Question So there is no hope for LGA 2011-v3, right?

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
I've been out of CPU games for a while but it does look like socket LGA 2011-v3 is pretty much dead.

Should I just get Ryzen 3900 and switch?

Video/Photo/Games is my usage.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
It's an older platform but it checks out. The Haswell E chips also OC pretty well. Of course it has been discontinued, and there is newer stuff out. This is what happens when time goes by :D If you need more cores though, I think AMD Zen 2 stuff is the obvious answer.

Reactions: bigi

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
He could run Broadwell-E on there, no? Never mind that Broadwell-E is pretty unremarkable these days versus CoffeeLake or what have you.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
2011 v3 is still capable of some really good performance.

What is the rest of your build like at present? Is everything working well, or is there an app or game you want more out of?

Context is EVERYTHING in cases like this. Say you had a Xeon E5-1660v3, 16GB Quad Channel DDR3-1866, and a GeForce 780 3GB, and you were seeing poor performance in Control and Assassin's Creed Odyssey. In that case, spending a fortune on an i9-9900KS or 3900X would net you basically zilch for improvement unless you also paired it with a new GPU. And unless that GPU was at least a 2080 Super, you'd still see GPU bottlenecks with either the Socket 2011 build or a new Ryzen or i9 build.

CPU performance hasn't moved much per core in years. What has changed is better access to high core counts for consumer sockets. However, you are already on a socket that provides tons of cores, relatively cheap on the secondary market.

My gut is that your best economic use is to upgrade your existing setup depending on your needs, or basically a light rebuild depending on what you've got. Going to an nVME SSD, fresh W10 install (basically mandatory these days due to security unless you are willing to jump to Linux), and a fresh GPU if you game, and even a platform that has some years on it can feel like a brand new system.

However, all of this is hypothetical until we have more info.

At minimum we need :

What current

CPU
Mobo
Ram (and number of sticks)
HDDs, SSDs, and optical drive if any
Cooling, both CPU and case fans
Case
PSU
GPU
Monitor or Monitors
OS
List of apps and or games you have that run well
List of apps and or games you have that you'd like to run better
List of apps and or games you want to run or are considering in the future
And finally, the available budget for any potential new hardware

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
CPU performance hasn't moved much per core in years.

I'm not sure I 100% agree there. On the Intel side, Intel users are getting much better performance in games (at least) just from clockspeed. LGA2011-v3 is limited mostly to 4.5GHz-ish Haswells or 4.2GHz-ish Broadwells. Anything faster than that requires going to serious lengths for additional clockspeed. Compare this to a 5 GHz 9700K - not that hard to get - and the CoffeeLake slaughters anything LGA2011-v3 can throw at it in almost every benchmark. I think the MT champ for the platform was the 6950X while ST champ was . . . probably the 5930K? Maybe? Or the 5820K depending on whom you ask.

Yeah, he needs a new GPU, and yeah, maybe a 4.5 GHz Haswell wouldn't bottleneck him too much at 1440P or 4K. In anything productivity-related, though, 2011 v-3 is just gonna be hot and slow. A 3900x would be a direct upgrade to anything he could run on LGA2011v-3 in every possible application. A 9700k would be an upgrade in 95-99% of scenarios. Even if he doesn't want to splash big on a 3900x, a 9700k should still be attainable and give him the punch he needs to retire that old machine of his. In a few months, the 9900K may get a lot cheaper, too.

Actually if he wants to go 9700k, I would advocate waiting for Black Friday which is right around the corner. 9900KS is coming, and that should bring down prices in the Intel stack. Should.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
That's where all the context comes into play. If he games at 1440p with a 1070 or 1080 or so, the difference will be fairly nil for gaming.

And while the 3900X would be faster for productivity, what's the use case exactly? If it's something he's doing an hour or more a day on, sure, that would be useful for him. But say it's a small project a handful of times a month or even less. And how large a project at a time are we talking? Turning 22 minutes into 10 minutes once a week is not really worth it. But turning 12 hours into 5 hours per week, that would suddenly be huge for him.

I have CL, Threadripper, Zen+, and Zen2 builds. They've all been good to excellent, but most of the excuse for me to work with them is more of it being both a hobby and my work to do so rather than any actual pressing need. Only going high refresh and big on GPU (from 1080 Strix to 1080ti Aorus to 2080ti over the last year) has seen me pushing the envelope of CPU along with it. If I was gaming on a 60hz panel, or still on the 1080, I'd see no difference for gaming even with the old 1650v2 OC build.

Better is always out there, it's just a question of if it's worth it, or even noticeable in many circumstances.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
We don't know. He just said video and photo. And we don't know what he has in his LGA 2011-v3 setup either. At this point a 3700x might actually be faster for him.

Hence my post asking for context and info :)

He may be fine with what he has
He may be fine with some minor upgrades
He may be a good candidate for an entire platform update

We will remain in the dark until he comes back I guess.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just IMHO, but Haswell is still a semi-viable platform, for many people and usages. Whether that be HEDT Haswell, or consumer Haswell (at the very highest-end).

