So the PS3 has HDMI output...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Qwest

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
isnt ps3 capable of 1080p games?
in that case, almost no one can take full advantage of this unless they have a 1080p tv.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: BDawg
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
I imagine HDMI -> Whatever adaptors will be sold. Sony is not going to leave anybody hanging.

That won't work with DRM protected content though.

Viper GTS

Well, they do have an AV Multiout on the back of the PS3. A component/composite adaptor will probably hook up there. Pic of PS3 rear

Why does it look like the ps3 has 3 ethernet ports? wtf are you gonna do with 3 of them

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: blazert40
Originally posted by: 777php
Huh? They already do have adapters.

HDMI - DVI adapter + DVI - component adapter

What he said.

There would be absolutely no point in the intermediate conversion of HDMI to DVI. HDMI to DVI is a simple physical change, as long as the recipient DVI port supports the DRM measures incorporated on the stream it will work. Any conversion from HDMI to analog could be run straight from the HDMI signal.

The problem is that a conversion of that digital signal to an inherently unsecure analog format would be a violation of the DMCA.

Technically possible? Of course.

Will it be supported by Sony? Of course not.

Viper GTS

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
Originally posted by: herkulease
Originally posted by: BDawg
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
I imagine HDMI -> Whatever adaptors will be sold. Sony is not going to leave anybody hanging.

That won't work with DRM protected content though.

Viper GTS

Well, they do have an AV Multiout on the back of the PS3. A component/composite adaptor will probably hook up there. Pic of PS3 rear

Why does it look like the ps3 has 3 ethernet ports? wtf are you gonna do with 3 of them

I think one is the WAN while the other two look like LAN ports. Perhaps to network connect future devices that you can share media with?

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
The PS3 has an AV Multi port and you will be able to get component that awy as people currently do with the PS2.

Koing

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Our tv has..

1x HDMI
3x Composite
2x Component
1x PC (D-Sub)

No DVI inputs.

It supports 480p & 1080i. 720p only through PC-input though :(

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
tell me why it's going to be a problem for a HDMI (which is just DVI-D w/ audio) connection to be converted to a straight DVI-D even if the content is DRM protected?

ToeJam13

May 18, 2004
Originally posted by: toekramp
tell me why it's going to be a problem for a HDMI (which is just DVI-D w/ audio) connection to be converted to a straight DVI-D even if the content is DRM protected?

There are two problems:

First, DVI-D only supports a 24-bit RGB color signal. HDMI also supports a 24-bit RGB color signal, but it also supports a 24-bit, 30-bit and 36-bit YCbCr signal. If you have a DVI-D source and a HDMI display, no problem. If however, you have a HDMI source and a DVI-D display, you may suffer from video corruption if the transmitting HDMI device switches from RGB to YCbCr. Source

Second, a source with HDCP is required to pass the "no copy" flag along to the next device. If that receiving device does not support HDCP, the source device will disable the signal if the "no copy" flag is enabled. It can become an issue because HDCP is mandatory for HDMI, but it's optional for DVI. Thus not all DVI-D enabled televisions support HDCP.

EDIT:
Now I expect that the PS3 will most likely enforce HDCP. As such, owners who purchase a HDMI-to-DVI.D cable will be able to use their console for playing games, but not for watching movies. However, I also expect that somebody will make a mod chip that will remove that requirement, since it will piss off a lot of geeks who invested $20K in their wide-screen plasma TVs or DLP projectors.

So in the long run, I do expect that people will be able to watch HDTV DVDs on their DVI-D enabled TVs. However, once again I have yet to see a consumer level DVI-to-Component tranceiver. So again, unless Koing is correct in that a component cable will be released for the aux video port, such owners will be screwed.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Qwest
in that case, almost no one can take full advantage of this unless they have a 1080p tv.

Capable, yes. But I doubt we'll see any 1080p games for a long time because of development costs and lack of hardware out there to display it. The Xbox could support 720p and 1080i but not alot of games supported those for the same reason.

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: ToeJam13

There are two problems:

First, DVI-D only supports a 24-bit RGB color signal. HDMI also supports a 24-bit RGB color signal, but it also supports a 24-bit, 30-bit and 36-bit YCbCr signal. If you have a DVI-D source and a HDMI display, no problem. If however, you have a HDMI source and a DVI-D display, you may suffer from video corruption if the transmitting HDMI device switches from RGB to YCbCr. Source

Second, a source with HDCP is required to pass the "no copy" flag along to the next device. If that receiving device does not support HDCP, the source device will disable the signal if the "no copy" flag is enabled. It can become an issue because HDCP is mandatory for HDMI, but it's optional for DVI. Thus not all DVI-D enabled televisions support HDCP.

