. even though I though I lost my receipt which I didn't realize would cause so much trouble for a company that "seemed" very professional, I gave them my social and everything, and their systems said my stuff din' go through.

I stopped counting the number of times I called and showed up face to face with the people there. man, I am not satisfied with the service and consider never going there ever again. if you can convince me otherwise I could change my mind. good luck HR employees and managers!

gg

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Raduque
My HR department ignores complaints about douchebag IT people who run around the call floor pretending they're management and bossing floor workers around "Dont touch the blinds! You cant stand there! I'm an angry nerd on a power trip!"

wow! why do you work in such an insane place?

IBuyUFO

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Gibson486
I mean aside from hiring people, what do they do?

At my company it seems they absolutely do nothing for you. Case in point when our company had its 5th year birthday, HR planned this party for this ocassion. They said there would be lots of entertainment, prizes, and lots of food. The day comes and we get catered food that was 1) not really good, 2) food turned out to be more like apetizers, and 3) ran out of food. In addition, the prizes were crappy stuff with company logo that I would not even buy.
And don't get me started about the Christmas parties they've planned for the company. A lot of people didn't want to go and at one point only 20 people showed up for the event. The year after the "fiasco" from HR people still would not want to go. HR had to ask the directors of the groups to "encourage" people to attend.
But aside from the events when you need help from HR they take their sweet time getting back to you. If I worked in HR I would probably do a better job.