So what constitutes business attire?

darkshadow1

Nov 2, 2000
Hmm...so I'm starting a new job for a city in San Diego (heh)...and they said business attire. Now, seeing as the only jobs I've had required either really casual or business casual dress, I'm just wondering what business attire is...is it like a dress shirt + tie + slacks or do I need the jacket added to that? Thanks! :)

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
It really depends on your industry - fields like law and government are a lot more 'dressed up' than IT, for example (ever seen 'casual day' in a Federal court? Didn't think so. Maybe 'orange jumpsuit day', but not 'casual day'). The best advice is to overdress - slacks + dress shirt + tie + jacket - and if you can always take the jacket off or whatever.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Business dress usually refers to shirt and tie. Jacket is optional in my experience, but you'd best wear one the first day just to make sure. Your best bet is to wear a suit the first day, and you can always remove the jacket if it's not required. You do own a suit, don't you? :D

Better to be overdressed than underdressed. Always.

darkshadow1

Nov 2, 2000
Hehe yeah I do...just wondering how much shoppin' for new dress shirts and ties I'll have to do...I was just hoping to not have to buy multiple suits... :)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Not to resurrect a dead thread or anything, but it never fails that when you complete a nice wardrobe for business attire, your company will switch to business casual. Then back again.

Seriously, I worked at one company that was BC, and I finally just went out and bought a bunch of nice polo shirts (Nautica, Claiborne, Ralph Lauren). Within two weeks, they announced that the office was going business.

Then, I went to a company that had business attire, and I decided to go ahead and fill out that portion of my wardrobe. Bought ten dress shirts and about the same number of ties. Sure enough, they then announced business casual. At least most of the shirts I had from the previous purchases were still viable. I occasionally wore ties anyway just because I had them.

What a pain. :)

Now, I wear Air Force blue, and there's no danger of that being changed. ;)