So, what are we playing right now?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm curious what PC games people are playing right now.

Right now, I'm kinda waiting for something new and cool to come out. Cyberpunk 2077 looks interesting, but I have a curious 7-year-old and that game seems to have really rough language. I doubt that I could play that one while she's awake :)

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Literally right now I'm mucking around in War Thunder.

Got my backer key for Phoenix Point last week, played about 4 minutes before it locked up on me.
Also picked up Creeper World 4 and Per Aspera last week, both good enough to recommend.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Literally right now I'm mucking around in War Thunder.

Got my backer key for Phoenix Point last week, played about 4 minutes before it locked up on me.
Also picked up Creeper World 4 and Per Aspera last week, both good enough to recommend.

Per Aspera looks a lot like Surviving Mars. Have you ever played that one?

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Per Aspera looks a lot like Surviving Mars. Have you ever played that one?
Yes, I found Per Aspera to be better imo. Surviving Mars was missing something for me, probably the terraforming aspect.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Just finished The Outer Worlds today. It was ok. Started out great, but by the end I was rushing through it. Everything started to look the same, and I lost interest in the story, felt like just doing the same things over and over.

Probably going to go back to elite dangerous since I finally got a flight stick (thanks Microsoft Flight Simulator) at a fair price, until cyberpunk releases on Wednesday? I think.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Currently I am playing World of Tanks (as I have for 6 years).

For single player games I am about 80% through Rise of the Tomb Raider. Got it on the summer steam sale, really enjoying it. A nice improvement over Tomb Raider 2013, which was also good.

And I am also playing Baldur's Gate 3. Which is early access.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Grim Dawn. Holy smokes....what a deep game. There are so many stats, so many items, I spend 90% of my play time just comparing item A to item B. Which is a chore, to be honest. But then when RNG blesses me (rarely) and I get something that really improves my build, I feel awesome.

Just got my first piece of "legendary" gear.....and it (of course) isn't really meant for my class (shaman). But hey, I got a legendary drop!

In Grim Dawn, even the secret areas have secret areas so exploration is fun.

Yeah, I'll be getting the DLCs.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The Talos Principle and Dead Space. Good high contrast alternate games.

TTP is ultra chill, just what the doctor ordered after a long day of work. I really appreciate how much *not* like Portal it is despite the incessant comparisons: the puzzles are less twitch based and more planning/timing based. Little chance of death and nearly no penalty for actually dying. The story is almost entirely delivered through text and the game includes a lot of very intriguing philosophical musings about AI/life etc.

Dead Space looks like it lives in that space between a claustrophobic horror game and a Third Person Shooter. It has the horror game elements of the jump scares, dimly lit environments, feakish body horror mutations for enemies; but at the same time your character is more than capable of taking the enemies on head to head, all enemies drop ammo/supplies, you can take a pretty solid beating before dying. I am generally turned off by horror games but Dead Space thus far is navigating the path between action and horror extremely well.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I really enjoyed Control recently and stumbled into the Alan Wake area that came in one of the expansions ... so went back and started playing the OG Alan Wake, which I hadn’t played back when it came out. Pretty easy yet enjoyable and interesting game. I like the world building that Remedy has going on there, pretty cool scifi concept. I’m most of the way through it now and aiming to finish by tomorrow night so I can jump into CP2077 on release night.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I finished playing Black Mesa few days ago that i got on sale this past sale event on Steam. What a game! I enjoyed it so much. Way better than Doom and Doom Eternal put together.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I am generally turned off by horror games but Dead Space thus far is navigating the path between action and horror extremely well.

Completely agree. I found Dead Space 2 to be of similar fun. To me, the weapons make those games fun. There's something interesting about NOT aiming for headshots.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Been playing RDR2 for the last month or so. I actually bought it at launch for PS4 and got bored to death by it so sold it. Picked it up on PC last month and got hooked into it after a couple of days this time. Guess I just wasn't in the mood for a kind of aimless sandbox when I got it at launch but really was in the mood for that kind of game when I started it again, and it's pretty good if you want to play a sandbox.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I really enjoyed Control recently and stumbled into the Alan Wake area that came in one of the expansions ... so went back and started playing the OG Alan Wake, which I hadn’t played back when it came out. Pretty easy yet enjoyable and interesting game. I like the world building that Remedy has going on there, pretty cool scifi concept. I’m most of the way through it now and aiming to finish by tomorrow night so I can jump into CP2077 on release night.

I really gotta play both of those. I enjoyed the hell out of Quantum Break and consider it one of the most underrated games of the last few years, but haven't played anything else by Remedy.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I really gotta play both of those. I enjoyed the hell out of Quantum Break and consider it one of the most underrated games of the last few years, but haven't played anything else by Remedy.

