So what does HR actually do?

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
there's lots of stuff..

recruiting new talent, benefits administration, time keeping, payroll, Organizational management, and on and on.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Not much at the company I work for. Someone took the HR Policy Manual up to show them tha something wasn't being done correctly and such. He was told "They're more like guidelines than actual rules". But then when something else came up, of course they referred to the Policy Manual and said that that's the official word.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
working for the best interest of the company. If you file a complaint they document it and see if it will reflect negatively on the company. If it does, they put together a case to fire you.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
They mine people and sell organs on the commodities market. Why do you think it's "human resources"?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
They give you runs once the ball goes over the fence, depending on how many runners were on base.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
They have lots and lots of fun.

Their offices are right across the hall from mine and when they are actually in their offices, they laugh and laugh and laugh. It's like there's a constant party going on over there. I'm not kidding.

People in the facility are poking their noses into our office all day long looking for HR people because they're never around. You'd think they'd leave at least one of themselves behind to be available for people, but no, that's not the case.

This is one of many changes I'd make around here, but alas, nobody is interested in my thoughts. Sigh. :confused:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^ same here. I think they hold office hours on every-other odd day of the month, usually from 11am-2ish. there is a telephone next to the perpetually locked front office door for you to call someone who gives a damn.

they are currntly giving my boss hell right now, though...based on another employee. which is actually a good thing.

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
My HR guy really pissed me off, I seriously considering reporting him to the regional HR guy. :|

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Jack shit as far as I'm concerned.

They're responsible for the schedule being up 10 days from the start of the work week. We're lucky if it's two.

They're in charge of training. I'm still waiting on them to get me a booklet on training that was due almost a half year ago.

They're supposed to create the illusion of a liason between corporate and the workers. My HR will cut your throat while you're saving a baby from a burning building if it's for corporate.

imported_Section8

Aug 1, 2006
Gibson asked a question and I wonder if anyone who answered is in HR. I have some questions.

Does your company provide insurance (health and life)?

Workers compensation?

Retirement/401k?

Is there a labor union where you work?

Are you covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act?

Payroll/pay administration/overtime?

Do you receive awards or bonus?

Are good workers retained while those failing to meet performance expectations are not?

Is pay commensurate with experience (equal pay for equal work)?

Are job descriptions in place and are they accurate?

Has your company ever been sued by employees or x-employees?

Has anyone ever died where you work?

Do you receive training?

This is some of what HR (at least where I work) contends with.

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
they also show funny videos about sexual harasment in the work place, and how to not saying things that can hurt or offend others.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: DarkManX
they also show funny videos about sexual harasment in the work place, and how to not saying things that can hurt or offend others.

lol my boss told someone he was gonna cut their balls off today on the phone

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Let's see....today I spent the morning dealing with an angry new-hire who claims she was told by her supervisor that she'd be receiving a raise...when she was denied she went all the way up to our President/CEO. And now I have the joy to deal with it.

Yesterday I administered 2 FMLA claims and 1 Worker's comp claim. I interviewed two people for a driving job. I ran three background checks on prospective hires. I administered a hire packet to a new ft hire.

Oh...and today we issued a psuedo "COLA" to all employees hired prior to 10/1/07...and for the, oh I don't know, half of our workforce who doesn't bother to check their email, I'm getting bombarded by calls asking why their wage is higher.

So yeah...HR doesn't really "do much".

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I had a complaint once on a contractor that was harassing people in our dept, and his company didn't care. I filed a report with HR and never heard back. I called them and left messages, and they never returned them.