So what are the best android apps?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
/throws up

Commercial radio sucks. Same songs over and over and over.

If I had to guess I'd say it's because you can listen to various morning radio shows from outside the region they broadcast in. At least that's the only good thing I see in that app.

lockart

Aug 13, 2015
this is really helpful.. thanks for compiling this guys.. thanks OP.. gonna root my phone.. loving it

Liga

Aug 19, 2015
I use Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Waze, Whats app, Shazam, Messenger, Instagram, Viber, Flipboard, Dopbox, Chrome, Flashlight and Avast.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
None of Android apps are the best but I am still playing Candy Soda app to kill my boredom

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'm not a huge "apps" guy but here's a few I like or find useful:

Games:
- 94%: Kind of a "Family Feud" type game (single player though).
- Trivia Crack: Strangely enough, a trivia game (multiplayer).
- Worms 2 Armageddon: Worms!

Apps:
- AppMgr III: Move apps to SD card. Has some other utilities too, clean-up, etc.
- ES File Explorer: Most awesome file explorer utility.
- FtpCafe: FTP app, nothin special.
- FuelLog: Keep track of your car's gas mileage. You can also put in other expenses but I just use it for gas mileage. Has stats and graphs too.
- Scanner Radio: Tune into police and other scanners/dispatches. I don't really use it, but have it installed "just in case" I guess, and for novelty.
- Serval Mesh: Free app that allows cell phones to communicate during an emergency/disaster when the networks are down. I was reading a novel where these types of apps were mentioned and I decided to get one cause it seems like it could be a damn good thing to have.
- Swype: I used to use this, and it works great, but since I got an ASUS Zenfone 2 I've been using the ASUS keyboard because its keyboard supports swipe-input by default and it has a numeral row as well.
- Timely: Very nice looking alarm/clock/stopwatch.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Since I put Cyanogenmod on my phone, I lost the default ASUS camera which had a ton of nice options/settings. So now I'm stuck with the default camera (Google Camera?) which has like 4 total configurable settings. Even though I don't use my camera a lot, this one is horrible.

Do you guys have any recommendations for camera apps? I wish I knew more about CM and ROMs and stuff. I'd love to put a CM build together with the ASUS Camera, and maybe a couple other stock apps, stripped from the stock ROM.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Since I put Cyanogenmod on my phone, I lost the default ASUS camera which had a ton of nice options/settings. So now I'm stuck with the default camera (Google Camera?) which has like 4 total configurable settings. Even though I don't use my camera a lot, this one is horrible.

Do you guys have any recommendations for camera apps? I wish I knew more about CM and ROMs and stuff. I'd love to put a CM build together with the ASUS Camera, and maybe a couple other stock apps, stripped from the stock ROM.

cyanogenmod has their own camera (I think it's called Focus) that has decent options.

jennywatson655

Dec 14, 2015
Use CleanMaster in your Android phone it will finish your unnecessary files and history and for the Camera you can use Retrica and Candicam or B612 for the different types of images with different colors.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Skiing Yeti Mountain is a great casual game. It seems simple at first but as you get through more levels it gets more challenging. I haven't been playing many games as of late but this one is good.

monkey333

Apr 20, 2007
Anyone know of a widget that displays mobile data usage? I'd like to watch my total casually.

jennywatson655

Dec 14, 2015
It depends on you how you wanna use your Android phone like are an entertaining person? If yes, then you can install different apps related to Cameras, Music and so on. But I will recommend you to install CCleaner because It will finish all of your temporary files and make your phone smooth all the time. :)

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
It depends on you how you wanna use your Android phone like are an entertaining person? If yes, then you can install different apps related to Cameras, Music and so on. But I will recommend you to install CCleaner because It will finish all of your temporary files and make your phone smooth all the time. :)

I've used ccleaner on my PC for years. Excellent.

I didn't realize they had a version for Android... will prob get it.

Last edited:

DealODay

Dec 13, 2015
Quick click so I can turn on and off the flash light without turning on the screen. It's even significantly brighter than the stock flashlight app.

Unit Converter, it has everything on it and the GUI is very simple to use without the need of much tapping. It's all laid out

MagicJack to call anywhere for free in North America

Splashtop to operate my computer from my phone

As for games, CS portable, it's like a android counterstrike port

and World of Tanks Blitz, it's WoT for your phone

rajwoo

Banned
Jan 14, 2016
Offline GPS depends upon your hardware,, is there A-GPS, Beidou, GLONASS etc.. for better positioning..

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
So far I use Teamviewer a lot. Teamspeak, AndFTP, AndrOpen Office, Mr.Number Blacklist, HandyGPS, Weatherbug, Weather Underground, WIFI File Transfer, Avira which is nice because you can lock your phone if lost and track your phone on your computer. Bluetooth Firewall, iHeartRadio, Pandora, and HERE Maps.