Yeah I’m going to play Quantum Break as well for sure when I get a chance. I think it’s supposed to be a separate story in the same universe but you wouldn’t know it until Control ties it together ... don’t know that for sure though.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Completely agree. I found Dead Space 2 to be of similar fun. To me, the weapons make those games fun. There's something interesting about NOT aiming for headshots.

- The game does a good job of quickly deprogramming you of the "torso/headshot" habit and forces you to target the arms and legs of enemies. And of course, blowing off the arms or the legs changes the enemy behavior so now you have to deal with a weird crab necromorph instead of something that was standing a few seconds ago.

Reactions: rivethead

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Grim Dawn. Holy smokes....what a deep game. There are so many stats, so many items, I spend 90% of my play time just comparing item A to item B. Which is a chore, to be honest. But then when RNG blesses me (rarely) and I get something that really improves my build, I feel awesome.

Just got my first piece of "legendary" gear.....and it (of course) isn't really meant for my class (shaman). But hey, I got a legendary drop!

In Grim Dawn, even the secret areas have secret areas so exploration is fun.

Yeah, I'll be getting the DLCs.
Ashes of Malmouth and the new classes from the expansions are ridiculously good. The expansions are so in-depth that they could almost hold their own as a stand-alone game. And as for the "secrets have secrets..." I don't want to spoil anything, but you likely haven't even scratched the surface of all the secrets in Grim Dawn. Crate outdid themselves when they decided to hide everything in the game. Also congrats on finding your first legendary. Certain areas and certain bosses have higher chances to drop better loot, so once you learn who to farm, you'll start rolling in high-end gear. I would highly suggest looking into Grim Vault to help organize your gear. Even with the extra tabs available for transfer storage, if you put any reasonable time in GD, you're going to run out of room fast.

For me, I just finished up They Are Billions campaign and I'm still playing Escape from Tarkov while I wait for the next wipe. Since I just completed TAB, I'm looking for something else to play but I'm not sure what that should be since I'm mainly whittling down my backlog. I think I still have around 140 games on Steam that I haven't touched yet, so I have plenty of choose from.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The "Waiting to download Cyberpunk" game.

But the last couple of weeks, I've been playing WH 40k Inquisitor: Martyr, and maybe also Prophecy? honestly not sure which one I'm playing now. I load Martyr, but apparently everything is Prophecy?

Fun ARPG with the type of stats and build and item system and crafting or whatever you'd expect, but in awesomely ridiculous WH 40k world. I'm not getting into the daily grind or the normal "end game" type stuff that this game deploys--besides, it seems that this game is completely dead from a community perspective? But I'm liking the story campaigns enough. The grindy stuff to improve your stats by 5% over the course of 100 or more hours certainly looks to be very grindy early on, so I find it easy to just ignore that crap.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Ashes of Malmouth and the new classes from the expansions are ridiculously good. The expansions are so in-depth that they could almost hold their own as a stand-alone game. And as for the "secrets have secrets..." I don't want to spoil anything, but you likely haven't even scratched the surface of all the secrets in Grim Dawn. Crate outdid themselves when they decided to hide everything in the game. Also congrats on finding your first legendary. Certain areas and certain bosses have higher chances to drop better loot, so once you learn who to farm, you'll start rolling in high-end gear. I would highly suggest looking into Grim Vault to help organize your gear. Even with the extra tabs available for transfer storage, if you put any reasonable time in GD, you're going to run out of room fast.

Thanks for the tip on Grim Vault!

Timing is going to work out very well (I think)…..I should finish the base game Grim Dawn about the time the Steam Winter sale starts....and Ashes of Malmouth is at the top of my list.

I've focused on just a two-handed melee Shaman build, but I think it's about time select my next mastery (thinking of going Druid).

And after about 50 hours, I'm only now starting to realize how important resistances are (especially those non-elemental ones like chaos, vitality, aether, etc.). In some respects, this game has a steep learning curve.

Dec 6, 2008
Currently I am playing World of Tanks (as I have for 6 years).

For single player games I am about 80% through Rise of the Tomb Raider. Got it on the summer steam sale, really enjoying it. A nice improvement over Tomb Raider 2013, which was also good.

And I am also playing Baldur's Gate 3. Which is early access.

jesus those are some abysmally boring games man... dont worry some good games to reactivate your brain try teardown, superliminal and return of obra dim

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
jesus those are some abysmally boring games man... dont worry some good games to reactivate your brain try teardown, superliminal and return of obra dim

Trolling is not allowed on these forums. I know the only reasons you responded here is because you didn't like my response to your other post.

Just move along.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I broke down and bought Doom Eternal on the Steam sale. It's mostly fun and very pretty. As others warned, the platforming gets old. I've died falling into lava way more often than through combat.

I also bought Metro Exodus on sale. Just starting out with it but it seems pretty good so far.

Wolfenstein - Wonder Twins is still my go to for mindless blowing stuff up. I think I'm leveled up to 209 right now, all but immortal. :p