OTOH, Ryzen 3000-series offers a tangible increase in IPC, at the cost of some top clock-speed (some people got their 4790K Haswell quads to 4.5Ghz+ all-core, whereas, you would be hard-pressed to get a Ryzen 3000-series, regardless of rated boost, to an all-core clock of much higher than 4.3Ghz, maybe 4.4Ghz if you hit the silicon lottery really well. But OH, that IPC increase plus L3 cache size increase, it's like heaven. Clock-speed isn't everything, as we learned from the P4 era.)

Edit: Plus, Haswell (4th-Gen Core) I think, is when Intel introduced AVX2, so it's highly compatible with modern software.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Edit: Plus, Haswell (4th-Gen Core) I think, is when Intel introduced AVX2, so it's highly compatible with modern software.

Haswell running AVX2 isn't really that fast though, compared to CoffeeLake or Matisse. Example:

Here, the fastest 5960X (58.598s) loses to the slowest 3700x (54.988) with both CPUs using customized AVX2 code. And that's the best-case scenario for a 5960X in a productivity/HPC-style workload. Stuff like CBR20 is a bloodbath:

vs

4.2 GHz isn't even that great for an 8c Matisse . . .

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
What is the rest of your build like at present? Is everything working well, or is there an app or game you want more out of?
1080Ti - Asus Rog Strix Gaming
64GB RAM/ Gskill DDR4
Intel 750SSD 800GB - OS Drive PCI-E
Corsair 2GB SSD - 'Storage' drive PCI-E

No complaints, really. My turbo for CPU has been set up to 4.4 GHz which has been stable.

I thought that if this still is a platform which might see new CPUs I'd upgrade at some point.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Nice build! Yeah, there won't be anything new, but there are still some options that you might find a deal on down the line should you feel like it. You have a 6C/12T, but there are also 8C/16T and 10C/20T options. Probably not worth it economically at this point, but you never know what you might see later on.

And if you can run the Xeon 2011v3 then you can go higher core counts with the Haswell E5s, up to 18C/36T. Again the highest SKU is always overpriced. But the 2698 is a 16C/32T that sells for 400ish now. The thing is that you get more cores, but slower clocks overall vs what you already have. So it would only pay off in very highly threaded stuff.

With your 1080ti, you've probably about perfectly balanced with what you already have. Particularly if you do a mild all core OC.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@bigi

Gaming-wise, I don't think you'd gain that much from an upgrade. Also you have your system OCed so it will perform better than a stock 6800k. Here's a 3900x vs stock 6800k for comparison:

You can increase the 6800k scores by about 20% to get a better idea of how your system stacks up (3900x can also be tweaked to run maybe 10-15% faster than what shows up in AT's Bench).

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
1080Ti - Asus Rog Strix Gaming
64GB RAM/ Gskill DDR4
Intel 750SSD 800GB - OS Drive PCI-E
Corsair 2GB SSD - 'Storage' drive PCI-E

No complaints, really. My turbo for CPU has been set up to 4.4 GHz which has been stable.

I thought that if this still is a platform which might see new CPUs I'd upgrade at some point.
unless you need every last of fps in critical situations and you are a high FPS gamer, oced 6800K is still good performing chip

IMO for that productivity, lots of it is overrated...unless you are waiting directly for the result, you can achieve more by good task management/FPY than buying new HW
videos can be transcoded by night runs
I have a 3900X and all I can say its an overkill for desktop

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I have a 3900X and all I can say its an overkill for desktop

That is kind of true. Some professionals or semi-pros will want that power. Otherwise it's one of those "it's nice to have when you need it" kind of things. But how often do you need it? Some folks think it's a good idea to drop hundreds or even thousands having some extra juice on those rare occasions. And some don't.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
My recommendation is to stay with what you have. I have a 6900K at 4.2ghz with 32GB of DDR4 3466 CL15 and a Titan Xp. I use this rig primarily for gaming, with some encoding/transcoding every so often. So far, this rig has not disappointed me in any endeavor. Broadwell is still a robust core, with a much better memory controller than Haswell plus increased IPC and SIMD performance.

I thought about building a 3900x rig myself, but I decided against it because when I upgrade my platform, I want a bigger performance increase in IPC, so I'll probably wait until Zen 3 or Sunny/Willow cove, which will hopefully make it to desktop before I die.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
With a 4.4 GHz turbo, that 6800k is a beast. I would stay with what you have, at least for a little while longer, unless there is a particular reason to upgrade. You likely won't need to upgrade until there is an RTX 3080 (Ti) or a Radeon 5900 XT. Then you could consider upgrading the 1080 Ti to one of those, and possibly the CPU/mobo with a 9900KS platform, or possibly the best AMD gaming chip, whatever that be at the time.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Shmee

Honestly, if he's upgrading from a 6800k, he should be looking either at the nicely-discounted Cascade Lake-X chips or maybe Threadripper3 (which will not be nicely discounted). Though the mesh on Cascade Lake-X will require some . . . tweaking, I'm sure. In the here-and-now there are some cheaper upgrades that would still be a nice boost. Waiting a little while will produce even better options.