So Sunrocket is dead....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
I never did get the email. I went with Lingo. I have a friend who had only good things to say about it and I figured I could give it a shot.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
i went with teleblend. Uber easy setup. Submitted my number and payment and was back in business. Didn't even touch the gismo.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I have Packet8. Very happy with it. Flawless and never had a problem in the 4 years I have had their service.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Credit Card dispute help:

There is a 120 day limit on chargebacks normally, however, service not received is different. In a service not received case it is 120 days from the date you expected to receive it, hence you make the date expected to receive as the date you lose service. Now I don't know how each CC company will work it but even if the phone rep says it is too old ask it to still be sent to be disputed, phone reps just know 60 days from statement date time frame typically.

Or it could be done as not as described, you paid for 2 years and only got X since merchant went out of business, which for VISA would extend that time to 60 days from the date you notified your bank as long as you have been attempting to resolve this issue with the merchant.... so that one is a bit stretching it and may not work.

Just because they are out of business doesn't mean you can't get money back. Their bank will have to pay it if it is a valid chargeback, it is their banks cost of doing business.

This applies to Visa and MC only, I do not know amex or discover chargeback rules.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: eplebnista
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
I was on the verge of signing up with Sunrocket this weekend when I began reading all the bad news about them.

After more reading, I think I'm sold on MagicJack. With them, there is an initial hardware purchase of $40, the first year of service is free, then only $20 a year afterwards. Virtually everything I've read on the net about them is glowing. One nice thing about them is that you can use regular telephones.

Think about it. The telco's are waging a Lobbying war and are taking out all the little guys and you are going with a comp that is giving it away for free?

Stay away.far far away.

Well, look at it this way - the first year (both the hardware and the service) only costs $40. My monthly land line currently costs over $30 a month. If I spend $40 and MagicJack goes under in two months, I've still come out ahead (other than the annoyance of once again having to find another provider).

On the other hand, if MagicJack makes it, I'm paying only $20 a year for phone service after the first year.

The worst case scenario is that I pay $40 for a device that doesn't work. Considering that this device has been featured on CNBC by a reporter who was very enthusiastic about it, I think the risk is minimal.

That is my thinking too(that $40 is low enough to make it worth a try). Although I would use the MagicJack service just for long distance and keep my land line as it is. I just wished I had heard of it before now, as I just racked up $33 worth of long distance charges last month alone.

I ordered one and have been using the MagicJack service for a couple of weeks now and it has worked great, even on dsl lite.:thumbsup: