So what are the best android apps?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
is there an app to use your phone as a security camera and uploads the vids to a local NAS? the apps i found only save in the phone or 3rd party cloud, which can be costly.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
A gaming app I bought a few days ago.... 'Table Tennis Touch'... Dang, what a blast, and I'm really not a phone/gamer.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Foxfi PdaNet! http://foxfi.com/

I would have had to pay an additional $15/month just so that I could tether my phone to a computer for Internet. With this App I don't have to! It's free and it works!

No rooting required.

I first tried using Bluetooth for a connection and it worked, but as yo9u can imagine wasn't as fast. I then used USB and that was a lot faster! I have yet to turn the phone into a WIFI hotspot.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Nova Launcher Prime is on sale atm for $0.99 on the google play store.

I used Apex Launcher and Nova launcher which both have good free versions (some features turned off but still both are snappier than most non-stock interfaces and imo I like them better than the stock UI). Apex Launcher free is a bit better than Nova Launcher free

but after trying out both paid versions I think that Nova Launcher Prime edges out Apex Pro.

While a lot of people swear by the stock UI, at $0.99 cents for a fast snappy very customizable UI it's worth trying, even though it can take some time to set up just the way you like.

It's been on sale for a while so I don't know how much longer the current price will last.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Anyone know of a widget that displays mobile data usage? I'd like to watch my total casually.

Not a widget but I use "Internet Speed Meter Lite" which shows the speed in use in the notifications and if you pull down the notifications it will show you the Cell and Wireless data used for that day.

You can also set the starting day of the month to match your billing cycle so that when you open the full app you know how much of your alloted data allowance you have used for that billing cycle.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Speaking of network speed... I have an App called Network Cell Info Lite that shows info about cell signal strength and location of the cell tower on a Google map. The location is derived from a database though. So I don't think it's that accurate. I say that due in large part there is a cell site on the roof of the high school down the street that showed I got my signal from there. Now that I look at the map again it says the cell signal is coming from a cell site about 3 miles away now.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Found another. Satellite AR. Will show you Satellites over head and Sats that could be visible. I used to watch Sats fly over head at night so this App will come in useful.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Voice access by Google is pretty cool. It's an early access thing in the play store so it's still early development but it gives you total voice control over your phone.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Voice access by Google is pretty cool. It's an early access thing in the play store so it's still early development but it gives you total voice control over your phone.

I just tried Voice Access, wow is this cool. Needs some work but I really like it!

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Foxfi PdaNet! http://foxfi.com/

I would have had to pay an additional $15/month just so that I could tether my phone to a computer for Internet. With this App I don't have to! It's free and it works!

No rooting required.

I first tried using Bluetooth for a connection and it worked, but as yo9u can imagine wasn't as fast. I then used USB and that was a lot faster! I have yet to turn the phone into a WIFI hotspot.

just don't complain when your carrier terminates your service