So there are no more AGP cards being made?

karma4jake

Aug 26, 2004
Built my current A64 system about a year ago which has a A64 3000+, 1gb DDR, 160gb HD, Asus A8V deluxe and an EVGA 6800gt. I don't keep up with hardware except when building new systems. Did I hear there are going to be no more AGP cards made? If so that sucks. Are memory speeds continually increasing in speed or will my 1gb ram be ok for a couple years?

karma4jake

Aug 26, 2004
But will the ram speeds be good in a couple years. For example will I be able to take my two 512 sticks out in 2 years and use them in a new m/b or will they be too old. I have corsair valuram I believe now but can't remember the PC of it.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Um, 1GB is still fine for now, but 2GB is starting to become more and more required.

AGP is dying out... there are still a few AGP being made, and we might see this generation of cards (ATi's x1x00 and nVidia's 7x00) in AGP, but I don't think we're going to get any more than that. :(

Norm

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Two years is like 4 lifetimes in the computer world. Intel has already made the move, or at least started to make the move, to DDR2 DIMMS, and I'm sure AMD is coming out with their own DDR2 boards as well. But 2 years from now? Sheesh, they could have DDR4 or something completely different by then.

FYI, there are a multitude of motherboards right now that you can use with your current RAM and have a PCI-e slot. Or Two! Any 939 AMD based mobo will use it.

Since you are already using one of the fastest AGP cards already, the only thing I think you can upgrade to would be like an X850XTPE or like that. But not worth the performance increase to change. You just may have to get yourself a new mobo, which can be had pretty cheaply these days, so you can upgrade your graphics board to a PCI-e card.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Some rumors say AMD is skipping DDR2.

Going directly to DDR3

Wentelteefje

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
Yup, Socket M2 will support quad-core Opterons and DDR2, and eventually they'll step up to DDR3...

I read somewhere we could still be expecting a 7800GS on AGP, but it were only rumours...

It was here...

hmorphone

Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Wentelteefje
Yup, Socket M2 will support quad-core Opterons and DDR2, and eventually they'll step up to DDR3...

I read somewhere we could still be expecting a 7800GS on AGP, but it were only rumours...

It was here...

Problem is, according to Anandtech, turns out there will be no 7800GS's...

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Except that isn't what was said. You need to learn to speak PR- a very clever language it is. Given what was stated(where you likely understood it to mean no 7800GSs) I was lead to believe that the 7800GS will be launching in the not too distant future in AGP.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: cevilgenius
Um, 1GB is still fine for now, but 2GB is starting to become more and more required.

Norm

Can you provide a link to a game other than Battlefield2 that benefits from more than 1GB RAM?

I'm asking, as I'm unaware of any.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
To name a few:

-Medal of Honor Pacific Assault.
-Call of Duty 2.
-Vampire Bloodlines.
-Fear.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Rollo

Norm

Can you provide a link to a game other than Battlefield2 that benefits from more than 1GB RAM?

I'm asking, as I'm unaware of any.

A lot of the newer titles will use more than 1 GB if you have it.

Sure, you can run 'em with 1 GB, but then during map sections loads, etc., you'll get that little stutter (or a big one).

CKXP

Nov 20, 2005
Originally posted by: karma4jake
Built my current A64 system about a year ago which has a A64 3000+, 1gb DDR, 160gb HD, Asus A8V deluxe and an EVGA 6800gt. I don't keep up with hardware except when building new systems. Did I hear there are going to be no more AGP cards made? If so that sucks. Are memory speeds continually increasing in speed or will my 1gb ram be ok for a couple years?

i sure hope this turns out to be true:

http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2058

Nextman916

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
It runs smoother on 2gb for FEAR it becomes less choppy at some parts but even with one gig its only an occasionaly stutter. 2 gigs is probably uneeded it prolly only exceeds a gig by a little but thats what makes it jump from time to time. And im not aware of any other game in bfg's list though besides fear.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Only Battlefield 2 benefits from 2 GB ... and that's not because the game has a very complex engine, but mainly because it's simply a system resources hog due to the way it was coded.

I mean, compare BF 2's engine to say ... Source engine. Play BF 2 and Half-Life 2 for one hour, and tell me which one lets you come back to the Desktop without your HDD working like hell.

That game (BF 2) stutters even on my system. It's always happening at just when the map loading is completed, and I enter the game.

It stutters like no tommorow for at least two or three minutes, and it eventually stops to let super-smooth gameplay, and frame rate never drops too low. No lag either.

And when I come back to the Desktop after playing it for say ... 30 minutes, I immediately open the Task Manager, and look at BF 2's .exe and see how much RAM it takes. Usually it takes about 860 MB, and lowers itself to eventually terminate itself (the process). While the .exe is preparing to terminate, the HDD works to a point where my Desktop reacts to everything extremely slowly.

Even F.E.A.R. is much smoother than that, and never slaugther my Desktop "performance" like that when I quit it. Same goes with H-L ² or Doom 3 or UT 2004. Or any other games I own.

hmorphone

Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker

Except that isn't what was said. You need to learn to speak PR- a very clever language it is. Given what was stated(where you likely understood it to mean no 7800GSs) I was lead to believe that the 7800GS will be launching in the not too distant future in AGP.

That darn PR, gets me every time:eek:. If this is the case, why not just launch an AGP 7800GT?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: karma4jake

70 per cent of upgrade market is still AGP

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002

There isn't a single PC game on the market that requires 2GB of ram

touchmyichi

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
i really think its absurd that neither nvidia or ATI wants to cash in on the huge agp market right now. If either made an AGP product of their top end it would be completely unrivaled for this large segment of users.