News So, uh, Velma is apparently a thing

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

New Scooby Do spinoff. Except now it's "adults only", there's graphic gore and gratuitous nudity, there's no dog, and now Velma is South Asian?

I'm all for more representation of other races in my media, but why even pretend this is the same character? Why not just make this a new cartoon, instead of slathering it in Corporate Synergy?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

New Scooby Do spinoff. Except now it's "adults only", there's graphic gore and gratuitous nudity, there's no dog, and now Velma is South Asian?

I'm all for more representation of other races in my media, but why even pretend this is the same character? Why not just make this a new cartoon, instead of slathering it in Corporate Synergy?
A little controversy always results in publicity.
Then after the curiosity is whipped up, people who gotta see it to evaluate will pay for a subby to the streaming service.

Then who knows...if the show is good...great work by the creator. If it doesn't, well, that's just the norm.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

When will it be out?

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
iyyhdsH.gif

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
There should definitely be a dog. That would make it good.

Reactions: zinfamous

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Meh, if / when I get hbo max for a bit, I might give it a spin. Don’t really care what all the hubbub is about, not concerned with her ethnicity at all. It’s a cartoon about a brainiac good at detecting…lol

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
From what I recently heard, the original script for those ~recent live action Scooby Do movies actually had Velma and Daphne as lovers (I'm guessing the idea started as fan fiction, then 30 drafts later, became those movies).

I'm guessing this thing is sort of based off of that "hidden" Hollywood history about how the sausage is made.