EDIT:
Now I expect that the PS3 will most likely enforce HDCP. As such, owners who purchase a HDMI-to-DVI.D cable will be able to use their console for playing games, but not for watching movies. However, I also expect that somebody will make a mod chip that will remove that requirement, since it will piss off a lot of geeks who invested $20K in their wide-screen plasma TVs or DLP projectors.

So in the long run, I do expect that people will be able to watch HDTV DVDs on their DVI-D enabled TVs. However, once again I have yet to see a consumer level DVI-to-Component tranceiver. So again, unless Koing is correct in that a component cable will be released for the aux video port, such owners will be screwed.

thank you :)

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=23&products_id=1696&

I'm pretty dam sure this will work for video games on the ps3. The AV Multi out on the PS2 is the exact same on the PSX (original PlayStation) and the same as the PS3. I still use my scart cable from my PSX on the PS2.

If Sony somehow disable this cable it is f0cked up of Sony to do!

I can understand copy protection stuff through HDMI for HD movies but for GAMES?!

Lets hope they don't fvck it up.

Koing

Albis

Platinum Member
May 29, 2004
technology always passes people up and this doesn't shock me. when you buy brand new bleeding edge technology, it is bound to have compatiblity issues in the future when things change rapidly

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
From the FCC DOC:

In the Matter of:
Implementation of Section 304 of the
Telecommunications Act of 1996
Commercial Availability of Navigation Devices
Compatibility Between Cable Systems and
Consumer Electronics Equipment

"For example, we concluded that, at this time, a flat ban on selectable output control is necessary
in light of the extreme consequences of an MVPD?s use of that tool. By contrast, we have
proscribed down-resolution only for broadcast content ? rather than banning this tool across the
board ? because the record demonstrates that this partial ban strikes the optimal balance among
the interests of content owners, MVPDs, manufacturers, and, most importantly, consumers."

Downscaling:(

SALvation

Apr 10, 2001

Capable, yes. But I doubt we'll see any 1080p games for a long time because of development costs and lack of hardware out there to display it. The Xbox could support 720p and 1080i but not alot of games supported those for the same reason.

According to IGN, 1080p will be the standard resolution for games.

Link

Personally, I'm glad I waited to jump on the HD train and will plan on getting a 1080p HDTV early next year.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: SALvation

Link

Personally, I'm glad I waited to jump on the HD train and will plan on getting a 1080p HDTV early next year.

Geez. That's insane. Another "we've got one more thing than Xbox360" stat. What's the projections on HDTV market penetration through the next 5 years? I know it is probably higher in Japan than in the United States but still.

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: SALvation

Link

The f0ck?!

A few of the screen grabs I saw were 720p and some were 1080p :D

If 1080p is going to be the standard that will be amazing.

<- waits for 1080p 50" plasma to appear at £2.5k!

Koing

firefaux

Banned
May 5, 2005
i wouldnt be surprised if sony just happens to come out with a new 1080p hdtv with hdmi at the same time as the ps3 release.

ToeJam13

May 18, 2004

There are two problems:

EDIT:

thank you :)

You're welcome!

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
The PS3 will likely not output the copy protection bit in game mode, but only for DVDs. Thus you'll need a real DVD player.

ToeJam13

May 18, 2004
Originally posted by: firefaux
i wouldnt be surprised if sony just happens to come out with a new 1080p hdtv with hdmi at the same time as the ps3 release.

There are several very high end plasma monitors that support 1080p. Since plasma and LCD monitors can't handle interlaced signals, you have to feed the display a progressive signal.

If you're going through the trouble of incorporating a line-doubler in your monitor to upvert 1080i signals to 1080p for the display, you might as well make it handle 1080p signals natively.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
The PS3 will likely not output the copy protection bit in game mode, but only for DVDs. Thus you'll need a real DVD player.

That's what I thought immediately after I heard about this, but I was reviewing the HDCP whitepages and there was no mention of a passive mode or something equivalent. I guess they could use a switch before the HDCP kicks in, but that would open up a potential weakness int othe HDCP system which the people a Digital Content Protection LLC might not like :D

DVI-HCP uses a software key that I my bypass-able but HDMI seems to have HDCP locked in, unless I missed something.

I guess you could create a temporal key, but I really don't know much more than the whiepapers told me:(

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Dont believe anything until the PS3 actually hits the shelves and goes on sale. Sony often does not deliver on what it promises and cuts back on features.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: royaldank
Originally posted by: mwmorph
Originally posted by: SouthPaW1227
Ditto. Standard yellow/green/blue here.

DRM can lick my nuts.

fvck sony. im not buying another hi def tv just so i can play their ps2. revolution or xbox360 for me then.

Odds are games will be HD via component. It's the movie studios that care about DRM and protections like that.

Remember that the PS3 is also a BluRay-DVD player. Given that Sony will be releasing high definition movies on BluRay, they'll want to make sure that they plug the analog gap. That may mean not supporting component analog output.

Meh...you know by the time it all comes out, someone is going to have some way around all of this DRM crap anyway.