So this bike handle's talking to a bike fork

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
So, I got out my bike yesterday, and took a ride on a very nice hilly trail. It was also very rocky, which meant quite a bit of going over rocks with the wheels. Well, the front wheel sometimes started going over the rocks, and while I was holding the handle straight, the wheel would twist of its own accord, and move out of alignment with the handle (as in the bottom half of the column, or whatever it's called. the fork part, not just the wheel)

It got to a point where I had to adjust it every so often, and the handle/fork connection was very loose.

I got home, and tightened a nut I saw at the bottom of the handle (on the top of the frame), but that didn't fix anything.

Any bikers in here have any ideas what I can do to get a more rigid bike ?

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
Position your body back more so the weight is on the back. I've seen some guys almost have their belly to the seat. Also having good upper body strengh helps.

What kind of bike do you own and shocks? It doesn't sound right that you're adjusting each time, I just have hard tail with judy shocks and I ride pretty agressive to something similar you've done. Is it still under warranty?

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
First, loosen that nut that you tightened as you're probably now putting too much on your bearings. Second, you need to tighten the allen screw that is at the very center of the axis of your fork on top of the handle bar neck

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: newbiepcuser
Position your body back more so the weight is on the back. I've seen some guys almost have their belly to the seat. Also having good upper body strengh helps.

What kind of bike do you own and shocks?

I have pretty good upper body strength - I work out enough so that that's not a concern.

This is an old bike. Not a very good one, but I use it because I don't take riding all too seriously :p

Pacific something from Toys'R'Us :eek:

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Amorphus

I have pretty good upper body strength - I work out enough so that that's not a concern.

This is an old bike. Not a very good one, but I use it because I don't take riding all too seriously :p

You serious? Careful, you could really hurt youself out there. I hope you didn't buy your helmet from them also.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Pacific something from Toys'R'Us

thats the problim

serioudly tho you need to tighten the 2 allen screws that connect the stem to the fork

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Amorphus

You serious? Careful, you could really hurt youself out there. I hope you didn't buy your helmet from them also.

It's a tame trail that I go on anyways. More or less, anyways.

What sort of thing could go wrong? As far as I know, it wasn't a cheap bike, either (but it's old.)

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
Listen to Anubis and tighten them up. I've seen guys fly over their handle bars cause the fork snap and they did a superman. Then they go head first into the ground.

Its during the rocky part I'm worrying about where something could go wrong, unless we have different definition of what rocky is?

I consider my bike cheap and I paid $400 without accessories.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
First, loosen that nut that you tightened as you're probably now putting too much on your bearings. Second, you need to tighten the allen screw that is at the very center of the axis of your fork on top of the handle bar neck

WINNAR!